IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Invest 99 - Brevard County

IHB1979

We had an interesting Sunday, October 1st. Little Invest 99L was parked NE of the Melbourne, FL area out over the Atlantic. The tropical wave never developed but it did bring me 8-10" of rain in 24 hours. The issue was compounded because several weeks Irma dropped up to 15" of rain. The rain we had yesterday really had nowhere to go as the ground is still very saturated. I think the weather terminology is, "training", a complex of storms followed the same path from east to west the entire morning/day/night.

I have a coconut germination station inside my son's sandbox, when the water had rose high enough to clear the sides of the sandbox, the coconuts all floated away to different parts of my yard since they are buoyant. I think another several inches and I would have had water inside our screened in porch.

I understand this is nothing compared to what others are suffering through after the recent barrage of hurricanes but what I found interesting is that I find myself catastrophizing about powerful hurricanes and then a sneaker storm on a Sunday comes close to causing major damage.

I think the palms are going to love it.

Image from last night

IMG_4029.jpg

Image from this morning, you can see the water is receding.

IMG_4035.jpg

The water has receded.

IMG_4037.jpg

You can see the water line on the house, thank goodness we don't have a door in this area.

IMG_4038.jpg