IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What temp should I really worry at?

mdsonofthesouth

I know the Livistona chinensis isnt going to do well where I am, but the clump was cheap as dirt and I planted it anyways. Worst case its a perennial until I can get my seedling sabal minor to a plantation size. But what temperature should I start worrying about this clump? I might just do a permanent greenhouse for it so it will have a head start in 2018 and will trunk better than it has this year. 

I have 7 trachycarpus fortunei that are well rooted and while all have put out several fronds since march (feel like even the slower ones have put out 10+ ythis year but Ive been bad at recording progress) Im worried about their first winter. While some have started putting out large fronds starting in early summer, and all have a good rooting I want to protect my investment and will be doing mulching + rope lights on the mulch + canopy to prevent wet feet. What temps should I worry about these first year palms? I know they will be fine in a few years but Id like to know what yall think from your experiences. The tag said hardy to 10F per Home Depot and I know the stats online, but these are a fresh plantation as of march 2017 and any insight from those who have done marginal plantation would be much appreciated.

As an FYI for my chamerops humilis I used 15F as the marker for the temp greenhouse and that worked very well as that palm even grew during the winter! Thanks yall!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Hi

I would actively protect (rope lights but not LED because the do not generate any heat ;)) the Livistonia below -5°C / 23°F. And I would keep it sheltered but well ventilated during winter. 

The Trachycarpus don’t need any protection down to -10°C /  14°F during their first winter and even down to 5°F later on. This species even hates to be overprotected. 

Good luck

Niek

7 hours ago, lapalmeraie said:

Hi

I would actively protect (rope lights but not LED because the do not generate any heat ;)) the Livistonia below -5°C / 23°F. And I would keep it sheltered but well ventilated during winter. 

The Trachycarpus don’t need any protection down to -10°C /  14°F during their first winter and even down to 5°F later on. This species even hates to be overprotected. 

Good luck

Niek

The rope lights I have aren't LED and put off some good warmth. Basically they are for keeping the soil from frosting or even freezing. Our soil rarely freezes and when it does its not for long and very shallow. With the mulching and rope lights the soil around my otherwise fully exposed chamerops humilis never froze. The only issue with where I live is precipitation mixed with the cold. We will rarely if ever see terminal temps and even then only for a few hours, but we get ALOT of cold rain. The livistona chinensis is most likely going to die back sadly as I keep hearing its really a z9 palm and not a z8, but then again its somewhat protected and planted close to the house. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto