IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms Persevere in PR

Cindy Adair

As you all know, Hurricane Irma in early September left damage and no power or water at my farm for 5 days, but I still had internet and phone service and it was far less than predicted. We in mainland PR breathed a sigh of relief and felt so much sympathy (we still do) for our smaller islands of Culebra and Vieques and so many other Caribbean islands. As Florida got nailed I saw the photos here on PT and elsewhere and grieved for all of you who met up with Irma.

I unpacked all my potted plants and relaxed. For a couple of days.

Then Maria headed for a visit and this time no last minute reprieves. Hurricane supplies in PR had been depleted already by Irma preparations so all D batteries and generators and such were long gone.

I did manage to get a full tank of gas and a bit of extra water but I started out less well stocked than I had been prior to Irma. The idea of moving all my plants (that I had just moved back out) back in held no appeal but I knew it must be done.

On to the photos, starting with some "before hurricane season" shots.

IMG_1439.jpg

DSCN5200.jpg

DSCN5208.jpg

IMG_0125.JPG

DSCN6975.JPG

DSCN7011.JPG

• Upvote 12

Cindy Adair

These are actually some of my "before Irma" photos posted earlier as I took no new ones of the very same procedure. It takes 2.5 full days to load everything apparently so good thing most hurricanes allow that much lead time.

DSCN6983.jpg

DSCN6984.jpg

DSCN6985.jpg

DSCN6989.jpg

DSCN7000.jpg

DSCN7005.jpg

• Upvote 9

Cindy Adair

This time I am including photos of my cistern with non potable water. Sadly it ultimately leaked and lasted with weak flow to downstairs only (gravity) so was gone in 6 days and did not allow for showers. The 2 little less than $10 landscape lights continue to be amazingly useful! A friend suggested I take the AA battery out of one at bedtime (no off switch) so when I awaken predawn I pop the battery back in and have a nice light for getting around. Every morning I take both outside for a sun recharge and they are strong enough to read well at night. Everyone should have one in a disaster kit.

I have a bigger version twice as strong in my checked bag at this moment as well as a big pack of D batteries to share upon my return.

Sorry, as you all know I am long winded, but there will be more palm photos applicable to my topic title! Also I am at an airport now so when it's time to board I will abruptly stop.

However as I have a few more days before returning to my farm I fully intend to finish before I go dark again indefinitely.

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

DSCN7012.JPG

DSCN7013.JPG

DSCN7014.JPG

• Upvote 4

Cindy Adair

Cindy,

Until now "before Irma" pics are ok, but I am afraid you'll show us worst pictures in the next posts and I really understand the stress it can be.
I wish you all the best and hope things and gardens are going back to normal soon.

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

So glad that you are safe and the house survived. Those little el cheapo solar spotlights are great...I have them along the driveway so I can reverse out at night. (the worst of having a 35 metre driveway and a 5 metre reversing skill)

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

OK the electricity, water and phone/internet disappeared the evening of Sept 20 as it began to rain. As things got more ominous I moved my compressed kitchen table from its normal position here (of course the orchids on their "suitcases" and the mess is not the norm...)

DSCN7035.thumb.jpg.2c85486a24e675a3d3545

into my safest interior windowless spot where I was determined to have a pleasant last fresh produce dinner over palm book perusal. It was pitch black and getting louder outside but the flash gives a false impression.

DSCN7047.thumb.jpg.4306eabf2c7a5a3ca62de

Below became the only fairly dry spot (except the shower stall) as water entered on the second floor through every tiny space around windows and door frames. Both my heavy wooden doors are etched and damaged on the outside, but did the job that night.  This looks peaceful but prior I was grabbing every blanket and comforter and towel as it was flooding the other rooms. I finally just had to close the doors and sequester as I could not deal with the water intrusion as quickly as more rain entered. This was not ground water and on the second floor at 1000 feet elevation I knew I would not be flooded like Florida or Texas. I did not know water would run down the interior walls and cover my (happily tile) floors. I had been warned to take pictures off walls even if far from doors or windows. I did not understand but am glad I did as they would have been soaked as was everything under my bed. It was many hours into the hurricane by now and with days of plant moving I napped a little on my pallet below. Then the shaking of the house began with water in bottles moving in waves. But my roof held. Some 1/2 hour of near silence which seemed like an eye. Still dark and I had been told Maria would last many more hours so I had no intention of leaving my interior space. I heard Oct 10 when I reached the States that the eye was north of me. Maybe or maybe it was a very wide eye because it sure seemed like it. Oh and the reports of wind speeds below cat 5 at that point may be for lower elevation as I can not imagine stronger wind force. Back to the story.

DSCN7037.jpg

• Upvote 8

Cindy Adair

Palms Persevere ...

I love the positive way you persevere, just wonder how I could help ?

