IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The best 9b (FL) palms?

Missi

Since Irma cleared out my lot a bit, I'm ready to start collecting palms I can plant out on my property (this coming spring). Since I get rare freezes, and definitely at least light frosts, each winter, I'm playing it safe saying 9b.

For an idea of how light my usual frosts go, the past 2 winters since they been in-ground, there was no damage to my planting of Hyophorbe lagenicaulis. I can have freezes that fry everything, though. I've had 2 or 3 of those in the 10 years I've been on our property (the first 2 or 3 winters) which was before I really got into plants/gardening. I am willing to cover/protect what I can while young, though. I've got a nice rainbow euc that's been chugging along for the past 5 or so years (until Irma came along and snapped it in 2 - but it's making a comeback).

So please, let me hear your suggestions for interesting, unusual, or just plain neat landscape palms and planting ideas for FL 9b.

Note: Depending on price and availability location, I'm not really willing to purchase anything larger than, say , 7 gallon so Id prefer suggestions not to be anything deathly slow growing.

(In my in-ground/soon to be in-ground collection I already have Copernicia baileyana, C. fallaensis - albeit tiny seedlings, Pseudophoenix sargentii, Bismarckia, Sabal mauritiiformis, Syagrus schizophylla, Dypsis cabadae, Dypsis decaryi, Dypsis leptocheilos, some kind of Attalea, Chamaedorea tepejilote, Rhapis excelsa, Rhapis multifida, Howea forsteriana, Ptychosperma macarthurii, Ptychosperma elegans, Phoenix canariensis, Roystonea regia, Arenga engleri, some kind of Caryota, and of course Sabal palmetto and Serenoa repens galore.)

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

When I was living in the Orlando area, I found that I could do a lot with Livistonas. I liked the Australian varieties a lot better than the SE Asian ones.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Just a few ideas...

Beccariophoenix alfredii (any would work fine though)

Arenga pinatta 

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Chambeyronia macrocarpa

• Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Here is a few;

Acrocomia aculeata

Acrocomia crispa

Acrocomia totai

Allagoptera arenaria

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

Archontophoenix myloensis

Areca triandra

Arenga caudata

Arenga engleri

Attalea cohune

Attalea rostrata

Bactris mexicana

Beccariophoenix alfredii

Bismarckia nobilis

Borassus aethiopum

Brahea aculeata

Brahea clara

Butia paraguayensis

Butia yatay

Butyagrus nabonnandii

Calamus caryotoides

Calamus erectus

Calamus latifolius

Caryota obtusa

Caryota ochlandra

Chamaedorea hooperiana

Chamaedorea microspadix

Chamaedorea stolonifera

Chuniophoenix hainanensis

Clinostigma savoryanum

Coccothrinax argentata

Coccothrinax crinita

Copernicia alba

Copernicia baileyana

Copernicia fallaensis

Copernicia macroglossa

Copernicia prunifera

Dypsis decaryi

Dypsis madagascariensis (Mahajanga form)

Dypsis pembana

Euterpe edulis

Gaussia maya

Geonoma schottiana

Howea forsteriana

Hyphaene coriacea

Kerriodoxa elegans

Laccospadix australasicus

Leucothrinax morrissii

Licuala peltata

Licuala peltata var. sumawongii

Licuala ramsayi

Licuala spinosa

Livistona decora

Livistona nitida

Livistona jenkinsiana

Livistona saribus

Normanbya normanbyii

Phoenix lourieroi

Phoenix pusilla

Phoenix rupicola

Pinanga coronata

Pritchardia hillebrandii

Ravenea glauca

Ravenea hildebrandtii

Ravenea rivularis

Rhapis humilis

Rhapis multifida

Sabal bermudana

Sabal domingensis

Sabal maritima

Syagrus amara

Syagrus coronata

Syagrus weddellianum

Tahina spectabilis

Wallichia oblongifolia (densiflora)

Wodyetia bifuracta

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

13 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

When I was living in the Orlando area, I found that I could do a lot with Livistonas. I liked the Australian varieties a lot better than the SE Asian ones.

