IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The colorfull would of Dypsis

Bill Austin

I could guess some of them... but I don't wanna... I'm content to salivate as is...

:drool:

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ooo la la! You have such a colorful collection, Mr. Austin! And what you have posted is merely a tease -- much more to show off, and I hope you will.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Number one is D hovomantsina , two is D malcomberi from Jerry A and the one in the back D malcomberi from rare palm seed, three is another D malcomberi from Jerry A, four and five came in as D ovobontsira but but they had a metallic shine to the leaf so I don't know if this is what is being sold as D sp metallic . and last is another D marcom. from Jerry A.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the photos Bill. I hope I live long enough to see my D. malcomberi, which I got from you, resemble one of the photos above. 

Here are a few photos of D. robusta, amazing color and I've always got the urge to pet it.......it looks so much like an animal skin. Note the shovel for scale in the first photo.

I see Kim is putting her French skills to good use.

Tim 

P1020375.jpg

P1020376.jpg

P1020378.jpg

P1020379.jpg

• Upvote 11

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks Bill!

Hard to top, but

Teddy bears in La Habra, California, on a fine fall morning.

5EED2E02-32DA-4777-BB1A-04F756B61C80.thu

• Upvote 5

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Litlle bit of color on the D. carlsmithii, Starting to show less of it now, Not sure if age thing or weather related. 

aloha

IMG_0240.jpg

• Upvote 7

You guys are making me jealous! Tim, my robusta carked it, but before it went, it had some of that gorgeous 'animal skin'. Colin's D. carlsmithii is bold and magnificent. Someday I hope mine will provide such striking colors!  Dave, those are t-bears to be proud of.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

awesome thread!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

My Dypsis mananjarensis "Mealy Bug"

IMG_5654.JPG.7f636b4f2e26690c88f9fe60c50IMG_5657.JPG.106a2be93adfc47445ae9baff5b

and Dypsis oropedionis

IMG_5682.JPG.45d9336bf7c7784c967f99f05ceIMG_5680.JPG.3e324206ba4bd2152713e1b1692

• Upvote 8

Sunset zone 24

Quite the garden infrastructure Josh with a big Dypsis at every turn. 

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

4 hours ago, realarch said:

Quite the garden infrastructure Josh with a big Dypsis at every turn. 

Tim

Thanks Tim, It has been a labor of love :)

Sunset zone 24

More Dypsis 

the more colors the better 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Thanks Tim, It has been a labor of love :)

Man, I guess so......just amazing. I can only just imagine the effort involved. What passion can inspire. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Bill crazy good stuff mate....... as usual I am in extreme awe!!!! Josh extremely impressive as well :wub:

Bill I have a question...... is there any chance that this specimen 

IMG_1598.thumb.PNG.479feed778a472fd7e483

Is one and the same as this (pic taken 2 or 3 years ago)???

IMG_1599.thumb.PNG.51e2fe727875799b06a45

:drool::wub:

How about some FL Dypsis? We always see HI and CA Dypsis, but it seems like FL Dypsis are not as prevalent? Maybe there's a reason. I don't know much about Dypsis but I'm willing to learn!

I have a D. cabadae in ground and a few teddies in pots in the shadehouse.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Well, here's hoping this is one in the same palm as alluded to in Ben's post above. Although just recently planted, it just may be. 

Tim

P1020320.jpg

P1020321.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Couple more, these D. carlsmthii just look so robust as young plants. Can't wait for them to start trunking. 

Tim

P1010564.jpg

P1010565.jpg

• Upvote 5

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

20 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

All my dypsis are so small it wouldn't be right

But it wouldn't be wrong ;)

16 hours ago, realarch said:

Couple more, these D. carlsmthii just look so robust as young plants. Can't wait for them to start trunking. 

Tim

P1010564.jpg

P1010565.jpg

Look at the gecko! LOOK AT IT!!! I wish we had day geckos in FL :wub: We just have the bland tropical house geckos. I still adore them though.

I digress...

On 10/6/2017, 10:48:01, Bill Austin said:

Just some of them please add .IMG_2336.thumb.JPG.81a9a49f2e29cc1af38c4

Wait, so this is Dypsis hovomantsina?

Sorry for spamming this thread with individual comments. *facepalm*