IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plumeria droop?

Hammer

I have a plumeria that I really love.  Gorgeous flowers.  

This particular plant is relatively mature.  Is in the warmest and sunniest area of the yard.

This year, several branches have broken and several others have begun to droop.  Branches that were more or less vertical are now horizontal. Pics included. 

This was a favorite of mine.   Now starting to look like crap.

Anybody know what might be happening? 

20171105_155936.jpg

20171105_155948.jpg

• Upvote 1

weird.

whats your water cycle like?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hammer,

Interesting, wonder if something like a cat or other critter climbing through them might have caused this?? Aside from your concern, imo, your plant looks well, not seeing anything concerning ( wrinkled/ shriveled looking stems) from the pictures you posted. Mine can do this when they're thirsty. I also have acouple I'd kept in a bit too much shade this year that got a bit stretched and might need to be corrected come spring. 

Some cultivars will naturally weep a bit as they grow as well. You can cut out any branches you don't want at any time though if you do this now, apply Sulphur powder to the cuts to discourage any potential rot issues as the plants go into the winter dormant season. I do this anytime I prune and/ or prune for cuttings.. or, if I'm removing anything that got damaged after a freeze.  Has worked better than anything else I have tried.

To rule out any possible other issue, nick the stems on the weeping branches. If the cuts bleed, you should be good.. also, if the stems are firm when gripped, you should be good.   just cut them off ...then start the cuttings for friends.:greenthumb:

Curious what cultivar it is,

Nathan

I know too much water during the active growing season and the 'Aztec Gold' variety of Plumeria will have branches that weep (droop). Your (own) variety may be susceptible to this tendency as well. One nurseryman suggests: "I have kept an Aztec Gold upright by rarely watering, limiting roots to a pot and not fertilizing as much as I do the other plumeria." This might be something to consider in your case. ;)

4 hours ago, Hillizard said:

I know too much water during the active growing season and the 'Aztec Gold' variety of Plumeria will have branches that weep (droop). Your (own) variety may be susceptible to this tendency as well. One nurseryman suggests: "I have kept an Aztec Gold upright by rarely watering, limiting roots to a pot and not fertilizing as much as I do the other plumeria." This might be something to consider in your case. ;)

I wonder if you are on to something here.  I added some additional drip lines near this plumeria this year.  They were for other plants near it.  In addition, in July, I added fertigation to the system.  This means this plant is getting ample water and fertilizer (Grow More's palm mix) each time the zone goes on.

Water is on a smart controller. In this weather it will run every 5.25 days.  In the heat of summer it runs about every 2 days.

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Hammer,

Interesting, wonder if something like a cat or other critter climbing through them might have caused this?? Aside from your concern, imo, your plant looks well, not seeing anything concerning ( wrinkled/ shriveled looking stems) from the pictures you posted. Mine can do this when they're thirsty. I also have acouple I'd kept in a bit too much shade this year that got a bit stretched and might need to be corrected come spring. 

Some cultivars will naturally weep a bit as they grow as well. You can cut out any branches you don't want at any time though if you do this now, apply Sulphur powder to the cuts to discourage any potential rot issues as the plants go into the winter dormant season. I do this anytime I prune and/ or prune for cuttings.. or, if I'm removing anything that got damaged after a freeze.  Has worked better than anything else I have tried.

To rule out any possible other issue, nick the stems on the weeping branches. If the cuts bleed, you should be good.. also, if the stems are firm when gripped, you should be good.   just cut them off ...then start the cuttings for friends.:greenthumb:

Curious what cultivar it is,

Nathan

Other than the weeping/drooping and the sudden and spontaneous  branch breaking it is super healthy.   Blooms like crazy, leaves are green and healthy. 

Last year it got hammered by spider mites, but all good this year.

Wish I knew the cultivar.  It was here when we bought the place. It is a good looking bloom.   Will see if I can find or snap a photo of a flower.

57 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I wonder if you are on to something here.  I added some additional drip lines near this plumeria this year.  They were for other plants near it.  In addition, in July, I added fertigation to the system.  This means this plant is getting ample water and fertilizer (Grow More's palm mix) each time the zone goes on.

Water is on a smart controller. In this weather it will run every 5.25 days.  In the heat of summer it runs about every 2 days.

Not sure how I'd missed the part about random broken branches.. I'll have to ask around on that.

The extra water/ fert. may definately be a factor in what you're experiencing...  

While there are many different ideas on general culture, for all the years I've cultivated them, and discussed cultural aspects with some of the greatest plumeria gurus,  I treat all my own like cacti.. or other things like Bursera that come from Sonora and the dry subtropics ..no water/ maybe one light watering from late Nov- Feb,  Water roughly once a week during the summer. In the ground, you might even go 2 weeks between soaking them..  and fertilize (organically myself) 3x times a year ( N:10-P:5-K:10/15.. extra shot of Mag/ K in the fall) ratio.. no matter what,  DON'T feed with high Phosphorus/ bloom booster junk.. worst thing for these and Hibiscus, etc.. 

Around this time of year is when they should start shedding their leaves, esp. 90+% of all P. rubra cultivars, and go dormant/ take a nap for the winter dry season. Sometimes, mine will try to keep growing until December which is why I'll strip the leaves when I start seeing a general yellowing trend of the foliage.  In pots or in the ground, that's an obvious cue to shut off all water as well. 

