IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

800 Pound Gorilla dies any way he wants to

DoomsDave

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Generally speaking, it seems fusarium wilt is on the rise in SoCal.  Or maybe just reports of it are.  I have had a handful of small palms get hit over the years.  Not very anxious to lose a big one.  But it will happen someday.  Interested on a couple items in your post above as a means of delaying this inevitability.  

#3 Why Safari?  Not familiar with it.   Why not use CoreTect? ...a systematic insecticide.

#4 What is the systematic drench you use and what does it do?

Safari is nuclear stuff and is my go to most of the time. I go right for the kill when I have any pests on my stuff at the vista garden and nursery. I have a lot of palms I cannot replace there so I'm very aggressive to make sure they are problem free. It can be used as a folier spray and or a systemic drench. Its very expensive around $350.00+  per pound but worth every penny!

The drenching depends on what I'm trying to treat. I use a bunch of different things depending on the circumstance.

I use Merit 2F Insecticide, safari 20 SG, Avid 0.15,  products with phenomenal results ETC...I personally would not use these at my personal residence since I have kids.

since I have a nursery I don't use a lot of box chain products. I need to knock out a problem in a one and done fashion :)

PM me and I can go deeper if you like :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

55 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Dave, when did you first notice the decline and did you try to treat it immediately?

About a month ago, and didn't treat; didn't know what to do.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

As Josh sez, Safari has no rivals, although if you can get your hands on a jug of Merit 2.5G praise be. It was discontinued but I kept a secret stash. Dave, sorry to hear of your loss. Will there be a service or memorial?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

As Josh sez, Safari has no rivals, although if you can get your hands on a jug of Merit 2.5G praise be. It was discontinued but I kept a secret stash. Dave, sorry to hear of your loss. Will there be a service or memorial?

Merit is da bomb:greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

40 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

About a month ago, and didn't treat; didn't know what to do.

bummer! next time you notice some funny business post it so we can give you some suggestions

Sunset zone 24

That daytime picture certainly shows the level of progression with the rot.

Worth a try via the Josh protocol.

4 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

That daytime picture certainly shows the level of progression with the rot.

Worth a try via the Josh protocol.

I'm going to remove this one, but keep an eye on the baby gorilla out back, and rehome some to people in cooler dryer places.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I'm going to remove this one, but keep an eye on the baby gorilla out back, and rehome some to people in cooler dryer places.

DD, I understand your reluctance to use chemicals.  However, if one in you garden has it and you let it go and then chop it down you are likely to spread more spores.  That is my theory anyway.

May want to treat it as a precaution against spread to other palms.

• Upvote 2

Sorry to see this Dave. Did you have a hot summer with a lot of warm nights at all?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

19 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Sorry to see this Dave. Did you have a hot summer with a lot of warm nights at all?

We had a period with warm nights, though I'm not sure what a lot would be. Maybe a week or two?

I would imagine that 4 or 5 weeks with mins above 68-75F could be a problem for a high altitude genus like this. I could be wrong though.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I would imagine that 4 or 5 weeks with mins above 68-75F could be a problem for a high altitude genus like this. I could be wrong though.

Those are my mins from June to September, 16 weeks,  and my torally is alive.

May be the problems are hot nights, clay soil and water. 

But it is monster and it was growing fast. Why this year and not the last years?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Monòver said:

But it is monster and it was growing fast. Why this year and not the last years?

Might be too humid.

Might not like the seasonal day length change. They are from the equatorial Andes, with year-round day length roughly the same.

As noted before, there's a New 800 Pound Gorilla's Apprentice coming along fast. Maybe I'll steel myself for some Subdue and spray it.

My experience has been they aren't bothered by bugs at all, except for a grasshopper here and there, chewing on the leaves.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/6/2017, 7:08:47, Tyrone said:

On 11/6/2017, 12:00:09, Monòver said:

This one has been in the ground 5 plus years from a 15 gallon and is amazingly still alive.My June thru mid October night time lows are mid 80's to mid 90's F with daytime highs over 100 to 119F!. Growth really slows down with these temps but palm grows well over the winter when most other palms "sleep".

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1520385738462.jpg

• Upvote 5

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I'm getting anxiety just imagining having to cut that huge thing down in such close proximity to other palms and the house haha. 

Glad it worked out so well for you, but sorry you lost the palm.

Edited by chad2468emr
  • Like 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

11 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

I'm getting anxiety just imagining having to cut that huge thing down in such close proximity to other palms and the house haha. 

Glad it worked out so well for you, but sorry you lost the palm.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/56076-removal-of-dead-800-pound-gorilla/#comment-840495

• 5 years later...

On 3/16/2018 at 6:40 PM, DoomsDave said:

Burn me alive if the thread jacking is unacceptable, but has it been determined if the PxB or PxJ hybrids are less susceptible to disease? 

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

4 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Burn me alive if the thread jacking is unacceptable, but has it been determined if the PxB or PxJ hybrids are less susceptible to disease? 

Good question!

19 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

You got anymore parajubaeas planted Dave?

Sunkha and cocoides; cocoides gonna get chainsaw therapy on its deathbed.