IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Most exotic palms in 9b

Insomniac411

I have a triple Archontopheonix maxima (marginal), Kentiopsis olivformis (marginal), Ptychosperma "red fruit", Bismarkia nobilis, Mule palms, Syagrus caerensis (marginal), Lytocaryum hoehenei, Allogoptera arenaria and a few nice Beccariopheonix alfredii growing in central St. Johns county.  I think we are really pushing this zone with exotics such as crown shaft palms as much as I love to plant them.  But if I had a screened in pool enclosure I would be containerizing the hell out of some slow growing crown shaft palms e.g. bottle palms, spindles, buccaneers, chambeyronia's and so forth and just hand truck them in the garage during a freeze event. 

I have heard of a mature royal palm growing in Marsh Landing on Anastasia Island but the closest one I've seen is in Ormond Beach along the Halifax River. If you are into cycads you check out the Ceratozamias. They are bullet proof and really exotic for our area.  If you want to PM me I am always bringing cool stuff from down south.  Next week, however, I will be stopping by Mule Palms of Mississippi to check out their hybrids. 

25 minutes ago, Kekoanui said:

I have a triple Archontopheonix maxima (marginal), Kentiopsis olivformis (marginal), Ptychosperma "red fruit", Bismarkia nobilis, Mule palms, Syagrus caerensis (marginal), Lytocaryum hoehenei, Allogoptera arenaria and a few nice Beccariopheonix alfredii growing in central St. Johns county.  I think we are really pushing this zone with exotics such as crown shaft palms as much as I love to plant them.  But if I had a screened in pool enclosure I would be containerizing the hell out of some slow growing crown shaft palms e.g. bottle palms, spindles, buccaneers, chambeyronia's and so forth and just hand truck them in the garage during a freeze event. 

I have heard of a mature royal palm growing in Marsh Landing on Anastasia Island but the closest one I've seen is in Ormond Beach along the Halifax River. If you are into cycads you check out the Ceratozamias. They are bullet proof and really exotic for our area.  If you want to PM me I am always bringing cool stuff from down south.  Next week, however, I will be stopping by Mule Palms of Mississippi to check out their hybrid

I'D LOVE TO SEE YOUR PLACE SOMETIME SINCE WE ARE BASICALLY NIEGHBORS! SORRY FOR THE CAPS. MY MESSEGE DELETED WHEN I SENT IT, SO THIS WAS IN EDIT FORM. 

23 hours ago, jreich85 said:

Edited by Insomniac411
Comments were left out of original messege

It's amazing that crownshaft palms are marginal in St. Augustine, even though they could grow easily in Cocoa Beach, less than hour south of there.  In Orlando, there seem to be crownshaft palms everywhere.  There must be dramatic climate change at around highway 50 (to the east) and around I-4 (to the west). 

Kekoanui, I have a screened pool and everything I plant there flourishes. I should get more risque with my selection. I have 2 andonia in pots that do well. 

20170906_173415-1328x747.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sandy Loam said:

It's amazing that crownshaft palms are marginal in St. Augustine, even though they could grow easily in Cocoa Beach, less than hour south of there.  In Orlando, there seem to be crownshaft palms everywhere.  There must be dramatic climate change at around highway 50 (to the east) and around I-4 (to the west). 

The real inflection point for the climate on the east coast is Cape Canaveral. South of there you can generally grow tropicals and north of there you generally can't. From New Smyrna Beach north the cooldown is pretty gradual imo. Since 2000 the avg annual low at the NSB airport has been 32f, but it was still 28f all the way up in Mayport (Jacksonville.) 

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

We can arrange a meet-up for sure.  I have good connections for palms down in Brevard County.  More recently I visited Mike at Caribbean Palms in Loxahatchee.  Great selection of rare palms for sale!  I am hoping to pick up a Butia x parajubea here in Mississippi.  Can't wait to see what this nursery in Ocean Springs has to offer!

6 hours ago, Insomniac411 said:

I bought mine from a place here near st. Augustine, but I spoke with Mike from MB palms in Orlando and he quoted me a 45gal alfreddii for $225. https://www.plantant.com/nursery-availability/1005451/mb-palms

Thanks! I had no idea of that place, and may have to make a trip down there. And to stay on topic, in case it hasn't been mentioned, chamaedorea radicalis could be a cool, unique palm for up here. Interestingly, my long term plan is similar to Beach Palm's: use bigger, more hearty palms and coastal plants to form a perimeter and help create somewhat of a microclimate for the more tender palms.