This reminds me! I forgot a few palms on my list! I already have two L. decipiens, one L. saribus, and one L. chinensis (I think - I snagged it as a tiny strap leaf seedling at Fairchild several years ago, was told it is chinensis when posted pics in a palm Facebook group a couple years ago).

I also have a Coccothrinax argentata that I left off my list.

11 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Just a few ideas...

Beccariophoenix alfredii (any would work fine though)

Arenga pinatta 

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Chambeyronia macrocarpa

I had previously never heard of Arenga Pinnata! That's a pretty darn cool palm! Do you grow it?

3 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Here is a few;

Acrocomia aculeata

Acrocomia crispa

Acrocomia totai

Allagoptera arenaria

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

Archontophoenix myloensis

Areca triandra

Arenga caudata

Arenga engleri

Attalea cohune

Attalea rostrata

Bactris mexicana

Beccariophoenix alfredii

Bismarckia nobilis

Borassus aethiopum

Brahea aculeata

Brahea clara

Butia paraguayensis

Butia yatay

Butyagrus nabonnandii

Calamus caryotoides

Calamus erectus

Calamus latifolius

Caryota obtusa

Caryota ochlandra

Chamaedorea hooperiana

Chamaedorea microspadix

Chamaedorea stolonifera

Chuniophoenix hainanensis

Clinostigma savoryanum

Coccothrinax argentata

Coccothrinax crinita

Copernicia alba

Copernicia baileyana

Copernicia fallaensis

Copernicia macroglossa

Copernicia prunifera

Dypsis decaryi

Dypsis madagascariensis (Mahajanga form)

Dypsis pembana

Euterpe edulis

Gaussia maya

Geonoma schottiana

Howea forsteriana

Hyphaene coriacea

Kerriodoxa elegans

Laccospadix australasicus

Leucothrinax morrissii

Licuala peltata

Licuala peltata var. sumawongii

Licuala ramsayi

Licuala spinosa

Livistona decora

Livistona nitida

Livistona jenkinsiana

Livistona saribus

Normanbya normanbyii

Phoenix lourieroi

Phoenix pusilla

Phoenix rupicola

Pinanga coronata

Pritchardia hillebrandii

Ravenea glauca

Ravenea hildebrandtii

Ravenea rivularis

Rhapis humilis

Rhapis multifida

Sabal bermudana

Sabal domingensis

Sabal maritima

Syagrus amara

Syagrus coronata

Syagrus weddellianum

Tahina spectabilis

Wallichia oblongifolia (densiflora)

Wodyetia bifuracta

Thank you! I will be doing some research! :interesting: Which are your favorites?

C. fallaensis is 9b hardy?  That would be the best news I've heard all week if it were possible find any without driving to FL. Next please tell me that Corypha spp. are 9b hardy as well. 

P.S. Thanks for the list Eric. 

Edited by topwater

lots of palms are possible but if you have limited space and still want some physically impressive palms, choices will have to be made.  Many of us start out with what is easy to get and later see something we would rather have.  If you are planning a garden look at the tiers to see how you might have overhead, medium height, and lower level plantings.  Roystonea regia is 9B once established and it will grow tall enough not to bother other palms by abrasion with leaves/petioles.  Dypsis pembana grows readily and gets a tier lower.  IF you go crownshaft, roystonea, D. Pembana, kentiopsis O are relatively low maintenance and are beautiful.  Tribears also look like they go 9B, mine took 28F a few times without a spear pull.  I also have achrontophoenix maxima, alexandre, myolensis, chambyeronia macrocarpa.  the archies burn more easily than royals and are probably 10a but you can grow them once you have a little windbreak and overhead.  Fan palms include copernicia bailey(mine is 12' tall after 6 years from a 7 gallon), fallaense if you can find one and have room, bismarckia if you have room, livistona decora(best looking 9b Livistona IMO).  mule palms if you like then and have room.  Bottom line is that early choices for size/speed may reduce later choices.   For example if I went hog wild on livistona species( I have 2 species, 3 palms) maybe that means I dont have room for copernicia baileyana, and that would be a mistake IMO.  

