IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing your soil - for all the beginners

DoomsDave

Please, everyone, keep the posts coming.

There are so many maestros out there who aren't saying anything.

Please say.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Fairchild tropical botanical gardens has an amazing variety of palms from around the world. How does a place of that size cope with their south Florida soil? Especially with the broad soil requirements of each and every palm? 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Stethoscope said:

Fairchild tropical botanical gardens has an amazing variety of palms from around the world. How does a place of that size cope with their south Florida soil? Especially with the broad soil requirements of each and every palm? 

Good question!!!

56 minutes ago, Stethoscope said:

I believe they dug out pits and filled with soil amendments. I can't remember if I read that here or in the IPS Facebook group. Also, they use a bunch of mulch and fertilizer.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Interesting to read what everyone deals with and how they've overcome the obstacles to grow healthy palms.

5 years ago my wife and I purchased an older home on a double lot with absolutely no landscaping and we thought it would be a 6 month project lol. When I say "absolutely none", I mean N. O. N. E., no trees, no grass, nothing. My wife thought I was crazy but all I saw was a blank canvas. Anyways, I soon found out why there were no plants. The house sits on a sand ridge, close to the coast. The soil had ZERO organics in it. If you watered, it wouldn't get past the surface, it would just run off. The good news is my septic drains like a champ, so I should be good there.

5 years down the road, tons of trial and error, learning (thank you forum members), truckload after truckload of topsoil and pine bark mulch, lots of Mycorrhizae, worms, and a healthy irrigation system and I've actually changed the local ecosystem. You can't dig without finding worms, a web of Mycorrhizae, and countless other critters. At this point, I feel safe to plant anything here that will survive our climate as I know the soil is up to the task.

I've learned, cussed, laughed, and spent many sore/sleepless nights but the rewards are so worth it and will last a lifetime.

• Upvote 6

Still too early to tell. But my case was the other way around: I replaced the native soil for pure sand in five (3'x3'x3') spots in the garden. Last year I had two coconut seedlings die due to root rot. I did add mycorrhizae to the roots of the then-newly planted coconut seedlings. Here again, it's probably too early to tell. But I already have four coconut seedlings/juvenile which went through last years complete and very wet (record rainfall I believe)winter season. 

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 hour ago, PalmWarbler said:

Interesting to read what everyone deals with and how they've overcome the obstacles to grow healthy palms.

5 years ago my wife and I purchased an older home on a double lot with absolutely no landscaping and we thought it would be a 6 month project lol. When I say "absolutely none", I mean N. O. N. E., no trees, no grass, nothing. My wife thought I was crazy but all I saw was a blank canvas. Anyways, I soon found out why there were no plants. The house sits on a sand ridge, close to the coast. The soil had ZERO organics in it. If you watered, it wouldn't get past the surface, it would just run off. The good news is my septic drains like a champ, so I should be good there.

5 years down the road, tons of trial and error, learning (thank you forum members), truckload after truckload of topsoil and pine bark mulch, lots of Mycorrhizae, worms, and a healthy irrigation system and I've actually changed the local ecosystem. You can't dig without finding worms, a web of Mycorrhizae, and countless other critters. At this point, I feel safe to plant anything here that will survive our climate as I know the soil is up to the task.

I've learned, cussed, laughed, and spent many sore/sleepless nights but the rewards are so worth it and will last a lifetime.

Keep adding organics. Anything you can find, old political fliers on paper, dead dogs, etc.

• Upvote 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

20 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Keep adding organics. Anything you can find, old political fliers on paper, dead dogs, etc.

Right on the money, DD. Road kill will add a lot of good stuff! Another thought, when I remove palms, some times I have them cut them off at soil level and let the roots rot and create, over time, a nice organic bio-mass in the area, and more earth worms, which just adds to my clay-loaminess soil. The breakdown may take a a few to several years and might suck up some nitrogen, but I have done this with three post-flowering Carlota Urens  and a single queen palm in my yard. Also saves on the cost of stump grinding or digging out the trunk!

• Upvote 5

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Unruly neighbors.... ;-)

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, PalmWarbler said:

That's incredible! You're not worried it might eventually all leach away?

My deceased chickens go in the compost pit :hmm: Back to the earth with you!

My dogs, however, will be cremated :innocent:

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Missi said:

That's incredible! You're not worried it might eventually all leach away?

So far, no. I'm not an expert but I believe the more organics you add, you wind up changing the soil composition over time. And with lots of time, it should trickle it's way down slowly into the deeper reaches. We mixed the imported topsoil with the native sand, rather than just dumping it on top so we've got organic matter down into the native sand for a good bit now. As the mulch continues to decompose, and we keep adding the compost my wife makes to just about every plant hole, I hope we will just keep getting better and deeper.

As of right now, I can't dig anywhere in my yard without finding worms. A worm could not survive in the yard when we moved here, so that's a good sign we're on the right track.

The best thing is I haven't found a sandspur in my yard in years. Anyone who lives in FL knows what those are!

