IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pindo Palm Questions

lesi123

Hello all! I'm pretty new to growing palms and had a few questions regarding a new Pindo palm I recently got. I've seen a few posts about multi trunk palms and when I was at my nursery I saw one Pindo that was smaller, more silver leafed, and with three trunks growing from the pot. I wanted to get a Pindo mainly for the fruit so I though three trunks would be a bonus if each one developed a fruit bunch. However, after I got it I realized I wasn't sure if there was any special care that needs to be taken with multi trunk palms and the nurseryman wasn't sure himself. Does it need extra fertilizer? Does it grow slower than a single trunk palm? Is it more or less wind resistant since it has a bigger canopy? I'm open to any advice regarding this new addition to my plant family!

palm1.jpeg

palm2.jpeg

• Upvote 2

That is almost certainly 3 separate palms planted together , in the same way that has become extremely popular with

Pygmy date palms , these days .

You might be able to carefully separate them.    I have done that with plams in the past , but these are well along.

Good clean knives , use alcohol , and fungicide  and patience....

In fact , I have not seen a single plant Pygmy Date Palm for sale recently at all . ( I prefer them as Nature intended , as 

individual palms .)

Well, I can't knock that I got three palms for the price of one. Would it be okay if they were planted together as they are now or would it be too damaging in the long term? 

Edited by lesi123

they will grow away from each other in time, they will be fine.  These palms are not really wide in maturity unless you got a jubaea cross(doesnt look like it).  Dont water too frequently and make sure drainage is good as these palms dont like constantly wet roots, they are from south american savannahs.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

That's good to hear! I really like the look of clustered palms but that's just my visual preference. I have loamy soil but intend to plant it on a small mound to help with drainage anyways. Thank you for the help, much appreciated!

Thats most likely three palms from the same seed. Triple embryos are not uncommon and some growers split them when they pot them up and some dont.  Quadruples are rare from one seed. 

I’ve seen triples grow well together, sometimes the larger one can outcompete the smaller ones and stunt their growth so it’s a good idea to fertilize regularly.  

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.