• Upvote 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

@Eric in Orlando and @GottmitAlex definitely win the awards for the most complete lists. :)

My personal space here does not contain a bunch of exotic species, but some of my favorites in my supposed '9b' are:

• Bismarckia Nobilis (the blue forms) - I like the blue color.
  • Archontophoenix Alexandrae - Mine grows in partial shade under a large avocado tree
  • Phoenix Roebelenii  - common but fun to hybridize I hear
  • Coconuts - I have Green Malayan Dwarf, Jamaican Tall, and Maypan.  The talls and the maypan are from Calusa Palms Nursery, LLC
  • Roystonea Regia - Survived the Jan. 2010 freeze here, overall wonderful palm, previously mentioned as a great crownshaft palm and rightfully so

The coconuts are the only ones I protect from cold, and that is typically between 3 and 12 times per winter.  The rest of my palms and other plants are hardier than 9b.  My property is half covered by high canopy and surrounded on the north and east sides by shrubs that form a windbreak to 10-15 feet.  Most of the tender plants are in very well protected spots.

@sonoranfans mentioned the Livistona species, and we have a bunch near Lake Hollingsworth.  My personal favorite is livistona chinensis, which you already have. 

Depending on your particular 9b, you might be able to squeeze out some "those shouldn't grow here" palms in your yard, especially if you can prevent frost.  You are a lot further south than me, Eric, RedRabbit, or sonoranfans, so you may be able to set up your property to minimize or eliminate frost.  Leu Gardens is a good example of how high overhead canopy, a large body of water, and an urban heat island effect can create a perfect storm of sorts for protecting palms from damage in an area where they might not otherwise make it.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

12 hours ago, Missi said:

I had previously never heard of Arenga Pinnata! That's a pretty darn cool palm! Do you grow it?

Well, I don't have the space for an Arenga pinnnata. If I had a bigger yard I'd definitely grow one, but the lot size is just too small.

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

19 hours ago, topwater said:

C. fallaensis is 9b hardy?  That would be the best news I've heard all week if it were possible find any without driving to FL. Next please tell me that Corypha spp. are 9b hardy as well. 

P.S. Thanks for the list Eric. 

@TexasColdHardyPalms has a ton of seedlings for sale. He ships.

And we'll see about Corypha! LOL My buddy @John hovancsek picked one up for me at the Searle 'Ganza. John's plants are protected by swamp gas from the Everglades. My property, not so much :wacko: I shall protect it for as long as I can, though! There are are couple older Corypha in Naples, but they're quite a bit closer to the coast than me (I'm 11 miles inland).

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

lots of palms are possible but if you have limited space and still want some physically impressive palms, choices will have to be made.  Many of us start out with what is easy to get and later see something we would rather have.  If you are planning a garden look at the tiers to see how you might have overhead, medium height, and lower level plantings.  Roystonea regia is 9B once established and it will grow tall enough not to bother other palms by abrasion with leaves/petioles.  Dypsis pembana grows readily and gets a tier lower.  IF you go crownshaft, roystonea, D. Pembana, kentiopsis O are relatively low maintenance and are beautiful.  Tribears also look like they go 9B, mine took 28F a few times without a spear pull.  I also have achrontophoenix maxima, alexandre, myolensis, chambyeronia macrocarpa.  the archies burn more easily than royals and are probably 10a but you can grow them once you have a little windbreak and overhead.  Fan palms include copernicia bailey(mine is 12' tall after 6 years from a 7 gallon), fallaense if you can find one and have room, bismarckia if you have room, livistona decora(best looking 9b Livistona IMO).  mule palms if you like then and have room.  Bottom line is that early choices for size/speed may reduce later choices.   For example if I went hog wild on livistona species( I have 2 species, 3 palms) maybe that means I dont have room for copernicia baileyana, and that would be a mistake IMO.  

D. pembana is definitely on my wish list! Love the "bamboo" look of the stems! I should get some Tribears! I love both decaryi and lepto! I haven't seen any available, but I haven't actively looked. I have lots of room for large palms. Already have 2 happy little baileys in-ground. :wub: And two L. decora! Just poking along...

