IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Visit to Kris' Garden, with Love

Kim

Bo and I visited Kris in India recently. Bo has many more photos, but I thought I'd kick it off.  

Kris with his favorite palm, Tahina:

DSC_1413.thumb.jpg.eb9692e719f78e7d045e4

DSC_1414.thumb.jpg.478eb2d4ed95a7a7d6094

Kris with his Medemia argue:DSC_1419.thumb.jpg.0b336ef8f031136efb276

I guess this is what you might call "discussing palms worldwide".

DSC_1425.thumb.jpg.2bdb2105f2315c39786e6

• Upvote 12

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kris and his family turned out to greet us, and were very welcoming hosts. We spent most of the visit viewing his collection.

DSC_1430.thumb.jpg.4aa4c82748ed856c2c7c6

DSC_1435.thumb.jpg.14dca0d4f25ff6f72fb11

Kris also grows many non-palms, especially plants that thrive in dry conditions, such as this Adenium:

DSC_1444.thumb.jpg.107989f60b1ec14a78cbd

At the conclusion of the tour, Bo had the honor of planting a hybrid Phoenix in Kris' garden:

DSC_1458.thumb.jpg.8e0e866227753d35e0a0c

View from the rooftop:

DSC_1446.thumb.jpg.e301af4f94ddd9485271d

Thank you Kris for your kind welcome to your home and garden. It was such a pleasure to meet you and your family. One more example of how palms bring people together around the world.

Kris and Bo, please add  your own photos!

• Upvote 11

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Where in India is it, and what is the climate like there, wet, dry, or seasonal? This may have been answered in other posts that I missed.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

It's always nice to put a face with such a long time contributor as Kris. Love that Tahina; wish I would have gotten one when they were around. Thanks for the pictures as always Kim!

• Upvote 4

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

4 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Where in India is it, and what is the climate like there, wet, dry, or seasonal? This may have been answered in other posts that I missed.

I think Kris is in Chennai, southeast part of India. 

How nice Kim, if one goes to India then a visit to our friend Kris is a must. I look forward to more photos.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

5 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Topwater is correct; Kris lives in the city of Chennai (formerly Madras) in southeast India, near the coast.  The climate is quite hot (high 80s to 90sF) and humid, with both a dry and a wet season. The wet season is particularly challenging due to the soil being heavy clay, and some palms tend to rot in the extended rain. By contrast the dry season is quite dry and some irrigation is required.

We have visited a few gardens in the Chennai and Madurai (further south and inland) areas, and some palms really thrive in the conditions while others struggle. Bismarck, Copernicia, Coccothrinax and Corypha seem to thrive, while the more tender-leaved species such as Arecas and Chambeyronia will burn without shade.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Hello,

it must have been a great travel - thank you very much for letting us participate! 

Since I got a few (dehusked) coconuts from India - I imploringly hope, they will germinate - 

I am eager to know what can be grown where in India. The climate seems to be very different 

in north, south, west and east etc., so I am looking forward this (hopefully ongoing) thread or any

others documenting this journey.

With best regards - especially to Kris and his family - 

Lars

• Upvote 1

Fantastic! What a great event!!

Wish I could have been there to meet Kris too!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

What a treat. I love Kris' how-to posts and thoughtful replies. Cheers Kris.

• Upvote 2

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Kris and Bo, please add  your own photos!

Yes, looking forward to enjoying these pictures ! 

Kris , what is the palm we see the trunk on the right of your Bismarckia? Cocos? 

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Great visit to Kris

• Upvote 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

love it!!

awesome to see fellow palm talkers who are great contributors like Bret said. . Sounds like an amazing trip indeed.  And ohhh the food....Love me some Indian food :)

thanks for sharing Kim and Bo!!

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Dear Kim,

Thanks for starting this thread,And i also want to thank you,Mr.Bo-Goran and Mr.Haresh for visiting me and our garden.This indeed means a lot to me.I have always admired Mr.Bo-Goran for his love for palms and his desire for physical fitness.He's my Hero and meeting him in person was like having my long time wish come true.

And also my sincere thanks to my forum friends who have interacted in this thread.

Though on that day i have not taken any stills,as i was talking but my assistant was taking stills using mobile phone,I will post stills from that.

Hope even Mr.Bo-Goran will join in the discussion when time permits.

Lots of love to you all,

Kris.

