IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cindy Adair is OK in Puerto Rico

Elvis Cruz

Dear Fellow Palm Talkers,

I received word from Cindy Adair that she survived Hurricane Maria and is doing fine in Puerto Rico.

She has no electric power, internet or phone connection, but she is upbeat and asked me to convey to the PalmTalk forum that she is OK.

• Upvote 31

Danke  schoen. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I don't know Cindy but always enjoy reading her posts, and seeing photos of her plants and garden. I am so relieved to know she is ok, and so happy to hear she is upbeat! We'll all get past the mess Irma left behind...keep the faith! 

Good to hear, praying for a quick recovery on the island for everyone.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Thank you so much for this update, Elvis.  I have felt confident that Cindy would be fine, but it is a relief to know that for a fact. She is remarkably resourceful and tremendously capable. I was concerned maybe with landslides being reported that her access to town would be cut off. So good to hear all is well, thanks again!

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks Elvis. Glad she is ok. Terrible what happened there. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thank you, Elvis! That's really good news! And "upbeat" - wow! :) But knowing Cindy, I am not surprised. Hopefully we will hear from her soon enough. :)

• Upvote 2

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

2 hours ago, Kim said:

Thank you so much for this update, Elvis.  I have felt confident that Cindy would be fine, but it is a relief to know that for a fact. She is remarkably resourceful and tremendously capable. I was concerned maybe with landslides being reported that her access to town would be cut off. So good to hear all is well, thanks again!

^ This. Exactly This.

Thanks for the update Elvis.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow, great news. Thanks for the update!

-Randy

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Thanks..I was concerned that we had not heard from her since the hurricane.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Thanks Elvis for the advise.

Knowing Cindy, I'm not surprised, but pleased to hear for sure.

Please feel free to feed us further information. We're worried about the whole island . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Great news...how did you acquire this info?

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

So glad to hear she is well. She is an amazing lady.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Great to hear! :lol: I bet they're going to be without power for a while. :wacko:

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Good news.....hope Cindy's place did not get to much damage

Regards Colin 

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Glad to hear she is fine

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Based on forum posts she's made in the past, I'm sure she's trying to make the best of a challenging situation. At least I hope so! Looking forward to a message directly from her to us all. ^_^

PalmFrogUmbrella.jpg

• Upvote 6

Cindy is tough! She will back in action in no time flat.

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I've thought about her with every report on the conditions in PR.  Very glad to hear she is OK.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

In her own words tonight...

I am safe and have full electronics in the states since Oct 10. Then back to PR on the 18th awaiting return of water/electric/phone/internet so will go dark again... I will continue to deal with the damages for quite awhile. Thanks so much for your concern!!!

• Upvote 9

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

That's great news !  :greenthumb:

That's great news I expected every morning,
Thanks !

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

11 hours ago, sur4z said:

I will continue to deal with the damages for quite awhile.

Oh no :unsure: I wish it was easy to go there to help her with this! I'm sad to hear that it sounds like she has bad damage (or, maybe she meant PR damage in general?). Either way, I'm so glad she's okay and very thankful for this update. Thank you! I miss her posts!!

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Thanks for the update on Cindy A.  Glad she's ok and was able to return to the states for a while as she awaits power to return to her place in PR.  Hope damage at her place wasn't too terribly bad.  Hang in there Cindy, things can only get better now tho' slowly at first I'm sure.

• Upvote 1

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I am so very blessed to hear all of these amazing comments and count all of you as friends here. It has been a humbling, but amazing journey so far and yes, I try to be a glass half full person.

Thus I can actually see ways even with Maria's wrath to turn lemons into lemonade!

There are so many people there without any financial resources who lost their wooden houses and even their lives. I am merely inconvenienced so try to keep the whining to a minimum.

I will begin posting some of my many photos in a new topic and I look forward to spending as much time catching up on all the activity post Irma who devastated Florida and Harvey plus all the normal happy posts, before I go dark again beginning next week.

• Upvote 13

Cindy Adair

Cindy

Glad to hear you are ok and doing well.

wishing you the best on the repairs.

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California