IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

800 Pound Gorilla dies any way he wants to

DoomsDave

OUCH

Parajube tor tor is toast.

Alas, so bummed.

So much to learn, yet.

9E94CF25-2098-4A78-972C-7AB64ADFB138.thu

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 minutes ago, dwimss said:

What happened Dave did you transplant it ?

No got fungus and died

only Superman could have transplanted

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Better (worse) pictures in the light of day coming

OUCH

1 minute ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

aw man! that stinks!

yes it does

But never fear

There's plenty of replacements

sort of

• Upvote 1

Well, that is an unexpected loss of a giant... How can you get a severe enough fungus to kill a huge palm in SoCal with <10" rain per year??

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Well, that is an unexpected loss of a giant... How can you get a severe enough fungus to kill a huge palm in SoCal with <10" rain per year??

Just now, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I stand corrected.  La Habra receives 15" of rain per google.

Life is filled with surprises.

Some are so unpleasant.

But at least the chainsaw won't get dull.

URK

• Upvote 2

Bummer. Sorry to hear this, Dave. 15" is not Noah's Flood. Dave, this "fungus" isn't another wilt, is it?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Bummer. Sorry to hear this, Dave. 15" is not Noah's Flood. Dave, this "fungus" isn't another wilt, is it?

Another wilt

yes 

I am sorry Dave.

I think Parajubaeas hates hot weather and water. Here lot of people lost the Parajubaeas after Summer.

Do you know if Rinchonporus palmarum is in La Habra? May be not fungus.

In Spain, the Ferrugineus kills Parajubaeas. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Hammer said:

Bummer! That thing was an epic beast.

Maybe find a firetruck filled with hydrogen peroxide and see it that helps.

Great idea!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Monòver said:

I am sorry Dave.

I think Parajubaeas hates hot weather and water. Here lot of people lost the Parajubaeas after Summer.

Do you know if Rinchonporus palmarum is in La Habra? May be not fungus.

In Spain, the Ferrugineus kills Parajubaeas. 

Really also sorry dude. I had a similar experience this fall with Sabal uresana. Not really the loss of a palm but rather of this particular palm has shocked me quite deeply, because I was thinking that it was bullet proof. Antonio has covered me fully. High summer is indeed a stressing time here for my Parajubaea's except the sunkha. I am verious anxious to see pictures in the daylight. As a greek proverb says "Day loughs at the 'accomplishments' of Night"...

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 1

Sorry to hear about that one Dave; I know it was one of your favorites. I know that Parajubea cocoides is a magnet for fungal infections around here, but I hadn't heard of any issues with torallyi. Funny though, in most cases there always the bigger ones that developed it. And yours was really big. Hard to monitor the growth point when it's way over your head..

• Upvote 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I just lost a jubaea with about 7 feet of trunk in my backyard! Same thing fungus! Looks like fusarium ! Now need to deal with dead trunk!

• Upvote 1

That's no good Ron. They lost a big Jubea last year at mission bay & it looks like another one is on its way out. :(

Bret

Ouch, maybe an epidemic is sweeping across the countryside . . . .

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Hammer said:

Bummer! That thing was an epic beast.

Maybe find a firetruck filled with hydrogen peroxide and see it that helps.

:floor:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

It seems this species can be very fickle?!?!?!?!

I totally agree with Bret that Parajubea cocoides is a fungus magnet. I was at 2 separate garden not to long ago and they both lost 2 massive  parajubeas.

Not sure why this species seems to just up and die out of the blue with fungus?

I have 5 P. Sunkha and 1 cocoides in the ground at the nursery and a P. Tor Tor going in the ground this coming spring. cocoides has had fungus attacks  3 times and I have been able to save thank goodness. I really have to keep an eye on it.

Here is what I do to help the fungus attack

1) keep a look out for small stunted leaves coming out of the crown

2) topical spray the crown with a mixture of subdue and clearys(lawn fungicide that has  T-methal in it)

3) keep mealy bugs and scale off the plant. Parajubea is absolutely notoriously a bug magnet for some freaking reason. I use safari most of the time.

4) every 6-8 months I will do a systemic drench for preventive maintenance.

