IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dwarf White Bird of Paradise blooming at last

paquicuba

My dwarf white bird is blooming at last. This plant is about 5 years old and I thought it was never going to bloom since it's a mutation of the giant white bird of paradise. The one in a pot is a pup I removed from the mother plant about a year ago.

IMG_41561.jpg

IMG_41581.jpg

IMG_41571.jpg

Edited by paquicuba
  • Upvote 7

• 4 months later...

Thanks! Yes, it's a very unique plant. It doesn't grow over 6 feet tall. It has been blooming like crazy. Stop by and I'll give you one of its pups. B)

IMG_01101.jpg

• Upvote 6

I want one!:lol:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Hi Josue! Yes, very neat indeed. The one blooming has been in the ground longer than some giant ones I have that are triple in size. The one in the pot is a pup I removed a year ago from the the blooming one and you can see how stocky it looks.  

11 hours ago, gilles06 said:

I want one!:lol:

Come and get it! I'll give you one. I actually have another mother plant in a pot with a bunch of pups. They're not easy to separate, but after some care, they all recover. 

This is a normal blooming strelitzia nicolai where you can see how different the petioles are compared to the dwarf one. Even the pups have long petioles. 

IMG_02201.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, paquicuba said:

Come and get it! I'll give you one. I actually have another mother plant in a pot with a bunch of pups. They're not easy to separate, but after some care, they all recover. 

I'm coming :lol:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

• 9 months later...

Dwarf WBP pup is now blooming in a 15 gallon pot. The mother plant hasn't stopped blooming and it hasn't grown much either. 

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...