Insomnia, you should grow some Kentia palms in your pool area especially if you're north facing.  There are a ton of nice triples for sale at Leonardi's on Anastasia. Very coconut-like and hardy into the 20's.  They just need shade!  They are young enough to where you could split them and grow 'em in separate containers.

Edited by Kekoanui

Kentia Palms?  Kentia Palms are a rare find in Florida.  I was under the impression that they did not like our humidity and heat, but I could be mistaken. 

If shade-grown, how quickly do they grow?  (in our sticky, wet, hot Florida climate, that is)  If they are slow or even medium-speed, I won't bother.   

As for the recommendation (above) to grow Chamaedorea Radicalis, I wouldn't bother with those unless they are body height at the time of purchase.  Years ago, I bought some mature ones (almost my own height; one even taller than me) and I love them, but they have NOT grown at all in years.  I couldn't even imagine buying small ones because they are so slow.  Having said this, no amount of cold seems to damage them in the slightest.  It is a good palm for Georgia (zone 8b), but we can grow a lot more in Florida.  Another problem for me has been soil.  They seem to do better here in pots then in soil, for some reason.  They don't mind lots of shade, but they seem to need high-draining conditions.  It may also be that something in our soil annoys them.  The two I have growing in-ground in builder sand are doing better than those in my "normal" soil which is a mix of sand and clay.  Those in pots have not had any problems over the years, event though they may be rather root-bound my now.   

As for the remarks about Beccariophoenix Alfredii, I bought one from Seabreeze Palms in Fort Myers back in 2011 in a 3 gallon pot (they even shipped the whole pot because it was in-state!..no root disturbance).  I may have paid less than $40, but I can't remember now.  After a transplanting disaster to that palm, I later bought a second one (2 gallon?) for about $30 from somewhere in St. Petersburg which I can't recall the name of.  The problem with this palm here is that it seems to hate shade and will hardly grow in shady conditions.  Yet, up here in northern Florida, we have to grow it in deep shade in order to benefit from the protection of overhead canopy.  As a result, we will never be able to enjoy it here.  I would not risk planting one right out in the open this far north.  Maybe it is worth the risk on the coast, but not inland here.      

Slow grow may work wonders for me in my screeenhouse by the pool. I have giant birds of paradise and they have grown so big in one year they are almost hitting where the roof starts. Don't know what I'll do with them if they keep growing so quickly. Even my Roebellenii is putting out fronds at super pace. I'm amazed at how well everything is growing under screen. Think it even helps with frost. Kekoanui has it right though, I have two pots with some common palm when I could get something so much nicer and wheel it indoors during cold snaps. As for B.Alfredii,  I have a beautiful one in my front yard that hasn't grown an inch in the 9 months I've had it. I have a feeling it will be a super slow grower also.

I'm having a totally different experience with the alfredii's here in St. John's county.  My Kentiopis along with my king palms get frost damage each winter but my 4 alfredii's are unphased.  That are growing like weeds and don't slow much in the winter.  Insomniac, you'll dig the Kentias out at Leonardi's and they are the most well suited palms for containers.  IMG_0760.JPG.f4033db9263ebaa963f2526e8ec

• Upvote 4

Sandy Loam, Kentias will ONLY grow in shade here in Florida.  Any amount of direct sunlight will fry 'em.  I have seen them in the ground as far North as New Smyrna. They may not form a trunk for awhile which is why they would be well suited for screened enclosures.  They are graceful, exotic and shade-loving.  Only problem is they are pricey.  However, they are always sold as multi-stemmed so you can separate them if they are not to root bound.  

Edited by Kekoanui

I have three alfredii’s Growing in full sun in st. Augustine. I wouldn’t think of any other way for them. They really seem to want the sun. They grow pretty fast...if.. you give them lots of water. The more the better. Soak several times a week at least. They also want fertilizer.  They have been in the ground for 4 years or so. I have never had a cold burn on any of them yet.

I have three howea’s growing in st. Augustine. The tallest is probably 8’ Overall. I would definitely start them in shade but they will grow into the sun. Most of them are grown in shade from seedlings so you can’t just stick them out in the sun. They will adjust if you increase the light gradually. They are marginal here so I really don’t want them to grow out of the shade too much. Yes they are slow but for me I don’t want them to get too big because they will push into the open exposing themselves to cold winds. I have heard issues about them not liking humidity but I have grown them for years at my house in South Florida without any issues at all. I do grow them in shade down here. Carribean palms is a great source. I go out there frequently. Mike is great to deal with and he is an excellent grower.

Radicalis aren’t too bad for me growth rate wise. I have grown them numerous times from seeds off of my own plants. It takes about two to three years from seedling to a one gallon plant. They are an easy grow.  I planted about 15 of them out this spring. Unfortunately the rabbits coming in from the dunes loved them. They ate them down to nubs and killed them. My larger ones are ok as the rabbits can’t get to the growth point. I started another 15 or so this year. I’ll have to grow them bigger this time before I plant them out.  

I have 4 or 5 Patric crosses. They have all been bullet proof so far.

chambeyronias are marginal. I put a macrocarpa in a perfect location at my mothers house in st. Augustine. It was doing great but I haven’t seen it for a couple of years as she sold her house. At my house I found macrocarpa was the most cold sensitive. I have a hookeri out that’s doing good so far but it’s too early to tell. I also grew 3 houaliou’s from seeds and planted them out. They are around 4’ overall now. I have read they are the most cold hardy so I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

There are some queens that are from a high elevation in Brazil that grow way larger than the typical queen. I have three I grew from one gallons that are 12-15’ tall in 4 years. They are doing great so far. No sign of any cold damage yet. They are suppose to be more cold hardy than the regular queen. 

I have four different copernicia’s. They are all doing good so far too. The hospita’s are gorgeous. 

I also have numerous coccothrinax and thrinax. Crinita does the best. 

I also have 4 medemia argun that I grew from seed. Now those are some slow plants. Very little growth. They definitely hate our humidity but they are getting there. 

Brahea’s do much better here than expected. I had a 6’ armata that took me 10 years to grow, I had to move it from the easement area in the front of my house. I paid leonardi’s To move it but it still died. I was heart broken over that one. I started another one but it’s years away. I have at least 4 other species of  Brahea’s. The one called super blue grows really fast. The armata’s are definitely the slowest. 

Rhapis do fine as long as they are in shade. I have 5-6 species. Some don’t like my salt air as I am right on the ocean. Excelsa, humilis and robusta seem to do the best. 

Most livistona’s do fine here but I don’t grow many because I don’t like the thorns. I think I have 5 species.

I probably have 10 or so species of sabals. They are all pretty bullet proof. Yapa and mauritformis are the most cold sensitive. My mauritiformis is 20+’ now with 15’ of trunk. Produces tons of seeds.

butia’s of any kind are bullet proof. I have 7-8 species. I mail ordered a 5 gallon super blue capitata and super blue yatay from jungle music in California. Expensive but gorgeous. The yatay grows like a weed the capitata is more of a normal pace for a butia. 

Ive got a bunch more including an attalea that I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have a 30’ in South Florida. They are awesome. I am hoping with some protection I can grow one in st. Augustine. 

• Upvote 2

Wow, I am surprised to hear that Beccariophoenix Alfredii has experienced no damage out in the open and in full sun in St. Augustine -- for two of you.  I recall someone from Pensacola saying that their was quite damaged during the big freeze several years ago.  I wouldn't risk it here in Gainesville unless I am missing something.  I am at the exact same latitude as you, but inland, so colder.  My coldest temperature since 2010 has been 26 degrees Fahrenheit (for an hour at most), but it will certainly get colder at some point in the future. 

I really wish I could grow a Beccariophoenix Alfredii here in full sun, but I am just not feeling confident about it.  However, I am thrilled to hear about your amazing growth rate, Kekouanui.  Insomniac411, yours is probably too newly planted to tell what it will do.    

Edited by Sandy Loam
  • Upvote 1

Although at the same latitude, I have noticed that the counties bordering the Atlantic have far better winter conditions than those in central FL or the panhandle. Of course, one freak winter storm and all bets are off. But so far so good, and those rare storms can possibly be mitigated with the right precautions.

I am really stoked to hear from all the palm enthusiasts in North Florida.  When I moved here from Satellite Beach I had pretty much given up on collecting palms.  The key for me is finding the cheapest source for palms so I don't have to feel guilty about losing them to periodic frost events.  Also, you have to be mindful of where you plant.  Even down south it is always good practice to plant the more tender palms on the south side of your house.  Up here In St Johns county I have two-story homes on each side of me blocking any northern exposure so much that the north and south sides of my house do not see any frost. In fact my grass stays green on on both sides through the winter while the rest of my grass goes dormant. 

Beach Palm, you are in a unique spot on the coast.  Your collection is impressive to say the least (Copernicus hospita, really? That is awesome! ) When I first started driving the coast from St. Augustine to Flagler, I first noticed sea grapes growing this far north, then occasionally spotting Arecas, Spindles and Triangle palms which are all available at Home Depot. But like you mentioned, you have to create a micro-climate or wind barrier. You can't just plant random cold-sensitive palms around the yard without a certain degree of protection. Do I expect to have these palms around forever?  Not at all.  I will enjoy them while they are young, some I will keep in containers, and I will experiment with hybrids like Butia x Parajubea. Bottom line is it's a cool hobby and half the fun is visiting nurseries, connecting with people here on the forum and watching palms flourish in areas where you would least expect to see them. 

Edited by Kekoanui

9 hours ago, jreich85 said:

Although at the same latitude, I have noticed that the counties bordering the Atlantic have far better winter conditions than those in central FL or the panhandle. Of course, one freak winter storm and all bets are off. But so far so good, and those rare storms can possibly be mitigated with the right precautions.

I agree, and there is also the west half vs. east half variable, too, in Florida.  For some reason, the countryside east of Gainesville tends to be much warmer than west of Gainesville.  If you drive just ten minutes west of Gainesville, you would not believe how cold it gets on some January mornings at 7:00 am.  In Gainesville, it can easily be six degrees warmer and not too much different in patches of the zone between St. Augustine and Gainesville (Paltka, Hawthorne, etc.).   Even down as far south as Dade City, I have noticed that the western half of the state can be as cold or colder than Gainesville.  The winter climate doesn't warm up much on the western half until you get down into Tampa -- -possibly the deep south of Pasco County.  Dade City, for example, is farther south than Orlando, but SO much colder on those winter nights when the temperature drops significantly. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017‎ ‎7‎:‎29‎:‎04‎, Beach palm said:

I have about 100 species of palms growing in southern st. Augustine beach. I have quite a few that you would consider “exotics” for the area. Most of them were purchased in South Florida while some were mail ordered. From my experience the wind is more of a problem than our typical low temperatures. A temperature of 31 with 30 mph winds is far worse than 28 without any winds. I also try to avoid the “exotics” as you call them, which to me for this area are 9A or 10B palms, that grow tall. If the palm grows too tall it gets up into the wind. I use the more cold hardy species like butia and sabal as wind breaks. I also use clumping bamboo as wind breaks. Palms like to have neighbors of plants around them as it helps to hold in the moisture and warmth. B. Alfredii is a good palm for our area. My two largest ones are probably 10’ overall height. Brahea’s do well although some are slow. Coccothrinax crinita does good. Understory palms like chamaedorea do well since they grow in protected areas. I continue to try different species. I am branching into different ravenea. I already have glauca and hillbrandtii. I am also going to try additional syagrus and a hapala. I wouldn’t try a kentiopsis because it will grow too tall.

This is news to me.  So, wind DOES have an impact on the temperature outcome for plants?  I was not aware of this.  I was under the impression that the "feels like" temperature (for humans) doesn't change anything for plants.  

Also, I thought some people on PalmTalk felt that an advective freeze (windy) was better than a radiational freeze, but I could be mistaken.   

I have lived in St. Augustine South for the past 35 years just south of the SR 312 bridge & Flagler Hospital. We are very close to the Intracoastal Waterway and heavy live oak tree cover so very protected from frost many years.  I have two beccariophoenix alfredii in the ground, one in the sun and one in partial shade.  The one in the sun has been in the ground for three years. The full sun is growing faster but not by much. They did very well last winter unprotected.  I have also been growing in the ground a crownshaft archontophoenix cunninghamiana (king palm) under oak canopy for about four years.  It was not bothered by any cold since then and did very well in the hurricanes and has gotten quite tall.  There is a very modern designed house on Water Street in downtown St. Augustine that has some quite large royal palms growing in the back yard for years.  Some winters they have had some frond burn but come right back strong.  Haven't been by since the hurricane to see how they did.  I grow adonidia merrillii (large containers) arenga engleri, butia capitata, butiagrus, caryota mitis, chamaedorea microspadix, chamaerops humilis, dictyosperma album (in container) dypsis lutescens (in the ground and large containers) livistona chinensis, phoenix canariensis, phoenix reclinata, phoenix roebellini, rhaphis excelsa, syagrus romanzoffiana, and washingtonia robusta. I like to hear what other folks are growing up here in northeast Florida.

Edited by Lou-StAugFL
  • Upvote 1

Lou St. Aug, FL

On 10/28/2017, 11:37:59, Kekoanui said:

Insomnia, you should grow some Kentia palms in your pool area especially if you're north facing.  There are a ton of nice triples for sale at Leonardi's on Anastasia. Very coconut-like and hardy into the 20's.  They just need shade!  They are young enough to where you could split them and grow 'em in separate containers.

Personally I really like Kentia's. I don't have any shade to provide them here, but if I did I'd certainly own a few. I'm jealous of the Palmtalkers in Europe who can grow them out in the open without any burn. 

19 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

As for the remarks about Beccariophoenix Alfredii, I bought one from Seabreeze Palms in Fort Myers back in 2011 in a 3 gallon pot (they even shipped the whole pot because it was in-state!..no root disturbance).  I may have paid less than $40, but I can't remember now.  After a transplanting disaster to that palm, I later bought a second one (2 gallon?) for about $30 from somewhere in St. Petersburg which I can't recall the name of.  The problem with this palm here is that it seems to hate shade and will hardly grow in shady conditions.  Yet, up here in northern Florida, we have to grow it in deep shade in order to benefit from the protection of overhead canopy.  As a result, we will never be able to enjoy it here.  I would not risk planting one right out in the open this far north.  Maybe it is worth the risk on the coast, but not inland here.      

I'm guessing you bought it from Mike Evans. He's in St. Pete and has the best palm nursery on the west coast. 

I'd only grow Beccariophoenix out in the open even with a colder climate. The difference for this palm between full sun and shade is just too substantial. They love full sun and grow fast, but I understand they're slugs in the shade. I grow mine out in the open and if we get a hard freeze I'll just cover it. 

5 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

I agree, and there is also the west half vs. east half variable, too, in Florida.  For some reason, the countryside east of Gainesville tends to be much warmer than west of Gainesville.  If you drive just ten minutes west of Gainesville, you would not believe how cold it gets on some January mornings at 7:00 am.  In Gainesville, it can easily be six degrees warmer and not too much different in patches of the zone between St. Augustine and Gainesville (Paltka, Hawthorne, etc.).   Even down as far south as Dade City, I have noticed that the western half of the state can be as cold or colder than Gainesville.  The winter climate doesn't warm up much on the western half until you get down into Tampa -- -possibly the deep south of Pasco County.  Dade City, for example, is farther south than Orlando, but SO much colder on those winter nights when the temperature drops significantly. 

You're certainly right about the west coast. Southern Pasco County is still 9b, but everything north of highway 52 is 9a. It is a dramatic change actually, Tampa International averages 32f and Spring Hill is only at 23f!  That's only 43 miles and Spring Hill is still slightly south of Orlando. FWIW, Tampa is kind of cold too for this latitude.

Unfortunately I don't know why the west coast is so much colder, I'd love to know what the reason is if anyone happens to know.  

• Upvote 2

In Melbourne Beach, I have:

Chambeyronia macrocarpa ( watermelon )

Licuala Grandis ( in pot )

Kentopsis oliformis

Dypsis lanceolata

Chamaedorea metallica 

Dypsis cabadae

Pseudophoenix sargentii

All very happy and well established.

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

This one takes the the prize for most exotic Palm growing in 9A off Goodby's Creek in Jacksonville, FL.  I have no unearthly idea how the hell this Royal Palm has weathered North Florida.  I moved up here from Satellite Beach in 2014. We had a low of 23 degrees that winter. And to the right is a Majesty Palm and if you look even closer top left you see a Foxtail.  Incredible microclimate going on here. Someone please explain this phenomenon to me!

IMG_0765.JPG

Edited by Kekoanui
  • Upvote 1

On 10/29/2017, 10:49:07, Sandy Loam said:

I've always wondered the same thing... maybe some of it can be explained as an extended effect of the "heat island", assuming that during a cold period, air may be moving from west to east over town and slightly warming?

I don't know.  Could it also be that there are so many wetlands and lakes in the northeastern quadrant of the state, in addition to the entire St Johns River basin and its tributaries? (However, there is some of that in the western part of the peninsula too.)  Could it be the Gulf streem effect on the Atlantic side?  Even if so, the Gulf Stream effect is supposed to be vastly greater in the southeast as far north as Palm Beach and then fizzles out rather dramatically north of Palm Beach.

