IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sad day - Allan Bredeson

Alberto

Very sad day,A few minutes ago we heard about the passing away from our dear friend Allan.  Family, friends, palms, travelling where his passions. We all will miss him for sure

DSCN9760.thumb.JPG.9c70231c08e49dc6dc73bf90b1f7e227.JPG

DSCN9816.thumb.JPG.60b8c6ea1012ae4a1b8f14a0ef74c657.JPG

DSCN9805.thumb.JPG.0a80243690ffd8f71ebaad6e08719353.JPG

DSCN9831.thumb.JPG.29b50513438edd7c94b4d56d4e5bd229.JPG

• Upvote 7

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

He was always a happy, funny, calm and gentle person with a warm heart. Interested in life. We will miss you, Allan

DSCN9834.thumb.JPG.c2ea0fea7284bf95eb685b0360614804.JPG

DSCN9826.thumb.JPG.22d6b9ce89a93d083e0aa8b3db3c3b1f.JPG

DSCN9828.thumb.JPG.6c6558ff33744ce3cdd7ebe0bd50033d.JPG

DSCN9833.thumb.JPG.4203d3b0e482d45628dc21993cfd2381.JPG

DSCN9790.thumb.JPG.2516f3dfc159e3df644c7cfe30eb4f12.JPG

DSCN9786.thumb.JPG.82cc60e54d301e526eede2a1e8e6aa98.JPG

DSCN9617.thumb.JPG.4ad0bbdd6980a29895a67ba6759dd549.JPG

DSCN9586.thumb.JPG.40b37a4ea7bbed8edfdc37866c06a4c4.JPG

• Upvote 7

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Very sad indeed Alberto.

Allan Bredeson (Al in Kona) was a great friend.

We had the privilege to enjoy his company here in Palmtalk for many years. since 2002 I believe. He was one of the best contributors in this Forum here for many years. His always gentle approach and his fine taste for palms has been very inspirational for us, like for many others. We were lucky to have met him in person here in Brazil, in Hawaii and during many Biennials. He will be greatly missed by all his friends and family. Our hearts go out to Silvia and all the Bredesons. 

DSCN0926.JPG

• Upvote 5

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

DSCN0960.JPG

• Upvote 4

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Oh my gosh!!! This is terribly sad news!!

Thanks for posting all these wonder pictures of Al.

Allan (Al in Kona) will be missed greatly. He was an amazing contributor here on palm talk with out question.

My prayers go out to Al's family.

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

So sad to hear!

I never met him, but felt I've known him forever, another kindred spirit.

R I P

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What sad news... Al was a true gentleman and this is all a bit of a shock. I only met him a couple of times but had the pleasure of having a great conversation with him at one of the Biennials. He will be sadly missed...

Daryl

• Upvote 2

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wow. Shocked. Such sad news 

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Oh no! That is a shock. Al in Kona, as he was known here, had a kind word for everyone, and had so much palm knowledge and a willingness to share. Very sad news.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Very unwelcome news. I have traded palms with Al, have Attaleas growing in the ground from seeds that he provided. He was a friendly face at HIPS meetings and biennials. His knowledge was vast and accurate, and his collection was one of the most unique on Hawaii Island. He had many of the "holy grail" items that people were looking for. And such  a nice guy. Very sorry to hear this.

• Upvote 3

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Yes, Very sad news, 

As Kim writes; like many other Palmtalkers  I knew Al only through Al in Kona and always liked his posts here on Palmtalk.

My condolence to his friends and his family.

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Like me, Al started his love affair with palms in So Cal and then moved to Kona. So, I have known him for a long time. And during those decades, I never saw Al angry or heard him say an unkind word about anybody. I have found that many of the "old guard" in the IPS have shared these traits - as gentle, kind, and helpful individuals. It is a great loss each time one of them passes, as that generation was different, and I fear impossible to replace.

As can be seen from the photos, Al had seen a lot and met many people, and I know he was thankful for that. We will all miss him.

• Upvote 6

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

What a shock, so sorry to hear the news. Al was a devoted palm enthusiast and such a loyal Hawaii Island and International Palm Society member. 

Regards to Sylvia, devoted wife and companion. Truly a sad time for the palm world.

Tim

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

So sorry to hear about Al.  I was fortunate enough to visit him and Sylvia at their beautiful garden a few years back.  You could not meet a more outgoing, nice guy.  He made a big impact in the palm world.  RIP Al.   

