IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Irma damage to palms at Leu Gardens

Eric in Orlando

Its just over a week since Hurricane Irma hit Florida. We got hit really hard here at Leu Gardens in Orlando. The damage isn't as bad as from the 3 hurricanes that hit in 2004 but it is bad. There are dozens of big trees that are down or will have to be taken down. The palms mostly came through fine but some that are lost. 

2 20ft. Gaussia maya blew over

2 50ft Caryota maxima (Himalayan) that are flowering have blown over but supported by tree canopy

Another leaning Caryota maxima

Caryota urens with a snapped trunk

Roystonea borinquena defoliated

2017-09-18 033.JPG

2017-09-14 029.JPG

2017-09-19 055.JPG

2017-09-19 064.JPG

roybor.jpg

• Upvote 9

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

ouch

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

a beat up Arenga engleri

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and Caryota obtusa

a big clump of Caryota mitis had stems blown over

Satakentia liukiuensis just missed being crushed by a falling tree

Beccariophoenix fenestralis leaning

areng.jpg

arccar.jpg

2017-09-19 048.JPG

2017-09-19 047.JPG

2017-09-19 019.JPG

• Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

These are wild collected Florida Roystonea regia (R. elata) grown from seed that was wild collected in the Fakahatchee Strand swamp in SW Florida. They are planted at our lakeshore where they grow in wet muck. Currently there is about 3 feet of water there now from all the rain.

royela.jpg

2017-09-19 034.JPG

2017-09-19 035.JPG

• Upvote 6

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

a couple of Beccariophoenix alfredii leaning

the big Bismarckia nobilis has some beat up leaves

There are a couple dozen, ancient Livistona chinensis, they all survived, some are a bit tattered

Livistona decora

Acrocomia aculeata

becal.jpg

bisnob.jpg

2017-09-14 004.JPG

2017-09-14 001.JPG

acac.jpg

• Upvote 6

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

An ancient, native Pignut Hickory (Carya glabra) blew over in the Tropical Stream Garden. It was around 70 feet tall and probably over 150 years old. It fell across the stream and is blocking the entrance into Leu Gardens. It took down a Peltophormum africanum at the entrance and has buried quite a bit including a huge clump of Arenga engleri. It also broke a bunch of fronds on a nice Sabal yapa.

hicent.jpg

2017-09-19 052.JPG

2017-09-19 017.JPG

2017-09-19 020.JPG

• Upvote 6

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Another big tree that blew over is a 40ft Carrotwood Tree (Cupaniopsis anacardioides). 

2017-09-19 015.JPG

2017-09-19 045.JPG

2017-09-19 049.JPG

2017-09-19 014.JPG

• Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A few trees that are fine;

Our 300 year old Southern Live Oak (Quercus virginiana)

2 Banyan Trees (Ficus benghalensis)

Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus macrophylla)

2017-09-19 066.JPG

ficben1.jpg

ficben2.jpg

2017-09-19 025.JPG

• Upvote 7

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Bunya Bunya (Araucaria bidwillii) shed some branches and has windburn

Agathis robusta, Araucaria cunninghamiana and Araucaria hunsteinii

Eucalyptus deglupta

Bambusa vulgaris with broken /leaning culms and windburn

2017-09-19 031.JPG

2017-09-14 075.JPG

2017-09-14 070.JPG

2017-09-14 073.JPG

bambvulg.jpg

• Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The historic Mizell-Leu House, built in 1888, suffered damage when a branch off a Laurel Oak (Quercus laurifolia) landed on the roof

An old Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) toppled over

Old Sabal palmetto that resisted the storm

house1.jpg

house2.jpg

2017-09-19 026.JPG

sabpal.jpg

• Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Livistona decora, Livistona nitida, Pandanus furcatus and Beccariophoenix alfredii. The B. alfredii is leaning

Nageia nagi (Podocarpus), Nagi Tree, probably the most wind resistant tree growing here, leaves weren't even blown off, same after the 2 hurricanes in 2004

Ceiba speciosa, Floss Silk Tree blown over

Sabal palmetto 'Lisa' and Phoenix roebelenii x rupicola

front.jpg

nagi.jpg

2017-09-14 032.JPG

sabpho.jpg

• Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Amazing that among the destruction there are pockets where everything is normal, banana leaves not even shredded.

