IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post your protection for full sun-sensitive seedlings...

Missi

Please post your set up/contraption for seedlings/young palms you planted that will need full sun when older, but can't take it as juvenile plants. Irma destroyed most of my shade trees, now I've got room to redesign my garden, minus the shade. :bummed:

This is obviously directed towards people who aren't using mature trees as a source of sun protection.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Missi, years ago I did a lot of looking regarding this and found that "pool screen" material is almost perfect. Just enough to give protection and once acclimated nary any burn when removed.. it seems to be @ 35% shade

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Missi, over the years we have used many variations of the knitted shadecloth on little sticks to big ugly poles and stakes.

None of them were worth photographing, they were all simple, ugly, temporary structures of simply shadecloth on 3 or 4 supports.

But they did the job, we have time now to take more care (and we now have shade trees)

but at the time there were more important things in life, than the appearance of a shade.

I'm sure whatever you do will be fine.

• Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

2 hours ago, Monòver said:

Not very nice, but it works in my backyard. For example, with my Syagrus botryophora.

IMG_20170924_081626.thumb.jpg.e566ca748c

You are lucky that you do not suffer from strong winds, or... you do actually?:bummed:

Yes, i am lucky, this side don't suffer strong winds. Of course, in a windy place, this shadow will be flying in the sky, lol.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Monòver said:

Not very nice, but it works in my backyard.

Yep, that is the sort of thing that we do. You appear to have copied one of my best designs.

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I'm just keeping them in my lanai. If I didn't have one I'd probably put them on the north side of my house.

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

13 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Yep, that is the sort of thing that we do. You appear to have copied one of my best designs.

Not copyright!!!©:P

Missi, you can buy shadecloth in rolls you can cut to fit. I have used gtsteve's method of stapling lengths of it to 4 stakes to form a shade cover over seedlings. If necessary, use a double layer (35% coverage is not nearly enough against FL sun). If you have to replace the screens on your lanai, i.e., the top esp., be aware that for a decent price increase, you can request screening that provides higher sun protection than typical screens. I did this when we rescreened the roof of our birdcage and still added two layers of shade cloth on top of that.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Excellent. Good thing I have plenty of bamboo! Thank you all for your advice!

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Missi, you can buy shadecloth in rolls you can cut to fit. I have used gtsteve's method of stapling lengths of it to 4 stakes to form a shade cover over seedlings. If necessary, use a double layer (35% coverage is not nearly enough against FL sun). If you have to replace the screens on your lanai, i.e., the top esp., be aware that for a decent price increase, you can request screening that provides higher sun protection than typical screens. I did this when we rescreened the roof of our birdcage and still added two layers of shade cloth on top of that.

Missi, years ago I did a lot of looking regarding this and found that "pool screen" material is almost perfect. Just enough to give protection and once acclimated nary any burn when removed.. it seems to be @ 35% shade

I guess it's what your are trying accomplish. My goal with the 35% is to slowly acclimate to having no shadecloth. Much more shade insures there will be burn when the cloth is removed. There was a nursery out here that had a shadehouse and greenhouse. After several burnt to a crisp plants I finally realized I was better off getting plants from the green house to plant out as the greenhouse was @50-55% and the shadehouse was 78%.... shadehouse plants fried when put outside...

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

6 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I guess it's what your are trying accomplish. My goal with the 35% is to slowly acclimate to having no shadecloth. Much more shade insures there will be burn when the cloth is removed. There was a nursery out here that had a shadehouse and greenhouse. After several burnt to a crisp plants I finally realized I was better off getting plants from the green house to plant out as the greenhouse was @50-55% and the shadehouse was 78%.... shadehouse plants fried when put outside...

Absolutely. Looking to slowly acclimate them, not raise up in a shadehouse.

On 9/23/2017, 6:32:09, gtsteve said:

Missi, over the years we have used many variations of the knitted shadecloth on little sticks to big ugly poles and stakes.

None of them were worth photographing, they were all simple, ugly, temporary structures of simply shadecloth on 3 or 4 supports.

But they did the job, we have time now to take more care (and we now have shade trees)

but at the time there were more important things in life, than the appearance of a shade.

I'm sure whatever you do will be fine.

Missi, you have received suggestions on structures for a quick solution, but a temporary intermediate solution is quick shade providing plants.  I have used both banana and papaya plants, which grow quickly.  I don't get the intense sun you do in Florida, so I have just planted them on the west or southwest side of sun sensitive plants to give them protection from the late afternoon burn.  Obviously, you can't use this for seedlings right now, but if you do the shadecloth solutions and plant banana and papaya now, you will have an interim step when you want to rid yourself of shadecloth.  I have been amazed at how quickly both plants will grow from small starts in one year and how much protection I can get.  Either can also be dug out when the time comes relatively easily.  As I'm sure you are aware, you will likely have to control the bananas, but it's easy to nip off new starts when they are small, or dig one for transplanting to another spot if needed.

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

56 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Missi, you have received suggestions on structures for a quick solution, but a temporary intermediate solution is quick shade providing plants.  I have used both banana and papaya plants, which grow quickly.  I don't get the intense sun you do in Florida, so I have just planted them on the west or southwest side of sun sensitive plants to give them protection from the late afternoon burn.  Obviously, you can't use this for seedlings right now, but if you do the shadecloth solutions and plant banana and papaya now, you will have an interim step when you want to rid yourself of shadecloth.  I have been amazed at how quickly both plants will grow from small starts in one year and how much protection I can get.  Either can also be dug out when the time comes relatively easily.  As I'm sure you are aware, you will likely have to control the bananas, but it's easy to nip off new starts when they are small, or dig one for transplanting to another spot if needed.

EXCELLENT IDEA!! :yay: I could also use crinum lilies!