IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia Archeri

TexasColdHardyPalms

Ive spent (wasted) more money on various butia seed over the years attempting to germinate it. If it wasnt odorata, eriospatha i had a hard time germinating it.  It seems like i finally cracked the code on archeri and it looks like ill have close to 100 seedlings finally after trying for so many years.  I hooe this sucess pays off with a few of the other rare butia that i have.  

20170920_192203.jpg

• Upvote 7

now you finally got archeri to germinate, spend next few years wondering if they are genuine archeri,

All mine that i did actually get to germinate, from several sources  have been some kind of slow growing butia that is not archeri..

I hope you have better luck than me with Butia Archeri  

• Upvote 3

Nice seedlings. Congrats. 

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I got this Butia many years ago as a seedling labeled Butia archeri.  It isn't, but grew to possibly be Butia catarinenses.

The other Butia in the 1-gallon container I acquired this year and was told it was Butia archeri.  Again, time will tell!

Butia sp.  7-'16.JPG

Butia archeri,  9-2017 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 4 years later...

Any chance you might be willing to share your formula for success with germinating Butia Archeri? I'm looking at a seed order but apparently they're difficult to germinate with a 48% abortion rate... These are expensive and seeds of a rare variety so I would really appreciate any advice I can get.  

• Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 1:09 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Ive spent (wasted) more money on various butia seed over the years attempting to germinate it. If it wasnt odorata, eriospatha i had a hard time germinating it.  It seems like i finally cracked the code on archeri and it looks like ill have close to 100 seedlings finally after trying for so many years.  I hooe this sucess pays off with a few of the other rare butia that i have.  

20170920_192203.jpg

Yes. Please share the methods you used.

12 hours ago, paulish said:

Any chance you might be willing to share your formula for success with germinating Butia Archeri? I'm looking at a seed order but apparently they're difficult to germinate with a 48% abortion rate... These are expensive and seeds of a rare variety so I would really appreciate any advice I can get.  

Last batch received from RPS I realized about a 10% germination rate.  Sadly these have grown well in the last five years and while flowering already by all appearances are probably not Archeri either....or there were some other dwarf Butia mixed in.  

Curious who's your seed source?

Unfortunately @TexasColdHardyPalms hasn't been around in months.... 

On 10/16/2021 at 4:27 AM, Scott W said:

Last batch received from RPS I realized about a 10% germination rate.  Sadly these have grown well in the last five years and while flowering already by all appearances are probably not Archeri either....or there were some other dwarf Butia mixed in.  

Curious who's your seed source?

Unfortunately @TexasColdHardyPalms hasn't been around in months.... 

Don't think I'll be seriously considering buying from this source due to their astronomical prices coupled with difficulty germinating... Maybe if the price was for germinated seeds... but this is the particular variety I'm interested in for the apparent quality of nut it produces. Butia archeri var. diamantinensis nuts taste similar to coconut with stronger flavour notes and leaves a very pleasant and sweet after taste according to this vendor. https://www.seedshuntershop.com/store/products/butia-archeri-var-diamantinensis

36 minutes ago, paulish said:

Butia archeri var. diamantinensis 

Never heard of variations of Archeri.....but yeah that price is ridiculous.