2017-09-19 050.JPG

2017-09-19 051.JPG

2017-09-19 056.JPG

2017-09-19 018.JPG

2017-09-19 041.JPG

• Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This is just about the most incredible downed tree at Leu Gardens. This is a native Pignut Hickory (Carya glabra). It took a massive gust of wind to twist and take down this tree.

2017-09-18 155.JPG

2017-09-14 005.JPG

2017-09-14 006.JPG

2017-09-19 039.JPG

loak.jpg

• Upvote 6

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Wow. :bemused::bemused::bemused:

Yes, what a mess! But bravo to the palms, they mostly look either very good or at least survivable.  And that oak! What a stunner. The twisted and torn Pignut Hickory is a shocking image. You have your work cut out for you. :(

Thanks for the images, sad as they are.

• Upvote 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks for posting the aftermath offices, Eric!

I was worried about the monster Eucalyptus Deglupta, looks like it's standing tall!

so sad to see the damage...driving by there yesterday i saw downed fencing along the road at the back of the gardens. how long will the gardens be closed? i can't remember how long after 2004 hurricanes that it reopened....even today, mead gardens doesn't resemble what it used to look like before hurricane charlie .

I remember all the open spaces in the canopy after Charlie, et al.  Sad to see all of this, but so glad it wasn't worse.

• Upvote 2

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

27 minutes ago, IHB1979 said:

Thanks for posting the aftermath offices, Eric!

I was worried about the monster Eucalyptus Deglupta, looks like it's standing tall!

Smaller branches broke off but the main frame of the tree is intact.

It survived the 3 storms in 2004 too.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

19 minutes ago, donalt said:

so sad to see the damage...driving by there yesterday i saw downed fencing along the road at the back of the gardens. how long will the gardens be closed? i can't remember how long after 2004 hurricanes that it reopened....even today, mead gardens doesn't resemble what it used to look like before hurricane charlie .

Not sure yet how long it will be closed. We are working to get some areas cleaned up where there aren't any dangerous or downed trees. But even then there will be quite a few areas closed off for safety for many months until treework is completed.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks for your post, Eric.  Our Sarasota garden fared about the same, but in a much smaller scale (1 acre).  Interestingly, the trees that toppled/uprooted seemed different.  Just goes to show, there are so many variables that go into it.  Our large Beccariophoenix fenestralis and medium alfredii were completely unfazed, as were all our caryotas, including an obtusa.  Our large Ceiba speciosa lost a few branches, but otherwise,not even a lean!  I was worried about that one.  A small Ceiba bombax split in two and uprooted.  Our old live oaks, although much thinner now, are all intact, including one that's been estimated to be 200 years old.  Overall, as a group, the palms and cycads did better than anything in the garden.  The generous canopy we have seemed to protect the underlings significantly, as many, especially things like crotons, were almost unfazed.  Things that didn't do well:  Cryosophila stauracanthas.  We only have two, but the six foot one's crown snapped off.  The ten foot one is very tattered.  The zombia antillarum is tattered and lost quite a few fronds.  Variegated coral tree had a massive number of branches that snapped off, but it already looks like it's re-foliating!  A 30 ft. Filicium decipiens uprooted, and another one, our roundest and prettiest, was almost cut in half.  A 20 ft. Clusea rosea uprooted and an ancient, very full and pretty ligustrum uprooted.  It seems the really full-foliaged trees really caught the wind and were more likely to uproot or lose many branches.  Also, a large Bauhinia galpinii uprooted.

Thanks for posting your experience at Leu and the photos.  Disheartening, but very important and useful.

• Upvote 2

Sorry to see all the damage. I rode out the storm in Orlando less than a mile from Leu Gardens and it was pretty bad there. There were a lot of strong wind gusts, the highest I'd estimate around 80mph. 

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

9 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

This is just about the most incredible downed tree at Leu Gardens. This is a native Pignut Hickory (Carya glabra). It took a massive gust of wind to twist and take down this tree.

2017-09-18 155.JPG

2017-09-14 005.JPG

2017-09-14 006.JPG

2017-09-19 039.JPG

loak.jpg

OUCH

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks for all the photos.  They're worse than I expected, but with recovery projects locally, I haven't paid full attention to Orlando.  That pignut hickory is shocking.  

Good to see that so many of the palms did well.  