5) clean my cutting tools with water and bleach before trimming the tree. This helps the spread of bad pathogens/bacteria

6) understand where the tree comes from and their native cultural requirements

7) Pray it makes it :) 

parajubea do not like to stay wet in the crown. This is why coastal gardens often will  have a tough time with this species. They like to say dry up top. Check out the Culture that is on palmpedia. It may be helpful to understand where this tree growing in habitat.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Parajubaea_torallyi

cheers,

Josh-O

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

24 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

I totally agree with Bret that Parajubea cocoides is a fungus magnet. I was at 2 separate garden not to long ago and they both lost 2 massive  parajubeas.

I have 5 P. Sunkha and 1 cocoides in the ground at the nursery and a P. Tor Tor going in the ground this coming spring. cocoides has had fungus attacks  3 times and I have been able to save thank goodness. I really have to keep an eye on it.

2) topical spray the crown with a mixture of subdue and clearys(lawn fungicide that has  T-methal in it)

3) keep mealy bugs and scale off the plant. Parajubea is absolutely notoriously a bug magnet for some freaking reason. I use safari most of the time.

5) clean my cutting tools with water and bleach before trimming the tree. This helps the spread of bad pathogens/bacteria

parajubea do not like to stay wet in the crown. This is why coastal gardens often will  have a tough time with this species. They like to say dry up top. Check out the Culture that is on palmpedia. It may be helpful to understand where this tree growing in habitat.

cheers,

Josh-O

I’ve got an heir for 800 Pound Gorilla out back 

Your advice is sound within limits

Thanks!

Pictures in the light of day.

All rotted at the base

64D3ADBB-E47D-4794-8B8B-78767EE4C261.thu

0C9FA8FB-79BC-457F-A4C1-5766516342EE.thu

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Pictures in the light of day.

All rotted at the base

64D3ADBB-E47D-4794-8B8B-78767EE4C261.thu

0C9FA8FB-79BC-457F-A4C1-5766516342EE.thu

ouch!!

I agree its probably a goner :(

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

total bummer.  I had a 15G sunkha that died all of a sudden on me.  The other two look great, but for how long?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Laaz said:

That sucks. How old is it?

About 11 years from seed

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Josh-O said:

cheers,

Josh-O

Generally speaking, it seems fusarium wilt is on the rise in SoCal.  Or maybe just reports of it are.  I have had a handful of small palms get hit over the years.  Not very anxious to lose a big one.  But it will happen someday.  Interested on a couple items in your post above as a means of delaying this inevitability.  

#3 Why Safari?  Not familiar with it.   Why not use CoreTect? ...a systematic insecticide.

#4 What is the systematic drench you use and what does it do?

That's the same type of damage as on my neighbors. He treated it with both topical & systemics which amazingly beat it back. Perhaps your picture doesn't do it justice, but it doesn't look all dead to me. Quoting Amazing Max, "there's a big difference between mostly dead & all dead".

• Upvote 1

Bret

20 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

About 11 years from seed

Wow... grown from seed.  That really sticks it in and breaks it off... Sorry for your loss, Dave.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

22 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

That's the same type of damage as on my neighbors. He treated it with both topical & systemics which amazingly beat it back. Perhaps your picture doesn't do it justice, but it doesn't look all dead to me. Quoting Amazing Max, "there's a big difference between mostly dead & all dead".

Well, hate to say this, but it's a bit like adopting a dog or cat you know you're going to have to keep on life-support. Or semi-life-support.

I'll leave the battles with chemicals to other more intrepid souls.

If a formula can be found to raise these that doesn't require tons of chemicals, I'm game to try it.

• Upvote 1

:(

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Dave I'm sorry to see this! Such a bummer! At least the positive is you now have a large open space to plant some other magnificent beast.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Well, hate to say this, but it's a bit like adopting a dog or cat you know you're going to have to keep on life-support. Or semi-life-support.

I'll leave the battles with chemicals to other more intrepid souls.

If a formula can be found to raise these that doesn't require tons of chemicals, I'm game to try it.

Can't argue against principles but I can argue for expediency. Maybe trying to save it would equip you with knowledge and experience to save next time a more valuable palm...

• Upvote 1

Dave, when did you first notice the decline and did you try to treat it immediately?

Sunset zone 24