IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm seedlings dying out.Advise needed.

Astrophoenix

Hellow everybody.

I have a few one-year-old chamaedorea woodsoniana and euterpe edulis seedlings.

They started out with vivid green leaves and were doing ok.

The summer was very hot and sunny so I kept them indoors in an always ventilated bright room.

At some point, I transplanted them in these styrofoam cups.

Before they were in just a bit smaller plastic cups.

The extra soil used was old dark topsoil containing a lot of organic matter, gathered under a mostly bay, pittosporum and viburnum dense hedge.

Although the soil looks dark and very rich in organic matter, coming as it does from the top couple of centimeters of the ground, I suspect that and the styrofoam cups 

may be the main culprits?

I watered them with a liquid solution of iron a week ago.

What should I do?

These photos are maybe two weeks old.

A couple of todays photos will follow shortly.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20170906_170015.jpg

IMG_20170906_170011.jpg

IMG_20170906_170005.jpg

IMG_20170906_170001.jpg

IMG_20170906_165955.jpg

IMG_20170906_165955.jpg

The leaflets get brown and dead in a matter of days.

The plants are watered regularly,every 2 or 3 days  and their soil is free draining, it contains mostly screened topsoil and screened river sand.

P1030916.JPG

P1030917.JPG

Yes, spidermites and too much water.

You must check under the leaves. You will see very small yellow-red bugs.

It is a common problem with indoor palms.

Muchas gracias amigo pero I have checked and there are no mites on the plants, even checked with a loupe.

So I guess too much water can be a factor.

I am sure the problem is spider mites in the Chamaedoreas. I have seen this hundreds times.

With Euterpes looks different and may be, is too much water.

In my opinion, water every 2-3 days is too much water for small seedlings in organic soil. You must water less, once a week or less.

• Upvote 1

I'm agree with the rest of the mates, there are spider mites. The way I used to confirm it's misting some water on the plants, that would make visible the small and delicate webs.

08053.gif

Oh thank you very much amigos.I guess it maybe spider mites after all.I must tell you thought that I searched and did not see any tiny creatures or webs.But maybe I was not very thorough.Thank you very much for the watering advice too,I guess I was overwatering them.Now should I spray them with something?

Is the soil heavy? If so the roots maybe suffering,a very light mix consisting of 50/50 coco coir and perlite ,for eg is needed.

The smaller the seedling the less organic matter ,I find a sterile mix works best for small seedlings 

Edited by palmad Merc
Spell check

Thank you very much, mate.The soil is not so heavy, it's quite sandy, but definitely a lot heavier than what you recommend

The smaller the seedling the less organic matter?I got that backward.I thought it was the other way around

They are definitely in heavier soil than that.So I guess my number one move is to water them more sparingly.

Thank you for chiming in..

5 hours ago, Monòver said:

I am sure the problem is spider mites in the Chamaedoreas. I have seen this hundreds times.

With Euterpes looks different and may be, is too much water.

In my opinion, water every 2-3 days is too much water for small seedlings in organic soil. You must water less, once a week or less.

Now you tell me!

• Upvote 1

Hey, long time no see Phoenikakias, please chime in, your 2 cents are always valuable.

These are high altitude Euterpe and may be cold hardy here so I would hate to lose them.

Have to agree with the spider mite attack. 2nd and 3rd picture in your first post are the definition of spider mite infestation. The timing is also right for mites, as the current temperature is around the optimal level for them to multiply. Discoloration and dried out leaves are rather the end result than a symptom, as the mites render the attacked leaves unable to photosynthesize and the seedling unable to feed itself leading to death.

At this stage of the seedlings you should act fast and spray immediately with a miticide, and be sure that you will use one which will kill the eggs of the mites too. If not possible to find one for both adults and eggs, then definitely buy 2 and combine them. If you kill only adult mites, you have only a week until you will have new adults feasting on your seedlings. Repeat treatment after a week and you will be safe, as colder temperatures will set in and stop mites from spreading. Be sure to spray thorougly the undersides of the leaves, as well as the surface of the soil in pots (mites tend to drop there to survive), and put them at some place to airdry, but not directly to sun.  

Another fact to consider is that mites will go for the youngest leaves of your seedlings and the first to be attacked will be those which are "stressed" by overwatering if there are some, so you should hold back a bit with watering to allow the seedlings to overcome the attack.

Thank you very much for the advice and info, I will try it out.I see you have experience with them.