IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Frost protection

kboo

2 minutes ago, kboo said:

Hey guys do you think this will be useful to protect against frost damage on the trunk?

2 minutes ago, kboo said:

Hey guys do you think this will be useful to protect against frost damage on the trunk? I have cut the bottom of a bucket out and placed it over a wrapped palm so it covers the trunk, cannot upload pics though unfortunatel. Any advice?

No photo shows up, but I wouldn't use plastic-anything as a means of frost protection.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

How cold does it get there? Your maritime climate may be damp and chilly but should shield you from arctic continental blasts. W. robusta can survive to -5 to -7C so should easily survive frost, esp. to the trunk. Frost is more of a problem with leaves. If you are really concerned about the growing point, wrap the crown in burlap or fleece then secure with plastic to keep out freezing rain or snow. Missi is right: never let plastic come in direct contact with palm foliage; it can transmit cold rather than protect from it. How about some photos?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5mil+ plastic drop "cloth" works well as a temp greenhouse, but there needs to be space between frond and the plastic. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

9 hours ago, kboo said:

Hey guys do you think this will be useful to protect against frost damage on the trunk?

9 hours ago, kboo said:

Hey guys do you think this will be useful to protect against frost damage on the trunk? I have cut the bottom of a bucket out and placed it over a wrapped palm so it covers the trunk, cannot upload pics though unfortunatel. Any advice?

Thanks guys, pics wont upload unfortunately. I have already wrapped in fleece and the bucket leaves 2 inch all around the trunk. Really just wanted to protect against potential will chill. Ill try again to upload.

Thanks again for advice

20171030_120448.jpg

Edited by kboo
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Go to home improvement store and get reflective foil insulation 4 feet wide. Can duct tape together. Wrap palm in that with bungees. Use binder clips at the top to seal up. Waterproof and actually insulated. Easily removed and replaced. That’s what I do anyway.... with Christmas lights inside.

On 30/10/2017, 22:17:28, kboo said:

Thanks guys, pics wont upload unfortunately. I have already wrapped in fleece and the bucket leaves 2 inch all around the trunk. Really just wanted to protect against potential will chill. Ill try again to upload.

Thanks again for advice

20171030_120448.jpg

do you already have frost?!?

Heres what I do for arctic blasts and newer palm plantations. 

temp greenhouse.jpg

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Judging by the large Cordyline australis (cabbage tree) growing in your area, it doesn't look like your area gets very cold. You might not need protection?

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

I planted a 4 foot tall mule this summer, at the edge of my yard and out in the open, with the hopes that it will thrive for many many years to come.  It is encased by a few bushes within its general vicinity,  enough to considerably decrease wind damage up to six foot tall.  After 6 foot though it will have outgrown its protection. Two weeks ago I sprayed it with freeze proof;  two days ago the morning temperatures drop down to to 21° and it’s only protection was the spray . I’m tickled purple to say it’s still green as green can be. I might use a coffee sack if it drops down to the mid teens,  but after making it through 21° temps I have a bright outlook on its future. I also planted a Sabal Riverside Close to my house,  and is doing good as well.  I’m so glad I took a chance on both of them.

D0EFB118-D360-4A1B-A9C4-8ACA3E030876.jpeg

• Upvote 1

21 shouldnt hurt a mule unless accompanied with a lot of ice. The sabal riverside wont burn until 10f or lower.  They are very hardy. 

• Upvote 1