Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First Inflorescence of C.cataractarum in my Office!

4 posts in this topic

Just wanted to post some pictures of my Cham. cat. because it has never bloomed before and this is the largest palm I've ever had do so. (so far)  One popped last week, the other was open when I came in to work on Monday.

Is there a way I can better promote pollination?  I've kinda "simulated wind" with enough shaking to make them both dust each other up.  Any other suggestions?

qkQ71SWqkQ71SW.jpg

sNZruWM.jpg

wB2AP80.jpg

Very nice!  I believe the Chamaedorea palms are dioecious and yours looks like a male so unless you have another female palm you won't get seed.

Jon

Well, Crud

Yep.  You have a boy!    The trick is to get the female inflorescence and male inflorescence at the same time.   Often, the nursery trade plants so many in a single pot that you are bound to have both in one pot fairly often.  Last summer, before I moved to Florida, I had two large ones  and both shot up both male and female inflos at the same time.  I just bent the female stalk down to the male stalk (the male stalks are usually shorter) and shook it over the female inflo and boom, successful pollination.  I had developing seeds on it as of august when I gave it away.  those seeds are now likely mature. Ill have to check with my friend as he has it.  If its got seeds I am going to have him mail some to me.    Keep us posted!    How about a photo of the entire plant too?     

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• If you're cold, they're cold, bring them inside...
      By Funkthulhu
      Lots of rain last week, saw there was a potential for frost this week, so I spent Sunday afternoon bringing them in.  Washed pots and saucers, drained them all from being waterlogged all week, and topped up on soil for a couple.  Every year I tell myself there is no more room, and every year I end up with a couple more pots... 
      Library (only west-facing window)

Bedroom (north facing) 

Living room (north facing) 

Was quite blustery last night, had some brief sleet and more rain, so I guess I made the right choice.  Just looked at the weather again and we have a full on Freeze Warning tonight!  (Guess I better go over to my friend's house and dig up my Musa basjoo while I still can...)
    • Is this a Chamaedorea Elegans "Bella"?
      By RobustaEnvirons
      Hello everyone! Today while at a local department store I was browsing around the Garden section and I spotted a couple tiny little palms. I instantly thought "Could this be a Chamaedorea Elegans "Bella")? But, I wasn't sure and I'm still not entirely sure of what it is. Right then and there in the store I got on my phone and undertook a bit of "research" and looked up pictures of C. Elegans and compared them, I visited the growers website, scanned the UPC code, and etc. The specimens for sale don't provide any information on their sales tags as to what they are. The grower doesn't provide any real information on them either and only refers to them as "Foilage", which does me no good. Not in the least bit helpful. 
      I've been looking into buying Chamaedorea Elegans "Bella" for a little bit of time, so I was excited to possibly see them for sale so affordably. I ended up just going on what info I had and I bought each of the little palms for $2.99 a piece and picked up a 10" pot for $4.99 and proceeded home to pot them up. I asked some friends online and we weren't able to come upon a definite conclusion, but we're farely certain these could be Chamaedorea Elegans "Bella". I realize that this container is probably a little on the large side for both of these right now, but I don't want to have to worry about repotting them for a while. I potted them in Miracle Grow potting mix and I noticed its got Peat and Perlite mixed in. Its a rather standard mix you'll see in their products. I planted them both as a group, right next to each other so as to appear as one. 
      What does you guys think? Are these Chamaedorea Elegans "Bella", or another palm? What could they be if not C. Elegans?   

• Growing What You Already Ate
      By Funkthulhu
      Many of us likely have Pineapples, some of us have Avocados, and some of us have citrus trees or other weirdness.  
      Do you have any particular favorites grown from your food?  Or am I the only one who will save pits and seeds from my lunch?  
      Have any success stories?  HIlarious failures?
      Currently I have 6 Pineapples, an Avocado, a Cherimoya, Pomelo, Blood Orange, Meyers Lemon, and all of these grown from the grocery store in pots in Nebraska.  As of this weekend I can also add Jackfruit to that list!  How long do you think I can keep that alive?  This summer I'm going to try again for a Papaya; the last one lasted 18 months and got 4 feet tall.  I'm also going to see if I can sprout dragon fruit, mango, and whatever wonders are hiding in my local asian market.
    • The Spring Burn-off is Done, New Growth Incoming!
      By Funkthulhu
      So, I have put everything out on the balcony on and off (freeze warnings) for almost the last month.  But, we have had our first back to back 80F degree days (90 degrees actually) this weekend. 
      Of course, on one of the days earlier this week I was away from home and some of my previously indoor-only palms got full Nebraska sun for about 14 hours.  Everybody had plenty of water, but all of the newest leaves went silver in an afternoon.  Now they're not just down and brown, they're crispy, whispy and light tan at this point.
      But the like the Phoenix rising from the ashes...  I have a LOT of new growth!  This happens in some way every year, but it seems the burning off of the newest fronds kicks new spear-push into overdrive.  And they're all deep dark green monsters!  (though, to be pushing this rapidly, maybe it's not the burn but the first exposure outside a couple weeks ago?)
      What's your experience with the first big sun of the spring?
    • Chamaedorea Robusta?
      By sashaeffer
      Was at a nursery today and they had a couple palms marked "Chamaedorea Robusta"  The owner wasn't there to ask in the people on staff couldn't tell me anything about it and I don't see anything specific on the Internet when I Google it. Anyone here for that species?