• Upvote 1

Philippe

Here are three more shots taken during the hurricane. I had moved my bed far from windows and planned to sleep there. However as you see here I realized quickly the bedding was getting soaked so I grabbed a less treasured comforter and lots of towels. Again complete darkness, not the bright light you see here. I am looking at these photos for the first time this minute (at another airport gate) as my laptop and camera batteries were gone until I could recharge here. I'll bet the orchids loved the rain and humidity!

DSCN7039.jpg

DSCN7040.jpg

DSCN7045.jpg

• Upvote 4

Cindy Adair

OK, finally finally the very long storm seemed to pass and I dragged the soggy blankets onto my balcony

DSCN7096.thumb.jpg.d6ad6dda6e2deb8b0d54a

to get my first look at my new view.

DSCN7048.jpg

DSCN7050.jpg

DSCN7053.JPG

Note the tan paint stripped off to show the old color underneath. Yes more landslides...

DSCN7071.jpg

• Upvote 7

Cindy Adair

to get my first look at my new view....

OMG, it reminds me the day after the tsunami in Sri Lanka ...  (as a stress and in the scale, not in the details )
But, since you are positive, let's see the situation in a good way: 
I know that tropical 
plants grow very fast if they're not killed, hopefully many will recover and give you bright fresh green very soon.

Philippe

Cindy so glad to hear from you.

That bleak landscape will regrow but it must have been a grave sorrow to see.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Amazing Cindy. So very happy to hear from you and half-begrudgingly look to see more post pictures. Glad it sounds like your spirits are holding.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Cindy, so glad to hear you are OK, that the house provided safe refuge and wasn't horribly damaged.  The garden will recover, and the gardener will have a big hand in how that happens.  Hopefully some of your small plants will thrive with the added sunlight.  It sure looks like a lot of work to do though.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Glad to hear you survived intact and that you are safe in spite of the disaster. Also glad the construction of your home weathered the hurricane and eliminates the need to start from 'scratch.'

Your detailed description is food for thought for us here in Hawai' i, as it's only a matter of time before we might have to live through something similar. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hi Cindy, it is so great to see your post -- except those photos of the damage! Ouch! What a thrashing your garden had, an absolute thrashing. But now the worst is behind you now. What lies ahead is a future garden, somewhat different from what was there before. I hope it will be a process you can enjoy, and knowing you, that's a sure thing.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Sorry, no time to follow up as I had planned now.

Just see that I saved many beloved palms and later I will show the royals and tree ferns regrowing leaves and my new paths. I have planted 51 plants post Maria!

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

• Upvote 8

Cindy Adair

Cindy, so glad to hear you are safe and your home isn't badly damaged.  You will have new opportunities in the garden, and you will be so surprised at how resilient plants really are.  I hope you find enjoyment in the journey to come.  Happy to have you back on here!

1 hour ago, Cindy Adair said:

Sorry, no time to follow up as I had planned now.

IMG_0267.JPG

That's really cool! Is it water from the mountain? Does it always flow?

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

WOW! Planted 51 plants post Maria!! Cindy, YOU are my hero!!! :wub: (on a plantonic basis-lol)

I'm intrigued by the water pipe too...

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Cindy,

we were all following news from PR intensively while wishing you all the best -

now you are back and safe, thank`s God! 

We were hit here in Okinawa a few days after Irma by typhoon "Talim" but it is impressive to see,

how fast nature recovers. My damaged palms pushed new spears immediately - so, your 

place should bounce back in short time, too!

best regards -

Lars

• 3 weeks later...
On October 18, 2017 at 11:27:13 PM, palmfriend said:

Cindy,

we were all following news from PR intensively while wishing you all the best -

now you are back and safe, thank`s God! 

We were hit here in Okinawa a few days after Irma by typhoon "Talim" but it is impressive to see,

how fast nature recovers. My damaged palms pushed new spears immediately - so, your 

place should bounce back in short time, too!

best regards -

Lars

No news here except when I travel to wi fi so had not even heard of Talim! I certainly hope your recovery is swift!

Cindy Adair

I have given a friend a ride so only time for a brief update. Mostly good as some more surprising survival stories such as a new frond on both my Caryota zebrina and C. ophiopellis, both of whom weathered both hurricanes unprotected. 

I am dealing with (meaning ignoring for the moment) pests such as scale and spider mites plus sun burned leaves non of which were issues at all here pre hurricanes. Stress to plants and people as we readjust to new surroundings.

I had three days of city water last week and celebrated-prematurely as it is gone again.

My little generator is not working but I am hopeful it is in need of a new spark plug so to the store in a minute. It is under warranty but a six hour round trip to San Juan to wait in line behind all the other machines there first does not appeal. Plus the return trip when/if it is repaired. 