Just gave mine their winter haircuts yesterday. 

Too much water along with the heat wave from two weeks ago. I've always treated Plumeria like large cactus, with better results than pampering 'em.

• Upvote 2

It's physics .

Lot of water going to the growing ends of the branches , and the larger leaves out there all add weight out where leverage

is greatest . Gravity wins .

• Upvote 1

I think you all probably  nailed it.  Thanks for the replies.  Very very helpful.   

Now my challege is how to correct the problem without under watering other nearby plants.  Hmmmm.

I have the same problem with two of my Plumerias. They have the same water and feed than my palms and of course, they are growing too fast and the branches was drooping.

The first one is near the wall and i fixed it to the wall. The second one lost its branches in a windy day and now is a stem with a few new branches.

I know, next year i will water a litle bit less.

IMG-20171106-WA0005.thumb.jpg.0cef5b655bIMG-20171106-WA0006.thumb.jpg.f226ae70fdIMG-20171106-WA0007.thumb.jpg.46a577ffe0

7 hours ago, Hammer said:

:blink:

Meant to show that pruning is a solution to the legginess that many show. Seems many folkz are wary of cutting them, gotta be tough with 'em.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Meant to show that pruning is a solution to the legginess that many show. Seems many folkz are wary of cutting them, gotta be tough with 'em.

Totally got it.  I was responding on behalf of the plumeria! :floor:

That is my plan for winter.  Had planned that last winter and then the tree broke several branches.  So I wasn't sure about clearing out the remaining canopy it provided. 

• Upvote 1

Hammer:

Nice plumie!

I concur with Der Gonz, and have found they tend to do better in a more austere environment than the nearby palms often like. Which is why I planted mine in the desert section, one near the Brahea decumbens, another near Ravenea xerophylla.

My personal observation is that as the branches get longer they'll droop a bit (sometimes a lot) because of the extra weight.

Not sure what your cultivar is; did you get it from Larry Black's neighbor?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

30 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Hammer:

Nice plumie!

I concur with Der Gonz, and have found they tend to do better in a more austere environment than the nearby palms often like. Which is why I planted mine in the desert section, one near the Brahea decumbens, another near Ravenea xerophylla.

My personal observation is that as the branches get longer they'll droop a bit (sometimes a lot) because of the extra weight.

Not sure what your cultivar is; did you get it from Larry Black's neighbor?

Not a Larry Black's neighbor's plant.  It was here when we bought the place in 2012.

Gonzer, How old are those shears (secatuers) ??  That looks way older than my Felco #8 !  :greenthumb:

San Francisco, California

6 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Gonzer, How old are those shears (secatuers) ??  That looks way older than my Felco #8 !  :greenthumb:

Hell, I don't know Darold, just grabbed the image off the web. Another Felco 8 user eh? Best pruners around. Keep 3 pair at the ready.

Davey m'lad, what's with the high falutin' word 'austere'? Is that like a cow from Down Under?

• Upvote 1

On Mon Nov 06 2017 19:37:26 GMT-0700, Hammer said:

Here is a flower from said plumeria.  Any thoughts on the cultivar?

20160922_070227.jpg

While not 100% on the exact Cltvr. , 'Plastic Pink', a long standing, ..some would say  "original"  Hawaiian cultivar, is a likely pod parent of yours.

Some close possible matches include 'Charlotte Ebert', 'Cauncun Pink', and 'Maui Beauty.'  Charlotte Ebert has been referenced as a different name for Plastic Pink by some growers.. 

For Plumeria junkies, Dr. Kukiat Tanteeratarm in Thailand is creating some mind blowing cultivars as of late.. His Plumeria Gardens page is worth a visit..

Anxiously awaiting the official release of  'Tropical Aurora'.. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

While not 100% on the exact Cltvr. , 'Plastic Pink', a long standing, ..some would say  "original"  Hawaiian cultivar, is a likely pod parent of yours.

Some close possible matches include 'Charlotte Ebert', 'Cauncun Pink', and 'Maui Beauty.'  Charlotte Ebert has been referenced as a different name for Plastic Pink by some growers.. 

For Plumeria junkies, Dr. Kukiat Tanteeratarm in Thailand is creating some mind blowing cultivars as of late.. His Plumeria Gardens page is worth a visit..

Anxiously awaiting the official release of  'Tropical Aurora'.. 

I checked out some of his photos.   They are ridiculous! :yay: Thanks for mentioning it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2017, 4:10:02, Hammer said:

I have a plumeria that I really love.  Gorgeous flowers.  

This particular plant is relatively mature.  Is in the warmest and sunniest area of the yard.

This year, several branches have broken and several others have begun to droop.  Branches that were more or less vertical are now horizontal. Pics included. 

This was a favorite of mine.   Now starting to look like crap.

Anybody know what might be happening? 

20171105_155936.jpg

20171105_155948.jpg

My tallest, largest Plumeria had drooping branches two years ago.  I think it had to do with the severe drought.  It obviously wasn't getting enough water, because when the rains came last winter the branches hardened up and straightened up.  This is what it looks like now at 14 ft tall and 25 ft wide.

IMG_2980.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

• Upvote 2