IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea in PNW

pin38

I know there are Jubaea Chilensis that have been spotted/documented around Seattle and I think Portland too, but I was wondering how long-term do you think this species is for those cities, as well as coastal areas and the Olympic Peninsula (especially rain shadow towns near 8b/9a border)? Do they get knocked out after 10 years? Or is there potential for them to be left alone for decades on end?

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

4 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Most of the decades old ones are in private gardens so their hard to see or know about. This one is pretty big and you might enjoy looking at this garden from November 2016. This one is near Seattle. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUpkvN38r4A

Impressive garden, those larger trachies were planted early-1980s so I'm guessing that big jubaea is close to that age or not much younger. That garden looks to be in a nice microclimate as well. Thanks for the link!

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

3 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

What in the world is going on with that jubaea????? Jubaea doesn't sucker........

True! I didn't know it was capable to do that... I was going to ask in the comment section of the video but I can't see where write it.

08053.gif

10 hours ago, Sanips said:

True! I didn't know it was capable to do that... I was going to ask in the comment section of the video but I can't see where write it.

I have no idea either what that means, Maybe it a hybrid, and that jubaea is not the best looking one I have seen either. … Really like to see this garden and pick this guys brain…. also a friend asked what is Trachycarpus (costia) sp? I have never heard anything like that either, LOL!  Garden is nice and has some interesting plants but it not the best PNW garden, I’ve seen a few that are way better looking. Nice collection of palm trees even thou they look to be over pruned. I don’t have a tikil palm so that was interesting to see. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, pin38 said:

Impressive garden, those larger trachies were planted early-1980s so I'm guessing that big jubaea is close to that age or not much younger. That garden looks to be in a nice microclimate as well. Thanks for the link!

Hey I got an email from a friend that said Kirkland is zone 8 but much colder than Seattle so thats why some of the palms are not as good looking as I’ve seen. Another gardening friend said that Dave who took the video sells exotic and palms and he got all his tikils from him also. My friends tikil is like 18’ tall and bloom the first time this summer. 

I’m hopping to get to Tacoma WA next fall and will take picture of a true 8b/9a garden with lots of mature feather palms and one of the biggest and fullest B. armata palms around. 

Edited by Palm crazy

23 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Hey I got an email from a friend that said Kirkland is zone 8 but much colder than Seattle so thats why some of the palms are not as good looking as I’ve seen. Another gardening friend said that Dave who took the video sells exotic and palms and he got all his tikils from him also. My friends tikil is like 18’ tall and bloom the first time this summer. 

I’m hopping to get to Tacoma WA next fall and will take picture of a true 8b/9a garden with lots of mature feather palms and one of the biggest and fullest B. armata palms around. 

That makes sense since it's on the east side of Lake Washington, so that's promising for gardens closer to the sound. And that Tacoma garden would be neat to see, I look forward to pictures if you decide to post them.

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh