IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis 'Big Baronii'

LJG

I am selling seed for the first time from an unknown Dypsis I call "Big Baronii". This is a unique palm I haven't seen in any other garden (not saying it doesn't exist, just haven't seen it). I dug it out of Gary Woods yard years ago and he got it from the IPS seed bank as D baronii. As you can see from the pics it is not a Baronii. It is a fat, suckering palm with grouped leaflets and no petiole. This palm handles full sun with ease and is green year round. Some of the suckering Dypsis like to yellow in winter sun.

$10.00/15 seed

$4.00 shipping (USA)

International shipping will need to be figured out once I get price. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Photos. 

B2428022-B90F-47B7-9F79-7BA734F5F1A1.jpeg

E6C4A879-0029-4D99-92D0-0E095A899C34.jpeg

886DD7BA-0C06-42D3-B41F-2EF16A72DA28.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

see my PM

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That is the prettiest suckering palm I have ever seen in person. Someone germinate that and sell me a couple seedlings as I don't have a GH.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

1 hour ago, Gtlevine said:

That is the prettiest suckering palm I have ever seen in person. Someone germinate that and sell me a couple seedlings as I don't have a GH.

Me too! :D

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

this palm is ridiculously bad ass!!!

seen it many times in person. Defiantly a show stopper Len.

The seed is viable, mine sprouted.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

All seed sent. Closing down orders as shipping is pain. Didn't know these would command so much interest. Thanks everyone who ordered it and good luck!

Josh-O is getting the rest... :)

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

2 hours ago, LJG said:

All seed sent. Closing down orders as shipping is pain. Didn't know these would command so much interest. Thanks everyone who ordered it and good luck!

Josh-O is getting the rest... :)

:wub:

Sunset zone 24

• 1 year later...

OK, how did I miss this the first time around ?  Can anyone spare a small plant ?  Len, any subsequent seed set?  Even though my garden is tiny,.. my palm lust is infinite !   :mrlooney:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

I sent Jeff Marcus seed and I think Josh got a small few to germinate. The seed was fresh, but it was not a heavy germinator. I think I sent out close to 10 packages of this to others. Hopefully someone comes back and let’s us know how it went. 

Darold, it didn’t flower last year. Hopefully this year it does. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

one of the most attractive forms of baronii's I've seen.

Sunset zone 24

I've found baronii in general to be hard to germinate, but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 years later...

I’m pretty sure this is my only “Big Baronii” even though I labeled it as “Big Ben.” Does this look similar to anyone else’s?

B115972D-F57E-4879-9901-3B8E78C00352.jpeg

70C1F60B-7175-4361-BC0E-9DF443C0E46D.jpeg

On 5/10/2021 at 3:57 PM, Matt in OC said:

I’m pretty sure this is my only “Big Baronii” even though I labeled it as “Big Ben.” Does this look similar to anyone else’s?

B115972D-F57E-4879-9901-3B8E78C00352.jpeg

70C1F60B-7175-4361-BC0E-9DF443C0E46D.jpeg

Care to get rid of one of those if you have another?!?? :yay:

Something interesting about this seed. It likes to germinate late. Last fall I had about 30 pop from this batch. I think Josh has had some germinate later too. So hold on to the seed if you still got it.

side note, I have some good sized bands for sale for $15. Get pics tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

7 hours ago, LJG said:

Something interesting about this seed. It likes to germinate late. Last fall I had about 30 pop from this batch. I think Josh has had some germinate later too. So hold on to the seed if you still got it.

side note, I have some good sized bands for sale for $15. Get pics tomorrow. 

How cold hardy are these? Do you have any idea?  I'm from the extreme southern tip of Texas and wanted to try one.  Do you ship?

Edited by Reyes Vargas

6 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

How cold hardy are these? Do you have any idea?  I'm from the extreme southern tip of Texas and wanted to try one.  Do you ship?

I have no idea. Mine saw 33 a few with no damage. but 32 and lower is a whole different animal. I can ship, just need to see if I have any left after going through all the PMs and text.

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I have 16 plants at 3 leaf seedling size. The smallest is this one attached to give idea. I also have 8 smaller ones just putting out second leaf. These are somewhat slow, but put out a big root system early. The rest I am growing up for myself. 

All, let me get through all the PMs and text to see what I have left. 

IMG_9642.jpeg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Sold out of the 16 3-leafers. I still have a few 2 leaf seedlings for $10 if interested.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

All sold out. Thanks everyone. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

The seedlings arrived today, in excellent condition.  Thanks again, Len !  :greenthumb:

San Francisco, California

Awesome. Keep me posted. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 6 months later...

Well…it’s been about 6 months since I got my little baby from @LJG so thought I’d post an update. Super slow but still trucking along. It’s been outside in indirect sunlight for 3-4 months now. Trying not to kill it with kindness and get it used to ambient conditions here in Huntington Beach,CA. No greenhouse for this one! 
Would be good to see anyone else that acquired theirs at the same batch (or even before) that would like to post pictures also.  

-dale

03E204E0-1695-4DE2-89B8-CB69C3B8DC83.jpeg

EFCA0961-BD0E-4107-A4A4-556F922719F3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Man I have been away for a while. Wish I had stumbled across this deal sooner! That's an awesome looking palm! 

8 hours ago, Moose said:

Not the 'black stem' cultivar?

Supposedly not. I’m banking on the fact that @LJG is correct in identifying. I think it’s a pretty good bet. :floor2:

It def seems slow tho. Not used to growing a seedling. 

-dale

Yeah these are slow ive got a few from Len . Seem to do great . Not a very fussy dypsis at all. Which is nice . I got mine in square liner pots they got put in 1 gallon when they arrived . Looking forward to these . Much better looking then standard baronii . Never have cared for standard baronii . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Yeah these are slow ive got a few from Len . Seem to do great . Not a very fussy dypsis at all. Which is nice . I got mine in square liner pots they got put in 1 gallon when they arrived . Looking forward to these . Much better looking then standard baronii . Never have cared for standard baronii . 

Really?!? I don’t know a lot of palm enthusiasts that don’t care for Baronii. I’m a huge fan all Dypsis. Heteromorpha and anything Hybrid are up there. I’m looking forward to this Big Baronii too. Gonna be epic I think. 

-dale

• 3 months later...

Welp….time for another update. It’s been 1yr since purchase and we’re still trucking along. Seems to have fattened up a bit but difficult to tell in the pictures. Definitely still a slow guy but I have noticed it’s speeding up. Still haven’t put it in any greenhouse and it pushed thru “Winter” here in HB. Typical color changing Baronii. Nearly all the red is gone but notice some speckling I don’t have on my standard Baronii so that’s cool. Please post pictures if you got em! 

-dale

image.thumb.jpg.f4c2f62af77fd7bf240ade2a4381714d.jpg

• Like 2