IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Most exotic palms in 9b

Insomniac411

I still own a piece of "palm paradise" down in Satellite Beach.  When the palms got too big, I had to build an ocean deck on the roof so I could continue to enjoy them.  Hahahaha!

IMG_0770.PNG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

It is amazing what a difference just a two hour drive makes (southward, of course). I am familiar with the Satellite Beach area.  I recall there being coconut palms all over the place there.  Kekoanui, you have very mature landscaping there.  That Traveller's Tree is huge!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Sandy, we bought this place 1 block off the ocean in 1992.  You couldn't really buy tropical palms anywhere local after '89.  So we brought everything back from trips down south. The Traveler tree was planted from a seeding.  The cool thing is it used to grow north to south.  After it surpassed the wall it turned east to west!

The rest of the old growth consists of three 18' king palms, a Roystonea sp. and a really robust triangle palm. In addition there are three crooked queen palms, a triple christas palm and I have a foxtail we bought the year it was introduced at TPIE.  

I had a beautiful trunking red Latakia in the center of the landscape that died from palm weavil infestation and has been replaced with a giant pandanus. And sadly lost 4 coconuts that got taken out by hurricanes and subsequent freezes in 2009-2010.

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

Edited by Kekoanui
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Went back to the house in Jax with the royals and exotic tropicals and couldnt believe it. Even with the crazy cold we had here, they may have damage but they are alive! They are lure freaks of nature.

20180222_104416-747x1328.jpg

20180222_104444-747x1328.jpg

20180222_104536-747x1328.jpg

20180222_104552-747x1328.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Well, the mystery has been solved as that place just doesn't get cold.  For a queen sago to not burn means that it never got below 27-28 there.  That foxtail looks like 27-28F damage too. There is some voodoo magic microclimate going on there. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Insomniac411 said:

Went back to the house in Jax with the royals and exotic tropicals and couldnt believe it. Even with the crazy cold we had here, they may have damage but they are alive! They are lure freaks of nature.

The damage is almost identical to what I've seen around here from 28f. It is amazing to see such a great microclimate in Jacksonville.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

4 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

The damage is almost identical to what I've seen around here from 28f. It is amazing to see such a great microclimate in Jacksonville.

Well, how cold did Jacksonville get?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 3 years later...

A newbe. Had a landscaper put in triple Christmas palms around our pool In Saint Augustine Fl. He says they will be ok

in this 9A zone but I am reading otherwise??  Help..

• 2 years later...

Any luck with the royals in St. John’s county? I just planted a 10’ one on the south side of my house in st Augustine. We’re a little inland west of 95. I know that doesn’t help. I have a double king palm as well that’s done ok for the last 4 years. Here are pics. The Royal palm is in the center foreground. 

C6A5464C-1D05-4227-B7EC-BEE9A1ED8A01.jpeg

D0CB8D84-C310-44DC-BE6A-395CEA802822.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/24/2017 at 7:57 PM, Laaz said:

I agree & over priced. There's a place here that sells them that size for $50. 

Here in Charleston? 

22 hours ago, JDawgs said:

Any luck with the royals in St. John’s county? I just planted a 10’ one on the south side of my house in st Augustine. We’re a little inland west of 95. I know that doesn’t help. I have a double king palm as well that’s done ok for the last 4 years. Here are pics. The Royal palm is in the center foreground.

@ChristianStAug and @Lou-StAugFL know the area pretty well and what you can get away with where.  They're closer to the water, though.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F