IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Northern most coconut palm tree??? Daytona beach

Jason-Palm king

Would be interesting to find out if its genetics or just that good of a microclimate. Does it get protected at all? and does it fruit?

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

It had fruit and I was wanting to grab some but the landscapers got to it and cut them off before they were ripe. But I think it just a great microclimate. No protection. We get spared by the cold NW winds in the winter with help from the widest point of the intracoastal waterway around. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017, 1:12:04, epiphyte said:

What I'm curious about is whether this coconut palm is exceptional or lucky.  Has anybody tried growing its coconuts?  

In this thread I shared this Google street view of a strand of coconut palms in Baja California.  I'm guessing that the primary limiting factor is the dryness rather than the cold (or lack of heat).

Picture from 2009. There is another one from 2012 in PT. Who knows how this tall-variety coconut is doing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6635744,-115.4765989,3a,75y,284.08h,87.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_JK1D_GFCfr-I8cdMupnqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 12/1/2017, 1:21:05, Reeverse said:

It had fruit and I was wanting to grab some but the landscapers got to it and cut them off before they were ripe. But I think it just a great microclimate. No protection. We get spared by the cold NW winds in the winter with help from the widest point of the intracoastal waterway around. 

Right now I have a nearly ripe seed pod on a particularly nice reed-stem Epidendrum hybrid.  Let's pretend that the seed pod has around 100,000 seeds in it.  I split the seeds with you.  Lucky for us, the seeds don't require flasking or fungus to germinate.  We both end up with 50 seedlings each.  When the seedlings are 1 year old, we exchange half our seedlings with each other.  In your conditions, how will my seedlings do compared to your seedlings?  In my conditions, how will your seedlings do compared to my seedlings?  How noticeable will the difference be?  The more noticeable the difference, the more variation among the seeds, the more adaptable the orchid is.  

The same concept is relevant to coconuts.  But the logistics are easier to imagine with the orchid.  

• 2 years later...
On 11/19/2017 at 12:01 PM, Paranormal said:

İf there is a risk of dying from the cold really; download her roots deep. I am not sure; Quotation technique...

38214382081_405e0ea9b0_o.jpg

that would rot the palm and ut would have a lack of nutrients

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

2 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

Have any references for this ^^^ statement?

I'm curious if anyone's actually tried deep planting. Maybe not 10" which seems extreme and unnecessary to be deep enough to ward off cold feet.

I dug up a couple coconut seedlings that had sprouted in an abandoned area where a nursery had been previously. The plants grew even though the coconuts had been buried about 2' deep in the soil. When I first started digging I'd expected to find the seed just below soil level. I kept digging, and digging, and eventually to my surprise I hit the nuts.

2 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

You are absolutely correct. Palms are very shallow rooted and grow roots from a basal plate at the bottom of the trunk. You have to be very careful not to bury the trunk or the roots will suffocate and die. Years ago someone on PT posted photos of a royal palm after he dumped 2' of soil around the trunk because he wanted to raise the level of his yard. People here warned him he would kill his royal unless got that dirt out of there ASAP. I don't remember if he did.

And remember I told you about people who enjoy stirring up controversies just for their entertainment? This guy was one of them. He wouldn't stop posting nonsense like this about coconuts even after we asked him to let it go. I believe he was banned from the site.

• Like 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

You are absolutely correct. Palms are very shallow rooted and grow roots from a basal plate at the bottom of the trunk. You have to be very careful not to bury the trunk or the roots will suffocate and die. Years ago someone on PT posted photos of a royal palm after he dumped 2' of soil around the trunk because he wanted to raise the level of his yard. People here warned him he would kill his royal unless got that dirt out of there ASAP. I don't remember if he did.

And remember I told you about people who enjoy stirring up controversies just for their entertainment? This guy was one of them. He wouldn't stop posting nonsense like this about coconuts even after we asked him to let it go. I believe he was banned from the site.

I can't believe there are people like that who want to mislead people and kill others plants.

