Roystonea oleracea- big and cheap

16 posts in this topic

I have about six Roystonea oleraceas in 5 gallon pots; the Shoe is 12.5” long (not included)

$30 each; will discount for quantity. Local pickup; I can't ship these, alas.

Send me a PM if interested.

These plants are already getting potbound, and should go in the ground as soon as possible. I already have a couple in the ground and don't want any more. (Looking for other Royals, like princeps or violacea.)

COMMENTS: R. oleracea are the tallest of the Royals, though they don't get fat and buxom like regias do.

They need lots of three things: (a) heat; (b) water; and (c) vertical height. They'll grow upward about twice as fast as regias do. Their leaves are not as big and heavy, at least not so far, compared to regias. They're about half the weight.

They're tender to the cold, alas. But they're worth a try in a place with nice air drainage in the winter. I've got two in the ground at my place, pictures to follow. I can't recommend them for the Inland Empire, but if you're in a favored spot and want to give one a try, by all means. I love being proved wrong in that regard.

DON'T plant these under the wires. Not even those high-tension towers. Power companies will do a Walter Raleigh or Mary Queen of Scots on them.

DO give them a lot to drink, and a lot of Palms Plus or similar fertilizer in the spring and summer. If you want to wait till spring to plant in the ground, put the pot in a tub and use that to water it. 

AE10E6BA-F09C-493B-9AE0-FB912846B572.thu

5F541672-78F2-4B75-9D67-39104826DC28.thu

Here’s one in front of my house. It was planted in 2011 from a five gallon I got st Mardy Darian’s first big sale in 2010.

It’s approaching forty feet (14 M) tall.

F0930F63-D63F-4593-AEB2-52B4EC8F347A.thuBEF0936B-4EA2-4ABB-8707-4EF37F98C5BD.thu18A9CEBE-174C-4415-9334-1979025565B4.thu

What a deal DD!

9 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

What a deal DD!

Imagine how glorious a few of them would look in your garden!

You have plent of vertical space . . . .

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Here’s one in front of my house. It was planted in 2011 from a five gallon I got st Mardy Darian’s first big sale in 2010.

It’s approaching forty feet (14 M) tall.

F0930F63-D63F-4593-AEB2-52B4EC8F347A.thuBEF0936B-4EA2-4ABB-8707-4EF37F98C5BD.thu18A9CEBE-174C-4415-9334-1979025565B4.thu

Impressive growth!

Love? Anyone?

On 10/29/2017, 8:21:50, DoomsDave said:

Love? Anyone?

I would buy one but I'm choked with a bunch my self. bring some to the next  PSSC auction. could go fast???

I would totally get one but it wouldn't like my winters. So tempting and I'm working in Fullerton today also! 

2 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

I would totally get one but it wouldn't like my winters. So tempting and I'm working in Fullerton today also! 

Yeah, I can dig. Being rational is hard sometimes. Maybe give to a friend near the beach? :)

I would love one if I weren't so far away Dave. 4 hour drive in my near future?

PRICE CUT TO $25 EACH

Dooms Dave, Those are really nice royals you have there. $25 is a big bargain for your seedlings.

I just got a newsletter from rarepalmseeds.com stating that they have Roystonea violacea seeds! I'm going to pick some up and try my luck here in the desert.

Edited by DesertCoconut

On 10/31/2017, 10:52:00, Jdiaz31089 said:

I would love one if I weren't so far away Dave. 4 hour drive in my near future?

You're welcome to have one, but be warned, you're almost certain to lose it to cold.

They're lovely, but tender. Like so much else in this life . . ..

Doink!

Three left!

$35 each, make a deal on the trio.

Best in warm wet places, don't like frosts. Get tall FAST.

Come and git!