• Upvote 2

I am shocked and saddened! :( Al was a very special person and he will truly be missed. He and his family moved from San Diego to the Big Island about a year before I took the leap in the early 1990s so we had a lot in common and we spent quite a bit of time together over the years, and even designed an early HIPS t-shirt as a sort of a "joint venture" back then. My thoughts go out to Silvia and the rest of the family. So sorry to hear this.

• Upvote 3

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

You'll be missed Al!

Hawaii II - 145.jpg

Hawaii II - 153.jpg

Hawaii II - 222.jpg

• Upvote 7

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I never met Al but learned so much from his posts. I will miss his presence here and send the best to his family on Kona.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Sad to hear this.  I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but have always enjoyed and learned from his posts here.  RIP

• Upvote 4

Yes , thought I go through the valley of deep shade , I will have no fear of evil , for you are with me , your rod and your support are my confort . Psalms 23-4 .                                                 Your dreams and ideals continue to germinate around the world . ( Pseudophoenix lediniana - seeds sent by Allan ) . A great friend .                                                                                             Mauricio Caixeta and family .59fb85f86fa3a_AllanBredson001.thumb.JPG.

• Upvote 9

Caixeta

Rest in peace my friend! I met All in Thailand’s biennial and we had some interesting conversations. He was so kind and had so much palm knowledge. His wife is lovely. Sending my thoughts to him and his family. 

• Upvote 2

So sad to hear. I met him briefly at the Miami Biennial and you could sense his calm, kind way. He was a true gentleman and passionate about palms. Godspeed Al.

• Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

Such sad news indeed... 

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

For me it is the first time since I joined this forum that someone of this new community (for me) has passed away.

I am feeling sad even just knowing Al just through his kind and competent posts - my honest condolences, Rest in peace!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, palmfriend said:

I am feeling sad even just knowing Al just through his kind and competent posts - my honest condolences, Rest in peace!

Same. 

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

As soon as I have news regarding his celebration of life I will post it here. Thank you all for sharing.

Attach15121_20171102_124136.jpg

• Upvote 7

Diego - it was nice talking with you on the phone yesterday - welcome to the forum. As you have read, many around the "palm world" will miss your Dad.

• Upvote 4

Kona, on The Big Island

Very sad to hear this (learned of it from Facebook).  I remember seeing at So Cal meetings many years ago, but never knew him... however I felt I knew his garden near Kona since he posted so many wonderful photos all the time... sounds like he had a great retirement and productive years in Hawaii.  And obviously lots of friends and a loving family.  What more could one want?  

• Upvote 2

Mr. Allan Gilmore Bredeson, 83 of Papa Bay, Hawaii, died October 31, 2017 at his residence. Born in Nekoma, North Dakota on July 14, 1934, he is a retired public school educator in San Diego and was a substitute teacher in West Hawaii Kona area. He was a member of Kona Faith Center, the International Palm Society and a U.S. Navy veteran. A celebration of life will be held at 2 p.m. December 2, 2017 at Kona Faith Center in Captain Cook. The family requests Casual or Aloha attire.

Allan is survived by his wife Silvia Bredeson of Papa Bay, Hawaii and their two children, his son Diego (Tisha) Bredeson, his daughter Ramona (Larry) Hale; his 7 grandchildren and 1 great grandson; His brother Galen (Barbara) Bredeson of Montana; sisters Betty Dewey of California and Joyce (Rick) Passmore of California; and numerous nieces and nephews; and the rest of his relatives

• Upvote 5

I'll see you there Diego. How little I really knew of Al's past. I never knew he was born in No. Dakota, or that he was in the Navy. I knew he was older than he looked - but not 83. Looking forward to hearing more "surprises" about Al.

• Upvote 2

Kona, on The Big Island

A couple of words he told me in Thailand and i realized the great person he was. So calm and friendly. An example to one or another (...)

All looked much younger than 83 years old. He will be missed by everybody here. Hope he experienced no pain. As a friend i will keep him in my heart and will plant a palm in his honour, the next spring. Diego, i hope you follow his course in palms, here and in the yard :) One day i would like to visit the great palm collection. All had invited me to.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Rafael said:

A couple of words he told me in Thailand and i realized the great person he was. So calm and friendly. An example to one or another (...)

All looked much younger than 83 years old. He will be missed by everybody here. Hope he experienced no pain. As a friend i will keep him in my heart and will plant a palm in his honour, the next spring. Diego, i hope you follow his course in palms, here and in the yard :) One day i would like to visit the great palm collection. All had invited me to.

Rafael:

Thank you for your kind words. My dad was an example to me of good character. It will take me a lifetime or longer to achieve. Looking forward to meeting you someday. When you come to Hawaii let me know.

• Upvote 1