Down in Ft. Pierce, the little Heathcote Botanical Garden had no serious damage to its Palm Walk.  One curiosity was a whole bunch of leaning lady palms (Rhapis excelsa).  If that becomes a nuisance, stems can be cut and new shoots will show up promptly.  Because some heavy wind happened without rain, I suspect that some of the local leaf browning is due to salt spray.  

• Upvote 2

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

16 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Ceiba speciosa, Floss Silk Tree blown over

2017-09-14 032.JPG

WHYYY are they so prone to blowing over? I lost my 2 largest. I saw several others lost theirs as well. Is it the heavy canopy branches?

Edited by Missi
  • Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

13 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Sorry to see all the damage. I rode out the storm in Orlando less than a mile from Leu Gardens and it was pretty bad there. There were a lot of strong wind gusts, the highest I'd estimate around 80mph. 

Its amazing, I just checked the records for the NWS station at the nearby Orlando Executive Airport. Highest sustained winds measured were only around 57 mph and highest gusts were 78 mph, also almost 8" of rain. During Hurricane Charley in 2004 we had a tornado come through a section of the garden. None this time but we sure must have had some microbursts. But the duration of the winds was much longer than during the 2004 storms.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

7 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

Thanks for all the photos.  They're worse than I expected, but with recovery projects locally, I haven't paid full attention to Orlando.  That pignut hickory is shocking.  

Good to see that so many of the palms did well.  

Down in Ft. Pierce, the little Heathcote Botanical Garden had no serious damage to its Palm Walk.  One curiosity was a whole bunch of leaning lady palms (Rhapis excelsa).  If that becomes a nuisance, stems can be cut and new shoots will show up promptly.  Because some heavy wind happened without rain, I suspect that some of the local leaf browning is due to salt spray.  

It was rather shocking to see that Pignut Hickory twisted like that. It is a younger specimen, maybe 30 years old and about 35 ft tall.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

2 hours ago, Missi said:

WHYYY are they so prone to blowing over? I lost my 2 largest. I saw several others lost theirs as well. Is it the heavy canopy branches?

I think this is one of those trees very dependent on a strong, well developed root system in our sandy soils. We have over a dozen growing and had 2 blow over and one with limb breakage. I think this tree is better to plant as a younger, smaller specimen that hasn't been containerized too long so it can grow a full, healthy root system in the ground and can "spread out". Same with Eucalyptus.

The one in the photo is actually a historic specimen. Mr. Leu planted it many decades ago. It was killed to the ground in the Dec. 1989 freeze and regrew as a triple trunked specimen. After the 3 hurricanes in 2004, one trunk split from the base and fell. A second trunk was splitting and the third one was beat up bad and broken. So we cut it all back to the stump and trained a single stem back. Now it blew over.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

3 hours ago, richnorm said:

Is that a Needle palm at the base of the twisted Pignut?  Seems to be completely undamaged!

Yes, it is a Needle Palm and is totally undamaged. This was the only tree in the immediate area with that kind of damage.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

9 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Wow. How did the Corymbia citriodora do?

They all did well. They did lose some branches but nothing major. There is a big one down the street at a local garden center nursery and it fared well too.

Here is the 2 specimens growing near the old house and another angle of the big Eucalyptus deglupta;

corcit.jpg

eucdeg.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

There are also several Corymbia citriodora growing in the Idea Garden, here they are;

corcit1.jpg

2017-09-14 034.JPG

2017-09-14 035.JPG

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks for sharing these sad pictures.

The great news is that most of your garden will recover.

Hang in there! 

• Upvote 1

Wow!  That's sucky.  Thanks for sharing Eric.  Hope the clean up goes well.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

21 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

They all did well. They did lose some branches but nothing major. There is a big one down the street at a local garden center nursery and it fared well too.

Here is the 2 specimens growing near the old house and another angle of the big Eucalyptus deglupta;

Nice- Thanks for taking those. I know farther south, many Eucalypts were hit or miss with some coming down altogether.

• Upvote 1

Both of my Corymbia citriodora blew over. They've been in ground for 2-3 years, but they were extremely pot-bound when I purchased them. We cut them off at the base. Hoping they'll shoot up new trunks! :hmm:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Yes it could have been. Glad it weakened and didn't hit Florida with the 185 mph winds or even 160 mph like earlier tracks were predicting.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a