IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea lower fronds yellowing help

SoOrPalms

Hi everyone.

New to the site and love the info.... I just brought these guys up From SoCal a few weeks ago and they are going to have to stay in boxes for a few (5) months... (Will go in greenhouse when it gets to freezing temp).

They are starting to turn yellow on lower fronds. Thinking it's a water issue. Too much or not enough as they looked perfect two weeks ago.... Please help. Are these heavy waterer's or light?? Fertilizer requirements??

thank you and please help me save them and looking good til I plant them...

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4519.JPG

I don't suspect a big issue. The lower fronds are the oldest and will be the first to die off naturally. Looking at the box and size of the palm it likely had roots out of the box that were cut/broken. That's a big palm for that box. It wants the GROUND!

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

That was kinda my next question. Would I be better off putting in the ground now and pulling it out in 5 months for its "real" home?? Yeah bottom of box is missing and roots are heading out in all directions. It barely stands up straight without help....

Dont put it in the ground if you plan on pulling it back out and replant in 5 months. That is a very bad idea. 

• Upvote 2

Set it on plywood, or burlap and wrap it. and I agree to not plant and dig up... especially over winter. As a matter of fact, it might help to cut off one or two of those lower leaves.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Jubaea done like to be super wet either. FYI.  I would guess this has to do a little with some of the roots being in the ground before you purchased which were broken  when the box was picked up.