IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Chamaedorea ernesti-augustii

Steve Mac

I wish that I had put these two further apart, but the upside is that they have seeded for the last few years by themselves.

I regret that I crowded the Ch. metallica too, but they seem happy enough to make first time flower spikes despite the somewhat windy position. 

They are tougher than I had expected, but we have to move the two little Ch. tenella on the right, they can't handle the exposure there to the wind.

PB080001.thumb.JPG.b1615880e58b5cdcd6a89

Seeds starting.

PB080002.thumb.JPG.22996642a484601aebfa3

PB080003.thumb.JPG.e8a6bb25d3601f218da10

A couple of others a bit younger, no flowers yet, the one back in the shade with the Ch. brachypoda is really happy.

I love the way that the brachypoda runs through the garden like bamboo, and foxtail giving some shade.

PB080004.thumb.JPG.83b99a87050f674d9bebb

and a couple of little ones from last or year before seed.

PB080008.thumb.JPG.a9da42d99ae99b5060649

PB080009.thumb.JPG.c76e41fb929fefdff8f14

• Upvote 11

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

those would be c.microspadix×c.radicalis?

do you have seeds/seedlings to sell?

All those "chamies" are magnificent.

3 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

They are one of my favourite chamaedoreas . 

even mine favorite  chamaedorea 

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

They are beautiful palms. I have to keep mine in pots. If I plant them they die within months. None of mine have ever seeded even when I keep their pots together.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

7 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

They are beautiful palms. I have to keep mine in pots. If I plant them they die within months. None of mine have ever seeded even when I keep their pots together.

Why do they die for you?

Toni, they are  ernesti-augustii, I don't sell them. I used to give seeds away,

I have sent lots of seeds overseas for free until I was warned by our customs not to.

So now it is local pick up only, which reminds me,

If anyone wants to pick up some Caryota mitis seedlings, you can have about 100.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

10 hours ago, Hammer said:

Why do they die for you?

I'm not really sure but my soil is alkaline calcareous sand that was dredged from a brackish swamp to form the Cape's canals in the late 50s. I've heavily mulched it over the years but that alkaline sand is always around and beneath. I've learned by experience other palms won't grow in the ground for me: Neoveitchia, Bentinckia, Actinorhytis, Clinostigma (research only). Other species of Chamaedorea (tepejilote, oblongata) live, grow and seed for a few years but rot off at their crownshafts in what I believe to be shortened lives. But I have a little grove of metallicas that's done well in my jungle. So my most valuable Chams (e-a, dammeriana, tuerck, deckeriana, tenella) will never leave their pots.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Very nice group. It´s also one of my favourite Chamaedoreas. Mine also form some seeds.

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Very nice palms!

You'd be surprised how tough they are, particularly C. metallica.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 11/9/2017, 9:04:25, PalmatierMeg said:

I'm not really sure but my soil is alkaline calcareous sand that was dredged from a brackish swamp to form the Cape's canals in the late 50s. I've heavily mulched it over the years but that alkaline sand is always around and beneath. I've learned by experience other palms won't grow in the ground for me: Neoveitchia, Bentinckia, Actinorhytis, Clinostigma (research only). Other species of Chamaedorea (tepejilote, oblongata) live, grow and seed for a few years but rot off at their crownshafts in what I believe to be shortened lives. But I have a little grove of metallicas that's done well in my jungle. So my most valuable Chams (e-a, dammeriana, tuerck, deckeriana, tenella) will never leave their pots.

Sounds frustrating. 

Long stalks Gonzer, I would assume northern exposure no sun?

Cheers Steve

5 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Long stalks Gonzer, I would assume northern exposure no sun?

Correct on all counts Steve. This part of the garden sees no sun, my Chamaedoreas love it. He's growing where his seed sprouted about 11 years ago.

On 11/9/2017, 12:04:25, PalmatierMeg said:

A palm-loving horticulturist friend advised me that tepejilote is highly susceptible to nematodes. Pre-Irma, my trio did wonderfully in-ground as long as I kept the mulch and Canadian peat piled on.

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 7 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017‎ ‎3‎:‎08‎:‎57‎, gtsteve said:

I wish that I had put these two further apart, but the upside is that they have seeded for the last few years by themselves.

I regret that I crowded the Ch. metallica too, but they seem happy enough to make first time flower spikes despite the somewhat windy position. 

They are tougher than I had expected, but we have to move the two little Ch. tenella on the right, they can't handle the exposure there to the wind.

PB080001.thumb.JPG.b1615880e58b5cdcd6a89

Seeds starting.

PB080002.thumb.JPG.22996642a484601aebfa3

PB080003.thumb.JPG.e8a6bb25d3601f218da10

A couple of others a bit younger, no flowers yet, the one back in the shade with the Ch. brachypoda is really happy.

I love the way that the brachypoda runs through the garden like bamboo, and foxtail giving some shade.

PB080004.thumb.JPG.83b99a87050f674d9bebb

and a couple of little ones from last or year before seed.

PB080008.thumb.JPG.a9da42d99ae99b5060649

PB080009.thumb.JPG.c76e41fb929fefdff8f14

Definitely one of the best looking Chamaedoreas, when you factor in ease of growth, probably the best. The Gucci Chamaedoreas are usually problematic.  

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B