You know what the best thing I've found about doing this to your yard? Your neighbors catch the bug when they see what can be done and they can't help but improve their yards too. So we've all got lots of new palms and shrubs. It's a win-win.

• Upvote 5

On 10/20/2017, 10:20:49, PalmWarbler said:

So far, no. I'm not an expert but I believe the more organics you add, you wind up changing the soil composition over time. And with lots of time, it should trickle it's way down slowly into the deeper reaches. We mixed the imported topsoil with the native sand, rather than just dumping it on top so we've got organic matter down into the native sand for a good bit now. As the mulch continues to decompose, and we keep adding the compost my wife makes to just about every plant hole, I hope we will just keep getting better and deeper.

As of right now, I can't dig anywhere in my yard without finding worms. A worm could not survive in the yard when we moved here, so that's a good sign we're on the right track.

The best thing is I haven't found a sandspur in my yard in years. Anyone who lives in FL knows what those are!

You know what the best thing I've found about doing this to your yard? Your neighbors catch the bug when they see what can be done and they can't help but improve their yards too. So we've all got lots of new palms and shrubs. It's a win-win.

:rant: sandspurs!!

Last week i was working in the backyard.

The area was filled last year with top soil,but not with organics, only in the plant holes.

But after read this and safe money i think this is a good time to work a litle bit.

This is the back yard

IMG-20171029-WA0021.thumb.jpg.ac346527d6

The organics, compost and cow manure. Smells like...

IMG-20171029-WA0022.thumb.jpg.54c41a1f7d

And of course,the tools. And yes, the beer is the most important tool.:floor:

IMG-20171029-WA0024.thumb.jpg.8022c10568

The area after fill it with the organics. 5 cm or 2 inches of compost.

IMG-20171029-WA0023.thumb.jpg.1e4cf263a7

One hour and 3 beers after, i have the topsoil mixed with the organics.

IMG-20171029-WA0025.thumb.jpg.22a53de4c0

And the last thing is the mulch.In this case, the cheapest option, Acacia leaves from a big tree near my garden.

IMG-20171029-WA0026.thumb.jpg.a3246b3088

Next year this spot will be ready to fill with lots of nice Dypsis.

Edited by Monòver
  • Upvote 4

Great work Antonio! Be sure to dampen the area too (Unless you have some rainfall to do that) This jump starts the bacterial process and also prevents wind blowing away your mulch!

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

30 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Great work Antonio! Be sure to dampen the area too (Unless you have some rainfall to do that) This jump starts the bacterial process and also prevents wind blowing away your mulch!

Yes, i know. I am waiting the rain. September, October and November are the rainy months here, but this year, the Summer drought is too long.

Forecast says Tuesday will be rainy, if not, i will light i big fire and i will be dancing naked around the fire.

• Upvote 2

So if you have Red Volanic Soil, sand should not be added.   Best to add bone meal in bottom of hole, then back fill with mixture of good soil and perlite?   They say thst  Gypsum is good to add, to break up the clay. 

Yet others say that red volcanic soil , even though , clay like, is good for plant's???

I live in pinellas county florida and have had to bring in alot of fill dirt in my backyard to level it off. I was not palm minded when I did this and could have done things differently but who is going to dig up and throw away 30 yards of dirt and refill? Hint...not me. I have since been turned on to tropical, exotic, and rare palms. Any plant or tree that I grow or purchase gets alot of research first because I so not like to just throw money away. What I do to amend my soil is organics but here are the details....I mix my own soil using coco coir, peat moss, perlite, pine bark mini nuggets, and cow manure. I experiment with the amounts and usually come out ahead. Any planting in my yard is amended with my mix and the results have been pleasing to this amateur, dont get me wrong though, I have killed my fair share of trees and plants. Bottom line though..... water, organics, ferts, and time.

• Upvote 2

thanks to all!

come on you maestros!

12 hours ago, Monòver said:

Last week i was working in the backyard.

The area was filled last year with top soil,but not with organics, only in the plant holes.

But after read this and safe money i think this is a good time to work a litle bit.

This is the back yard

IMG-20171029-WA0021.thumb.jpg.ac346527d6

The organics, compost and cow manure. Smells like...

IMG-20171029-WA0022.thumb.jpg.54c41a1f7d

And of course,the tools. And yes, the beer is the most important tool.:floor:

IMG-20171029-WA0024.thumb.jpg.8022c10568

The area after fill it with the organics. 5 cm or 2 inches of compost.

IMG-20171029-WA0023.thumb.jpg.1e4cf263a7

One hour and 3 beers after, i have the topsoil mixed with the organics.

IMG-20171029-WA0025.thumb.jpg.22a53de4c0

And the last thing is the mulch.In this case, the cheapest option, Acacia leaves from a big tree near my garden.

IMG-20171029-WA0026.thumb.jpg.a3246b3088

Next year this spot will be ready to fill with lots of nice Dypsis.

si si si

cervesa is the best tool of all

OLE!

(urk!)

• Upvote 3