Newly Planted Butia Pindo Palm

9 posts in this topic

I planted a 2 foot Pindo Palm 7 weeks ago but I haven't noticed any growth.

The palm looks healthy with only the older fronds having brown tips.

The Center frond is still green, i marked it besides a mature frond about a month ago but haven't seen a change. I have mulch around it and its been well watered but not overwatered.

Is it just focusing on growing its roots out or should i be concerned?

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

Palms generally slow down as the weather cools. Between having been recently planted and with the weather cooling, I wouldn't expect much growth until it warms back up next spring.  

Your Butia looks good.  :)  I agree with Jdiaz and I believe it will also show faster growth once it gets a bit bigger.  I used to stay in Anderson when I had business at Greenwood Mills in Liberty, SC.  The Tigers are doing pretty well again this year!

Jon

Thanks I will look forward to the Spring and then I can fertilize it. That is cool, Anderson has some lovely palms especially Butia's. I've seen 2 huge ones near the University. Hopeful for another great year!

On 9/20/2017, 4:52:44, Ninja88 said:

Is it just focusing on growing its roots out or should i be concerned?

I potted my Canary in March.  It did absolutely nothing until the middle of June when some heat and humidity started kicking in.  They don't grow much when it drops into the 50's at night, and the first few months are going to be focused on root development and combating the stress of transplant shock.  It appears to me that the weak root system of palms in general mean they don't handle transplants well.  Once July came the palm started growing like a weed.  It's starting to slow down again, but luckily after a cold, wet August and first half of September, we are having a summer encore last week and this next upcoming week.

You will probably have to wait until next summer until it really starts growing.  As long as it stays green and healthy you should be fine.

Loop ok

First pic is from August 2nd the first day of planting.

Second two pics are from September 24th.

Any difference?

20170802_141648.jpg

20170924_153506.jpg

20170924_153651.jpg

Can’t really tell. I like to mark the emerging spear(s) with a marker to monitor their growth.

On 9/25/2017, 3:28:32, Ninja88 said:

Loop ok

First pic is from August 2nd the first day of planting.

Second two pics are from September 24th.

Any difference?

20170802_141648.jpg

20170924_153506.jpg

20170924_153651.jpg

Looks like the yard filled in a bit. 

Could be a mixture of transplant shock and the palm putting it's energy into making roots (as you said). As long as that spear isn't pulling and it looks healthy, you should be fine. And in your current situation, you have a butia- they're pretty tough. I wouldn't worry :greenthumb:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Pindo Palm Questions
      By lesi123
      Hello all! I'm pretty new to growing palms and had a few questions regarding a new Pindo palm I recently got. I've seen a few posts about multi trunk palms and when I was at my nursery I saw one Pindo that was smaller, more silver leafed, and with three trunks growing from the pot. I wanted to get a Pindo mainly for the fruit so I though three trunks would be a bonus if each one developed a fruit bunch. However, after I got it I realized I wasn't sure if there was any special care that needs to be taken with multi trunk palms and the nurseryman wasn't sure himself. Does it need extra fertilizer? Does it grow slower than a single trunk palm? Is it more or less wind resistant since it has a bigger canopy? I'm open to any advice regarding this new addition to my plant family!

• Mystery Butia at Ft. Myers BB
      By PalmatierMeg
      Today my husband and I dropped into a Ft. Myers BB garden center. Among the rows of "usual suspect" palms, I noticed a pinnate palm that was quite bluish green. The label on the pot read, "Pindo Palm". But it didn't look like the common Butia odorata. I looked closer and realized the petioles were smooth, not spiny. I asked my husband to take photos to post. Is this another Butia species or just a user friendly variation of the garden variety Butia? See photos below

• Mystery Butia at Ft. Myers BB
      By PalmatierMeg
      Today my husband and I dropped into a Ft. Myers BB garden center. Among the rows of "usual suspect" palms, I noticed a pinnate palm that was quite bluish green. The label on the pot read, "Pindo Palm". But it didn't look like the common Butia odorata. I looked closer and realized the petioles were smooth, not spiny. I asked my husband to take photos to post. Is this another Butia species or just a user friendly variation of the garden variety Butia? See photos below

• Wanted: cocosoid pollen
      By Kai
      I have a Syagrus weddelliana producing inflorescenses and after succesfully pollinating it with its own pollen, I want to try something else. I wish to pollinate its next inflorescense with Butia, Syagrus or maybe even Parajubaea pollen. Any suggestions are welcome of course. The only problem is that I don't live in the tropics and acquiring pollen seems to have become some sort of begging game. Up untill now without any succes I'm affraid.
      So I was hoping someone here on palmtalk recognizes my struggle and is willing to help me out with a baggy containing some special pollen. I estimate that the next inflorescense will be opening in a month from now.
      My gratitude would flow through the universe for eternity.
    • Butia capitata?
      By Desert DAC
      Am I correct on the ID - Butia capitata? If not, any ideas on what palm is it?
      The photo is from tonight, and we've had a mild winter. I've eyed these small feather palms for at least a decade, at a restaurant in Las Cruces NM. This palm is 8 ft tall x 8-10' wide, on a west face, and the site is about 4100' elevation, 32N latitude, arid, and the soils are gravelly sand. Drip irrigation is evident in this landscape. There are a few more of the same palms in the same area, but those are about 1/2 the size of this one.
      There are a few Phoenix canariensis and P. dactylifera or sylvestris in town, at least warmer areas. The fronds look more curved than those, to me.
      Thanks.