14 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Eric in Orlando and @GottmitAlex definitely win the awards for the most complete lists. :)

My personal space here does not contain a bunch of exotic species, but some of my favorites in my supposed '9b' are:

• Bismarckia Nobilis (the blue forms) - I like the blue color.
  • Archontophoenix Alexandrae - Mine grows in partial shade under a large avocado tree
  • Phoenix Roebelenii  - common but fun to hybridize I hear
  • Coconuts - I have Green Malayan Dwarf, Jamaican Tall, and Maypan.  The talls and the maypan are from Calusa Palms Nursery, LLC
  • Roystonea Regia - Survived the Jan. 2010 freeze here, overall wonderful palm, previously mentioned as a great crownshaft palm and rightfully so

The coconuts are the only ones I protect from cold, and that is typically between 3 and 12 times per winter.  The rest of my palms and other plants are hardier than 9b.  My property is half covered by high canopy and surrounded on the north and east sides by shrubs that form a windbreak to 10-15 feet.  Most of the tender plants are in very well protected spots.

@sonoranfans mentioned the Livistona species, and we have a bunch near Lake Hollingsworth.  My personal favorite is livistona chinensis, which you already have. 

Depending on your particular 9b, you might be able to squeeze out some "those shouldn't grow here" palms in your yard, especially if you can prevent frost.  You are a lot further south than me, Eric, RedRabbit, or sonoranfans, so you may be able to set up your property to minimize or eliminate frost.  Leu Gardens is a good example of how high overhead canopy, a large body of water, and an urban heat island effect can create a perfect storm of sorts for protecting palms from damage in an area where they might not otherwise make it.

I love to try "those shouldn't grow here" palms :innocent: I need some bullet-proof beauties too, though! Thank you for your input!

I do have a trio of P. roebelenii right in front of the house, that came with the property, but those are going to be going byebye soon. I'm not a fan of the species and their long narrow thorns are an annoyance. I don't mind short, wide spikes (C. baileyana, L. saribus), but the long narrow thorns break off in my skin creating deep splinters. 

Forgot to mention that I also have one Satakentia liukiuensis. 

• Upvote 2

Good list so far by some of our great members. I think I'd just add Pritchardia beccariana, since I've seen you talk about how you like P. pacifica in the past. I've had very good luck with mine.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Coconuts will of course be hardy in Naples.  If you could find Copernicia gigas, it would be a fine accompaniment to the other two Cuban giants.  I've got a C. baileyana started in what should be a permanent home in Fort Pierce and am looking to place another baby there or at another location where it can outlive me.  These palms make charismatic youngsters.  

The various Chamaedorea species are wonderful for shade, and take up little space.  Searle Brothers always have a good selection at their sales.  

Lytocaryum weddellianum (now Syagrus) is thriving in my yard.  It was a popular parlor palm, long ago.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

20 hours ago, Zeeth said:

Good list so far by some of our great members. I think I'd just add Pritchardia beccariana, since I've seen you talk about how you like P. pacifica in the past. I've had very good luck with mine.

AH! Thank for for the suggestion! Just looked it up and I love it! It is beautiful! That's awesome to hear you've had good luck with yours. Now. Where to find a couple...

16 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

Coconuts will of course be hardy in Naples.  If you could find Copernicia gigas, it would be a fine accompaniment to the other two Cuban giants.  I've got a C. baileyana started in what should be a permanent home in Fort Pierce and am looking to place another baby there or at another location where it can outlive me.  These palms make charismatic youngsters.  

The various Chamaedorea species are wonderful for shade, and take up little space.  Searle Brothers always have a good selection at their sales.  

Lytocaryum weddellianum (now Syagrus) is thriving in my yard.  It was a popular parlor palm, long ago.

Copernicia gigas and hospita are on my wishlist. Just having troubles finding them :wacko: I've had my eye on weddellianum for a while. I hadn't considered getting it to plant in the ground! Now I shall!

Hello there,

since I am considering Okinawa`s climate similar to Florida - while Miyako and the other more southern 

islands are probably closer to Key West (we have never seen any freezes down here) - @Eric in Orlando`s list is a treasure.

I am always looking for something new (and if possible storm proof) to be grown here, so thank you very much! 

best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 2