IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arenga engleri seeds with no embryo?

Tomas

Hi all

My Arenga engleri has produced a lot of well formed and mature fruits, with three seeds per fruit. The seeds are circa 8 mm in length, but, cutting some, I cannot find any embryo. Could it be?

Tomas

Probably not, I'm sure they are fine. Remember the embryo is very near the surface of outer shell (not say, in the middle of the seed) and can sometimes take a few cuts in different areas to find it. Some can be quite small, and hard to locate. Cut some more.

• Upvote 1

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Tomas your arenga engleri  is in the garden, or  you grow it in a pot?

Tomas la vostra arenga engleri si trova in giardino,o  la coltivate in vaso? 

GIUSEPPE

Truth is however that seed of this sp produced in a warm temperate climate have a rather low percentage of germination. I wonder whether this is also the case with seeds from tropical climates...

Edited by Phoenikakias

21 hours ago, NatureGirl said:

Probably not, I'm sure they are fine. Remember the embryo is very near the surface of outer shell (not say, in the middle of the seed) and can sometimes take a few cuts in different areas to find it. Some can be quite small, and hard to locate. Cut some more.

OK, got it, thank you for your "moral support" :-) This is after one year in wet perlite

IMG_8177.JPG

• Upvote 1

I think it is very obvious that an embryo does exist and it looks quite healthy after one whole year in medium. Why seed has not germinated yet is another story though. It could be your responsibility tfor such delay but it could also be on the seed itself, especially if it comes from the first ever produced fruits of a certain individual.

46 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

I think it is very obvious that an embryo does exist and it looks quite healthy after one whole year in medium. Why seed has not germinated yet is another story though. It could be your responsibility tfor such delay but it could also be on the seed itself, especially if it comes from the first ever produced fruits of a certain individual.

Well, they are quoted for taking one year to germinate

Arenga takes 3 months for me to sprout and at a high rate ~ 80% or higher.  They need heat to germinate and will sit there forever if the temps are too low.

• Upvote 2

Btw. While collecting and cleaning did you wear rubber gloves ? I heard those seeds have toxins which create an itching sensation when touched bare hands ?

Since even iam having one clump growing but has not flowered yet.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thank you all,

this summer was exceptionally hot and the bag with these seeds was inside the house, at the constant temperature of 28-30°C for maybe more than 3 months. I will try to heat them even more, the old and the newly collected seed.

Kris, i never had any problem with allergy connected to cleaning palm seeds, maybe this time ... I will let you know.

Tomas

Edited by Tomas