Edited by climate change virginia

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Those palms don't survive the only reason they have them there is because they replenish them every year

after Christmas. they dont bother to protect them

Edited by climate change virginia

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

With "regular" trees most can't tolerate the root zone being filled a lot however there are some which can survive. And those that can may only survive depending on maturity of the plant and environmental conditions.

In the case of the Roystonea buried 2', other factors may have been in play. As an example, it may have been that the palm was happy in a low area where it got a lot of water, then when the grade was changed all of a sudden it didn't receive the same water totals because the water runoff was changed.

• 2 months later...

Farthest from the sea, in the north Coconut too tall, huge and happy. Butwal Nepal Himalayan mountain range : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Butwal,+Nepal/@27.6820453,83.3624953,21839m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3996864275d9755f:0x2b1e92d89d4bb3ae!8m2!3d27.6865838!4d83.4322634

main-qimg-ee8caf54660418960d59d051433c6936.png

Edited by John Max
  • Like 5

On 11/27/2017 at 1:03 PM, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

The growing season may match or closely match further south, but its cold season does not.  That is the real issue.  Va beach is substantially warmer than OCMD, largely due to the ocean / bay/ james river / Gulfstream.   The ship building is all in Norfolk/ Hampton/ Newport News.  20+ miles up river / west.  Norfolk is 20 miles or so west.  Its a small city.  VA Beach isnt large enough to give off a heat island.  Its mostly the seaside town and the surrounding largely suburban area and Naval Base (NAS Oceana).   It just doesn't  get a brutally cold, and when it does its usually sort lived.   50's/ 60's in the dead of winter during the day are common there. Even 70's are not that uncommon.    Where it not for the night cooling that occurs in winter, VA Beach could easily be an 8B.  those pesky overnight winter lows tho wont allow for that even though its climate is fairly warm compared to mos areas  near by and north just a bit.  

But Norfolk, Newport News, and other cities combined, will give a great heat island. 

Nothing to say here. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 2:18 PM, EastCanadaTropicals said:

But Norfolk, Newport News, and other cities combined, will give a great heat island. 

Oh there is a heat island affect for sure, but I would not say its "great".  Reasonably good yes.  Norfolk is not that large and has a medium small sized urban core.     The larger influence on the area, especially Va Beach,  is all of the surrounding large bodies of water, and loads of smaller rivers, creeks / marshes / wetlands. The largest influence is the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf Stream.  From my experience with that area, Sabal Palmettos are possible in and around the Norfolk area, near water, and east into VA Beach.  However the more east / into VA Beach you go the better your success will be in growing S. palmetto and even Butia Odorata.   Windmills are near bulletproof in VA Beach and a good bet for Norfolk as are Needle Palms and Sabal Minor.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Mine is growing just fine in San Diego, so no its not the northernmost.  That one looks terrific though, a pat on the back for who takes care of it.

• 2 years later...

Bringing this thread back to life... today I found a Coconut Palm growing in Flagler Beach, Florida (can confirm it is definitely a coconut). I think this might be the northernmost one in Florida. However; it was hard to tell whether it was transplanted recently (soil around it looks disturbed). I estimate it to be around 3-4 years old. Wondering if anyone thinks it will survive? Or if anyone has any tips on how to help them survive in Flagler, currently trying to grow my own coconut palm there... 

IMG_7402.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Didn't the large Daytona Beach coconut die in 2018 or get killed by landscapers but somehow that update eclipsed this thread about it? 

26 minutes ago, Aceraceae said:

Didn't the large Daytona Beach coconut die in 2018 or get killed by landscapers but somehow that update eclipsed this thread about it? 

It should still be kicking.  It was in our Florida Christmas Freeze 2022 thread with a good bit of damage, but still living.  @Plantking165 got the photos for us.  The Google Maps link is also helpful as you can see the damage from the Jan. 2018 freeze by going back in time.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thanks. It looked great in sumer 2022 before the recent freeze. Just as good as a Bermuda coconut. Bigger places in Florida like Miami and the HEFT of the Turnpike have way more streetview updates, multiple times a year. And it's easy to find your car sometimes on it. 

• Like 1