IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Newly Planted Butia Pindo Palm

Ninja88

I planted a 2 foot Pindo Palm 7 weeks ago but I haven't noticed any growth.

The palm looks healthy with only the older fronds having brown tips.

The Center frond is still green, i marked it besides a mature frond about a month ago but haven't seen a change. I have mulch around it and its been well watered but not overwatered.

Is it just focusing on growing its roots out or should i be concerned?

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

• Upvote 3

Palms generally slow down as the weather cools. Between having been recently planted and with the weather cooling, I wouldn't expect much growth until it warms back up next spring.  

• Upvote 1

Your Butia looks good.  :)  I agree with Jdiaz and I believe it will also show faster growth once it gets a bit bigger.  I used to stay in Anderson when I had business at Greenwood Mills in Liberty, SC.  The Tigers are doing pretty well again this year!

Jon

Jon Sunder

Thanks I will look forward to the Spring and then I can fertilize it. That is cool, Anderson has some lovely palms especially Butia's. I've seen 2 huge ones near the University. Hopeful for another great year!

On 9/20/2017, 4:52:44, Ninja88 said:

Is it just focusing on growing its roots out or should i be concerned?

I potted my Canary in March.  It did absolutely nothing until the middle of June when some heat and humidity started kicking in.  They don't grow much when it drops into the 50's at night, and the first few months are going to be focused on root development and combating the stress of transplant shock.  It appears to me that the weak root system of palms in general mean they don't handle transplants well.  Once July came the palm started growing like a weed.  It's starting to slow down again, but luckily after a cold, wet August and first half of September, we are having a summer encore last week and this next upcoming week.

You will probably have to wait until next summer until it really starts growing.  As long as it stays green and healthy you should be fine.

Loop ok

First pic is from August 2nd the first day of planting.

Second two pics are from September 24th.

Any difference?

20170802_141648.jpg

20170924_153506.jpg

20170924_153651.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 9/25/2017, 3:28:32, Ninja88 said:

Loop ok

First pic is from August 2nd the first day of planting.

Second two pics are from September 24th.

Any difference?

20170802_141648.jpg

20170924_153506.jpg

20170924_153651.jpg

Looks like the yard filled in a bit. 

Could be a mixture of transplant shock and the palm putting it's energy into making roots (as you said). As long as that spear isn't pulling and it looks healthy, you should be fine. And in your current situation, you have a butia- they're pretty tough. I wouldn't worry :greenthumb:

• 6 months later...

Here is an update on this Butia.

There was virtually no growth last year since planting because of transplant shock and a cold fall. January was worse so I protected it with Christmas lights and a cover.  It pulled through with some old fronds browning but the center spear remaining green. 

It looks to be finally growing this past month with these warm Spring tempatures we have been having. The sharpie marks were recently added. 

IMAG0314.jpg

• Upvote 2

Great to see it made it through your tough winter!  Now that it's been in the ground 6 months it should be getting acclimated and hopefully show some growth.  I read recently where a grower somewhere in your state gets much faster growth with lots of water.  I have tended to keep them on the dry side, but I've been seeing better growth recently with additional water myself.  The down side is having it watered too much in winter when you get nasty hard freezes.  Hope it picks up some speed for you!

Jon

Jon Sunder