I got about 30 minutes of internet at my house this morning but then reverted to no service again. Such a tease!

OK, here are a string of photos, good and bad.

DSCN7176.thumb.jpg.47bdbb213732d48f27d6f

DSCN7177.thumb.jpg.4a63b19fac586c8d55df6

DSCN7181.thumb.jpg.d65a0de78e8752fbc07ea

DSCN7183.thumb.jpg.8d4b6541a12c62faabb22DSCN7185.thumb.jpg.20697d003f5b991a9c0a7DSCN7191.thumb.jpg.c418725e059bbe9ec94edDSCN7192.thumb.jpg.7467c940ef482985b1e91

DSCN7198.thumb.jpg.103c8c917a59f91e4ae22

DSCN7199.thumb.jpg.e2751cc39c66a4d23da64

• Upvote 5

Cindy Adair

My poor Calyptrocalyx pachystachys variegated full of scale. Horrors!

DSCN7188.thumb.jpg.985a2b25fd18c3386d760

DSCN7182.thumb.jpg.d6ab02163692401f5c601

Some seedlings doing just fine.

Here are some non palm views as well.

DSCN7135.thumb.jpg.4367743c6d16a46e720ab

DSCN7166.thumb.jpg.03396047976f77f983e14

DSCN7169.thumb.jpg.3a1d943fa37b513285a0e

DSCN7170.thumb.jpg.de5ce1957e888d63ae5af

Orchids are tough!

DSCN7134.jpg

DSCN7137.jpg

• Upvote 9

Cindy Adair

Very encouraging news! Here's hoping the water and internet will return for you soon, and that a little spark plug will solve your generator problem. Your photos look to report mostly good news, happily. 

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

You have certainly been tested - and have clearly passed with flying colors.

My 2 cents on the generator - something I have learned about small engines in humid tropical climates. Make sure you try fresh fuel (empty and use all new stuff). It is very easy to get water in it - both while in the tank, and just sitting in the gas can. I don't know about PR, but here in Hawaii we have ethanol in the gas, and this gas will absorb the water from the air. The problem got so bad with all the boats and small engines, they backed off and now ethanol-free gas is readily available. And since I have been using that, I have very few issues with my small engines - a night & day difference.

Before I learned what the problem was, I had constant problems and non-starting issues. And now if I have gas older than a couple of months, I'll just use it in the car and buy fresh. I would assume in PR, considering the circumstances, perhaps even just purchased gas from some locations may already have some water in it. I hear a fuel stabilizer will help with storage and in general.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Cindy, 

Nice to see you back here on Palmtalk :D
I understand the situation is still hard but did the tree-ferns already make all these new fronds ? It is a very good sign of resilience !

Regards

Philippe

Philippe

YEA! It's always a great day when we hear from Cindy!! :wub:

Oh those damn scale! They hit all my Joey palms HARD this dry season...and the dry season has only just begun (for me). You probably know systemic will do the trick (imidacloprid is what we use). It's just no fun taking a q-tip to all the left-on scale shields. They can sure suck a leaf dry in no-time-flat. I've also had mealies on my Pinangas :rant:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I'm glad you are okay. Some of those photos are heart breaking but I really enjoyed seeing all your little plants inside the house. It looked like a lush tropical rainforest indoors. Awesome!

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

It is great to read all your kind and helpful responses as I sit in decent wi fi only about 30 minutes from my farm. Thank you so very much!

As to my generator, Dean I really appreciate all of your advice. I do not know if the change to a low ethanol gas (now that it is available again here) made the difference, but the third spark plug is holding so far after making that change and those couple of hours of electricity each night is such a luxury!

Besides wi fi I came to town for supplies to build a little dolly to more easily roll my generator in and out, to provide security for it, but not die of carbon monoxide poisoning either.

Getting back to the palms, my little Calyptrocalyx with scale has responded beautifully so far to a good spraying and the better environmental conditions. I need a new photo.

It is raining every day for at least an hour with lots of mist as well and the plants are all flourishing.

Yesterday I planted a Dypsis psammophila, Copernicia ekmanii, Areca catechu alba, Wallichia densiflora, a second Ravenea sambiranensis and Carpoxylon macrospermum.

I will work on taking pictures and getting them posted, but so sorry for the very slow response time.

I am actually excited because now early and late if I stand on a certain step at my house facing a certain direction and am very very patient I can (sometimes) get emails to pop into my smartphone using my hotspot!

Replies to emails there are rarely possible and no luck with the laptop, but still, progress!

It is heartwarming to compare what I see outside my house, to the photos less than 2 weeks ago. It looks better and better even if some of the green is invasive vines!

I'll check back in when I can as I truly miss PT, but it is nearly dark here and travel with no street lights becomes a little more challenging, so I will go.

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair