IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can this mango tree be saved?

donalt

Hello from Orlando. With hurricane Irma now a memory, the damage in my backyard remains. A prized glenn mango tree was literally blown over to the ground, but the roots are intact. The once vertical tree now sits resting on its branches. I was busy cleaning other areas and have left alone the mango tree up to this point. Now I'm wondering, what if I just leave it "downed"? It looks like a mango bush at this point. There is absolutely no damage to any other branches ( in fact, a flush of new growth is happening).....  Just a thought, but what if I leave the tree as is? Honestly, from the house, no one can tell that it isn't a large bush.

Post a few pics if possible. What dimensions-- approximate height/spread/trunk diameter? If relatively small, can often be stood back up if braced well with wooden framework. Root structure will likely be compromised, so future failure is always possible-- keep in mind especially if a high traffic area or you have kids. I would recommend hiring a good local arborist to assist; as a minimum, get someone who has done storm restanding before.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Mango is one of the toughest fruit trees around. It will likely be fine. If worried about future toppling, keep it more or less hedged. 

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

From your description it sounds like it's still quite small. Standing it up would be your best option while you still have wet weather. Later on when it's bigger you'll appreciate it having the more regular structure. But I agree with the comment about posting a few photos. Would give a better idea of what's involved.