• Upvote 5

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks Kim, for getting this thread started! :) And Kris, first of all, thank you for the kind words, and my apologies to you, and everybody else, for not responding sooner. We're still travelling and unfortunately I seem to be unable to post my photos directly to PalmTalk from my laptop (apparently they are too large) and I don't seem to have a way of reducing the size on my laptop (or at least, I don't know how to do it! :huh: ), so will get back to this thread once I have returned home and have access to my regular computers. :) And Kris, thank you so very much to you and your whole family for the hospitality you showed Kim and me when we visited you last week. It was very special to both of us to finally meet with you and see your garden and your rooftop with all your palms, and I am sorry we didn't have more time!:)

I will get back to this thread as soon as I have the opportunity.:)

• Upvote 3

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

20171015_095928_rotation.thumb.jpg.4ff3d

20171015_095957_rotation.thumb.jpg.18ee9

I was showing Livistona Rotundifolia palm which has grown 3 stories high and its is around 20 years old.

20171015_100026_rotation.thumb.jpg.c2982

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

This is my Mom 

20171015_100456_rotation.thumb.jpg.d73ec

This is my younger brother's family 

20171015_100625.thumb.jpg.ba3b3ee0c98d7f

Now to roof garden,This is a actually my palm growing area once they become too big for our garden i send them to local government parks or gift them to local friends.

20171015_100946.thumb.jpg.630cab747b5b0a

• Upvote 5

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I was asking as to why our Pseudophoenix Ekmanii Palm was getting dark spots on its older leaves..

20171015_101146.thumb.jpg.518c0b39e4373b

My wife is seen seated near me,At that moment we were asking about their flight journey to Chennai..And do they like our climate.

20171015_102535.thumb.jpg.13b1c7e168056b

• Upvote 3

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And just before leaving our house.We requested Mr.Bo-Goran to plant a Hybrid Phoenix Palm which was sent to me by our forum member M@X,from Rome few years back.And planting of the palm by Mr.Bo-Goran meant a lot to me.The happiness and joy i cherished cannot be put in few words.

20171015_103628.thumb.jpg.8ca89fb46958be

20171015_103752.thumb.jpg.8d14cfb0bfa941

Thanks and Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 5

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Fantastic thread

• Upvote 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

6 minutes ago, Gileno Machado said:

Fantastic thread

I think so,

And fantastic people ! I wish I will meet one day. :D

• Upvote 1

Philippe

BTW, Kris, is there nice palms in Chennai botanic gardens ; Semmozhi Poonga or Madhavaram Botanical Garden ? 
No older  garden from the british time like Peradeniya ?

Thanks,

Philippe

Kris, 

thank you very much for your update and taking us around your garden and home.

I couldn`t describe it better as Kim already did:

On 10/18/2017, 11:55:56, Kim said:

One more example of how palms bring people together around the world.

Nothing to add!

best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 2

Looks like a nice visit Kris. Plus you had plant royalty there with Haresh!

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I'm back home now after a great trip and a first visit to India for both Kim and me (and yes, there will be more! :) ). And our India visit was certainly made that much more special thanks to Haresh and Kris! :) I don't have but so many photos and I will do my best to avoid outright duplication with what has already been posted. Here's a photo of the four of us in Kris' garden.

DSC_0122.JPG

• Upvote 4

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Kris with one of his Coryphas. :)

DSC_0124.JPG

• Upvote 6

A couple of garden views from up above.

DSC_0129.JPG

DSC_0130.JPG

• Upvote 6

And two photos from Kris' rooftop garden, which I guess could also be referred to as his container collection. :) In a good way, of course! :greenthumb:

DSC_0131.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG

• Upvote 4

The genus Phoenix is one of Kris' favorites and I had the honor of planting a Phoenix hybrid during our visit. Kris had already dug the hole so there was no heavy labor involved! :mrlooney: Good luck with this palm, Kris! I am sure it will do well! :greenthumb:

And again, Kris, thank you so very much! :) This was very special. :)

DSC_0136.JPG

DSC_0138.JPG

DSC_0144.JPG

• Upvote 7

Wow what a nice thread. Very good to see Kris and his family and his lovely tropical palm garden.

Kris once send me a silver Coripha sp [utan ? ]seeds and I sent him the ''big fruit'' Butia eriospatha seeds. I think this also would only grow in the nearby altitude region with a more fresh climate ,that  Kris once told us about. BTW, Butia seeds are not easy to germinate. Kris, did you manage to grow a Butia in your hot climate ?

• Upvote 3

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

10 hours ago, Alberto said:

Wow what a nice thread. Very good to see Kris and his family and his lovely tropical palm garden.

Kris once send me a silver Coripha sp [utan ? ]seeds and I sent him the ''big fruit'' Butia eriospatha seeds. I think this also would only grow in the nearby altitude region with a more fresh climate ,that  Kris once told us about. BTW, Butia seeds are not easy to germinate. Kris, did you manage to grow a Butia in your hot climate ?

Thanks for your answer inbox. In fact the seeds were of the rare Corypha macropoda. The seedlings I donated to a palm friend who have a nursery in Bahia - Northeast Brazil. Thanks

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 1 year later...