IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I’ve got palms making soaring spaces

DoomsDave

As the sun sinks, the morale rises, as I gaze at my personal palmy cathedral 

Archontophoenix hybrid between king and Alex 

436E3677-31EA-4E1C-80E7-4F9E569FB8F5.thu

• Upvote 14

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I guess someone has to scrub the ceiling in Notre Dame

I won’t worry 

Archontophoenix tuckeri and Caryota ochlandra

0EE6E19C-5A35-407E-A289-A467BD690B25.thu

• Upvote 13

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

More tuckeri 

0F32F6A8-8D65-4F95-9BC6-071495757DD0.thu

• Upvote 14

Pritchardtia lanaiensis

AD1F1D51-5F0D-4089-9C8E-297C35D9A8D9.thu

• Upvote 12

Caryota expletive urens and A. tuckeri 

6AD46D7F-6A7B-4618-9524-2B639DA65634.thu

• Upvote 9

bending backwards 

now frontwards

Rhopalystylus baueri 

image.thumb.jpg.f037df85f110fb2432abea4c

• Upvote 12

And Ptychosperma elegans and s New Caledonian

image.jpg

• Upvote 12

Another of P lanaiensis 

7BA133F9-149B-4338-B0A2-37AAA0F797FD.thu

• Upvote 9

Better

2B6314CA-355B-4097-BD2B-D9A09D606C8C.thu

• Upvote 10

Last frond before lights out

7785CE09-AD79-46F8-AB9E-B80A122143D5.thu

• Upvote 10

Maybe second to last.

roystonea oleracea 

CF4ED8B9-A3BC-4335-A20D-60E2D32A5F0B.jpeg

• Upvote 8

I'd say your garden has matured magnificently! Looking good! Nothing like those overhead crowns to feel that true palmy vibe.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Beautiful Dave, I wish we could grow Archontophoenix that well here, I’d have then everywhere.  I don’t think they like hurricanes or frost very well.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

And morale rises again with rising sun

Teddy Bears 

5EED2E02-32DA-4777-BB1A-04F756B61C80.thu

• Upvote 10

Archontophoenix and Caryota 

501D231E-FA8A-4C55-9B57-A73AA0D7AC33.thu

• Upvote 3

Caryota urens 

2837BFDF-477B-44A1-B664-E3DCD3B2A030.thu

• Upvote 3

Ptychosperma and New Caledonian 

E4CBFC37-2C19-41B4-8846-A695C743E2C3.thu

• Upvote 7

And Butch the Roystonea looming over all

image.thumb.jpg.f02ccbdb3a0a79c9229f9ab7image.thumb.jpg.34af6a3afbac89756f684dea

• Upvote 8

12 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

Beautiful Dave, I wish we could grow Archontophoenix that well here, I’d have then everywhere.  I don’t think they like hurricanes or frost very well.

Thanks for the props!

The Archies would be a bit tender where you are, though they'll likely do better in storms than you might think. Habitat in Oz gets typhoons.

Soaring spaces indeed!  these kinds of soaring canopy spaces and their play of dappled light defy photography, but the shots are great!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

On 10/9/2017, 10:42:11, sonoranfans said:

Soaring spaces indeed!  these kinds of soaring canopy spaces and their play of dappled light defy photography, but the shots are great!

thanks so much!

Your palm look absolutely amazing.  I can't wait till I have that to come home to every day

12 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Your palm look absolutely amazing.  I can't wait till I have that to come home to every day

Thanks!

Get the right kinds and that will happen surprisingly fast. Most of what are pictured are abouut 10 years old.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, southpacific73 said:

Your palm garden is absolutely downright gorgeous. Keep the pics coming.:D

Thanks!

Come visit and take your own pictures . . . .

• Upvote 1

Here are two if mine, Rhopalostylis sapida x baueri and Ceroxylon quindiuense,  34 years from I-gallon pots. 

IMG_4815.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

• Upvote 7

San Francisco, California

Darold! Rock on!

• Upvote 1

If you even have half-assed canopy, show us.

Evening. Morning.

Any expletive time

Pastor Randy

Show us now, and later, after recovery! Or, better, before, now, and, later, after recovery.

8 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Here are two if mine, Rhopalostylis sapida x baueri and Ceroxylon quindiuense,  34 years from I-gallon pots. 

IMG_4815.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

More?

Screaming an aria way off-key . . .

Where ARE YOU?

Palm Talkers.

Do I have to name names?

We know you have glorious pictures, from Hawaii, Phillipines, Canaries, Portugual, Florida, Northern California, so many more

18 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

IMG_4815.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

Great picture!

Great thread and photos Dave and Darold. Here are a few from my Fallbrook garden.

Archontophoenix Maxima:

IMG_9804.thumb.JPG.55b11df76d832b9ab0a7c

Dypsis Sp Mayotte:

IMG_9810.thumb.JPG.1b8138535261914bcaf4c

backyard jungle of Chambeyronia and Archontophoenix:

IMG_9814.thumb.JPG.e030feed78dc6d5d53f77

Dypsis Pembana:

IMG_9822.thumb.JPG.6a71e7a73dde673b8e949

• Upvote 2

In September we moved from Fallbrook, Ca to Hilo, HI and we have some soaring canopy palms here in our Hilo yard. Archontophoenix Alexandrea are very common here on the Big Island. I imagine these at our home have been here for awhile!

a wall of trunks:

IMG_9361.thumb.JPG.f6a1fb0f7b01c414fac6f

With my daughter for scale:

IMG_9397.thumb.JPG.d5938996a27e144e0a40f

sunrise view

IMG_0041.thumb.JPG.f84b7e4d9038d3807e247

• Upvote 2