Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Repot or not?

6 posts in this topic

What would you do? Can I Repot Chambeyronia macrocarpa seedling now or wait until spring. I think that pot is too small or is it? There is still a long winter here (Finland) before spring comes. I have growth lights in the process and that seedling is growing fast. In fact, I have five seedlings at the same stage. Now the pot is 1.6 liters and the new pot is 11 liters.Thoughts? 

20171109_204537.jpg

Noooo!!!! This pot is enough for a long time.

Palms indoors needs small pots. If you plant the chamby in a 11 liters pot and you water it, the soil will be too moist for a long time.

In April or May, you can repot it but in 5 liters pot. Big pots are for a strong growers in tropical climate and of course, outdoors.

Okay! Thank you!

Agree. See my post " Chambeyronia macrocarpa from seed". That Chamby is in the same size pot as yours and is a lot bigger (read much older) than yours. I believe yours should remain in that pot for many years to come. Only repot when the roots have pretty much filled the pot. Too big pots in colder climates mean risk of root rot and damping off. Cheers.

I agree, generally, especially for palms like Chambeys that have smaller root systems.

Some "rooty" palms like Phoenix might appreciate bigger pots even when young. Braheas, for sure, especially decumbens.

Let us know how your baby grows!

Thank you very much for your advice. Of course I'm listening to you. I am still a rookie compared to you. Fortunately, I have PalmTalk and you.