IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

strange seedling without roots

Alcibiades

Today i found some germinated seeds in my bags. One of the jubaea chilensis x butia odorata F2 seedlings looks really strange.  The seedling had almost no visible root system and did only grew upwards.  I do not have experience with jubaea or butia odorata seeds.  I never saw similar growth with any other seedling i ever had.

20170928_153612_resized.jpg

• Upvote 1

That is odd - I've not seen that before either.  I'm guessing you don't know how many days of growth this represents?  Hope it continues to grow for you!

Jon

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

That is odd - I've not seen that before either.  I'm guessing you don't know how many days of growth this represents?  Hope it continues to grow for you!

Jon

It took the seeds about 15 months to germinate. Longest i have ever experienced.  I gave them up to be honest.  Didnt check that seed bag for at least 8 weeks.  The first leaf is already visible so i can just guess it should be 4-6 weeks old.  

This isnt too abnormal with butia or jubaea if the root grows up and out into open air and dries out. Put it in soil and it will begin to push new roots. The seed has enough energy to grow quite a large seedling. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/28/2017, 3:17:53, Alcibiades said:

It took the seeds about 15 months to germinate. Longest i have ever experienced.  I gave them up to be honest.  Didnt check that seed bag for at least 8 weeks.  The first leaf is already visible so i can just guess it should be 4-6 weeks old.  

Alcibiades,

How is your Jubaea x Butia F2 doing?  I had never seen that before and then a couple of months ago I had a Chamaedorea radicalis seed do the same thing.  I put it in soil, but it never grew any roots and shriveled up.  :(  Fortunately others germinated fine.

Jon

Jon Sunder

@Fusca

The first leaf is now fully developed. The leaf is very thin and long but maybe this is normal for jubaea hybrids? I´m still hoping the best. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 17.2.2018, 20:20:46, Jamesasb said:

oh wow did it grow roots?

Sry i missed your question. Yes it did grow roots and is now growing the third leaf. 

20180708_173651-756x1008.jpg

On 31.7.2018, 23:30:29, Alcibiades said:

Sry i missed your question. Yes it did grow roots and is now growing the third leaf. 

20180708_173651-756x1008.jpg

That is a really huuuuuuuge container! :huh:

My Jubaea was only in »normal« small pots with a soil containing 0% organic components …

5b65e18c3e373_Jubaea198081.thumb.jpg.cc5

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I have a similar situation with a J. altifrons seedling. This is one of four seedlings, and one of two that are only a quarter of the size of the remaining 2 which are a 'normal' size. It's almost dwarf-like, pushing a second leaf after the same period of time has elapsed for the larger ones to do the same. It's strange, since this is a palm noted for sending down a significant sinker root. I can only imagine it's due to the size of the seed.

20180804_185719.jpg