IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

au naturel

Rod

At what point do other growers decide to stop trimming palms and let them grow and fall off as in nature?  So there is something to be said about keeping palm trees trimmed up, yet at some point don't they get too tall to trim them safely?  Obviously, there are the Washies that have to be trimmed to avoid being a pigeon magnet; but other palms like the Phoenix canariensis, Hyphaenes, bismarks, etc. that could have a clean trunk all on their own.  The P. canariensis would definitely look different than the way they are trimmed now (pineapple look).

Currently, I have several bismarkias that I have decided to "let go".  I'm having to duck under the fronds to get through my yard, but you have to start sometime!

I've let a couple of Acrocomia's go 'au naturel', obviously they are lethal to to trim and carrying off the fallen leaf is tough anyway.

I've had people comment about trimming the washies annually instead of just chopping them down!?!

I'm still waiting for the Livistona's to self-clean!

I know, I know, I know  -  I have way too many palms! ! ! ! !

I've seen habitat photos of the Phoenix Canariensis.  Why did someone start the pineapple look anyway?

Sorry for rambling on.  Will enjoy hearing other peoples perspective on this subject.

rod anderson

phoenix, arizona

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

• Upvote 5

I prefer a well-manicured look, and clean trunks, but I can see how that might become overwhelming as the number of mature palms increases. 

• Upvote 1

It is a matter of taste, I guess ?

Many people over-trim their palms because to them, they look dirty/ugly/unhealthy when non-trimmed ;
Personally, I am not completely against trimming, but over-trimming is a big no-no to me ;

One exception : I think it's ok to over-trim P. canariensis in younger stages because of the risk of injury when the palm is next to/on the path and its crown is at/close to body-level (same thing with other dangerous species);
When it comes to Washingtonias, I think non-dead leaves should be left alone unless you are trying to have it grow trunk as fast as possible ;

My approach to palm-trimming is trimming dead leaves or leaves that might cause the trunk to deform (it happened to one Syagrus romanzoffiana in my garden, I had the leaves pushing against the wall trimmed) ;
Some palms look nice with a skirt or beard of dead leaves, like Washingtonias, or Parajubaea cocoides for example :
010-05.jpg

When it comes to Bismarckias, I would trim the dead leaves until they are tall enough (taller than the houses nearby that protect them for the wind) to be auto-cleaned quickly (same thing with Washingtonias);

PS : How many Bismarckias do you have? The one you show top-to-bottom looks really cool :)

Edited by Nakheel1412

I certainly agree about over-pruning - I understand municipalities doing this to reduce labor costs, but at the cost of appearance!  Personally I do not prune any leaves that still show some green and I like palms that show a round "ball" of leaves - particularly in sabals, CIDP's and washingtonias - often times leaving some dead leaves at the bottom to achieve this look.  With washingtonias I try to cut the petioles as close to the trunk as possible to get rid of thorns and give the trunk a smoother look.  Below is a photo of one of my favorite washingtonia looks:

5851b7de1b868_washingtoniarobusta.thumb.

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Diego in Kona said:

Should I trim the lower palm leaves because they look a little green yellow or keep them on?

20171106_075836_HDR_resized.jpg

Whether to trim or not is usually a personal aesthetic decision. In a garden with plenty of light and room, there is not much harm that can be done by leaving fronds on past their prime. It bothers some people, so they trim them up - sometimes too much. Everyone has a different theory, reason, and/or preference. Once they get really tall, you don't have much of a choice unless you have tall ladders or tree trimmers. Most will eventually drop them on their own. But some will need to have the dead ones trimmed to look their best.

I generally leave old fronds on as long as I can stand it. Partly out of laziness, but also because IMO it makes for a healthier palm. However, when I am hosting a tour, or doing a big clean up, I may trim a little more than I normally would.

If that were my palm, I would leave it alone. That is a very nice looking palm IMO. Keep in mind that trimming anything other than dead brown fronds can make it a little easier for pests and fungus to enter the fresh wound.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Welcome Diego!  Nice to see you here. I also think the palm looks OK the way it is now

Edited by Alberto
  • Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

On 11/7/2017, 2:39:17, Rod said:

"I have several bismarckia's that I have decided to "let go".  I'm having to duck under the fronds to get through my yard, but you have to start sometime!"

I would start when I didn't have to duck. :P

On soil as fertile it will matter less but as long as the leaf is still dying, it is still taking nutrients back into the leaf that it has already taken out of the ground.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

When they get too tall I let FL's formidable winds do the job. What with all the wilts and diseases passing around I don't dare hire chop-happy tree trimmers.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.