On 11/1/2017, 9:31:52, Kekoanui said:

This one takes the the prize for most exotic Palm growing in 9A off Goodby's Creek in Jacksonville, FL.  I have no unearthly idea how the hell this Royal Palm has weathered North Florida.  I moved up here from Satellite Beach in 2014. We had a low of 23 degrees that winter. And to the right is a Majesty Palm and if you look even closer top left you see a Foxtail.  Incredible microclimate going on here. Someone please explain this phenomenon to me!

IMG_0765.JPG

This is what I'm talking about. I WANT TO BE THIS GUY!

Insomniac, if you are serious about a Royal Palm, Gospel Gardens in Flagler has a nice field grown specimen for sale.  My guess is if you can a mature Royal established you would probably have a better chance of it surviving a bad winter.  Here's where it's located.  

1803 Old Moody Blvd
Bunnell, FL  32110
United States

I'm going to wrap my palm when the weather goes below 30. I do with a lot of other plants anyhow. I'll see how my royal does this year. As far as that house in Jax, I'm totally driving there today! The beauty of retirement. 

On 11/2/2017, 11:52:58, Kekoanui said:

Wow, that's a lot for sharing sharing. Streetview confirms they were there in 2007 and were partially defoliated in the image in March 2011. This really is an outstanding find to see pre-2010 royals growing in Jacksonville. 

I see the Jacksonville Naval Air Station is just across the river from there. In 2010 they had a low of 24 which isn't too bad considering Tampa came in at just 25 that year. 24f is cold, but mature royals can survive that. Looking further into the data, I see it the average low there from 2000-2015 was 27.69f. That's pretty good for being so far north and only 1f cooler than Mayport at the coast. The St. Johns river must be a major influence on the climate there. 

The bad news is it hit 21f in 2003 and 2000. Despite it being a great microclimate, I think it is unlikely they could have survived 21f so my guess is they were planted after 2003 and have just been lucky ever since. 

• Upvote 1

I am going crazy over this home. Used Google earth and viewed it from different angles. Haven't made it over there yet but will soon. Looks like a couple of large royals are there. Hope they don't think I'm taking them.

Screenshot_20171103-144758.png

Screenshot_20171103-144247.png

Screenshot_20171103-144119.png

I am impressed.  There has to be a crazy microclimate going on right there that gives it a 3-4 degree bump.

On 10/27/2017, 8:22:03, Kekoanui said:
On 11/4/2017, 12:24:13, RedRabbit said:

Omg! Just passed by the Goodbys Creek house in Mandarin area of Jacksonville. Yes I should change my name to PalmStalker. It was absolutely amazing. Pictures do not do this justice. These trees are HUGE and as of right now green full, and super healty. I really wish i could walk around, but I was sheepishly snapping quick pics. I was in awe! Not sure the majesty is still there, but there were a couple royals and a huge foxtail. Tell me what you think.

Insomnia, I share your enthusiasum for these palms.  It reminds me of when I moved to Satellite Beach from JAX in 1989.  We had a major freeze event down in Central Florida that wiped out nearly all the tropical plants, even the Norfolk Island and Australian pines were toast.  

My passion for palms started with a single surviving coconut tree in Satellite Beach that withstood that freeze only because it was situated on the ocean in the center of an L-shaped condo that protected it from the northeast. There were a handful of established royal palms along the river in Indialantic Beach that survived but all bared the same scares on their trunks from the winter of '89.  

It is awesome to think that we both could plant royals where we live but the reality is we don't have the benefit of the ocean or the river.  I give you credit for planting a royal palm.  Just plan on protecting it until it gets established, 5-6 years at least.

Too bad you didn't settle further down on the peninsula.  Life is mo' betta in the sub-tropics.  

Edited by Kekoanui

If I would have realized my love for these plants sooner. I have a buddy in South Florida who isn't even into landscaping and I see pictures of what's on his property and I'm so jealous. If it were not for the st.johns county schools, we'd definitely be further south. School system was the selling point.

Insomnia, this coconut is to me what those royals are to you. Anything is possible, right. Keep pushing the zone!

IMG_0483.PNG

Edited by Kekoanui
  • Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Kekoanui said:

Insomnia, this coconut is to me what those royals are to you. Anything is possible, right. Keep pushing the zone!

IMG_0483.PNG

That is amazing. Mammoth! If only in 9a!