IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis SP

Bill Austin

Dypsis prestoniana?

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

I pick it up from Jeff M as a dypsis miss labeled or unidentifiable , so have to  wait and see, it is not like any of the other dypsis I have seen it is going to be a BIG BOY.

Wow Bill!, very nice!! Can you add any more pictures please? Curious what the emerging spear looks like, etc. Kinda looks like a 50/50 hybrid between a big curley and a betafaka...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

IMG_2644.thumb.JPG.2589a77fce2856de5d850tHere you go Bill a few pic.of the base and leaf . Here is a pic. Of prestoniana on the right and the dypsis SP. on the left and mite as will throw in a betafaka and robusta don't know why the betafaka is at the top of page?

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

• Upvote 7

Wow, even more amazing and mysterious Bill! It looks like Hybrid of something giant! Thanks for those pics Bill. How long have you had it, how big when planted and how long in the ground?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Think this is the same one Bill?

20170922_114919.thumb.jpg.7ece12c791b32c

• Upvote 4

Bill and Bill, I got seed of this palm many years ago direct from Madagascar. Twenty years ago! It is a monster! I still have a few at my growing grounds! BS I bet you got one of these from me!

2 hours ago, neoflora said:

Bill and Bill, I got seed of this palm many years ago direct from Madagascar. Twenty years ago! It is a monster! I still have a few at my growing grounds! BS I bet you got one of these from me!

I think this one is different than the one I got from you... the one I got from you is proving to be one of my favorites! (It looks similar to oropedonis?)

WOW great palm!

Big Boy the cat will love having a really nifty palm as his namesake . . . . .

59ca8604c331e_bigboy1.jpg.d46ce4c3977a60

59ca8d7866c84_bigboy2.jpg.dcc7afd496ee1a

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 9/25/2017, 10:26:59, BS Man about Palms said:

I think this one is different than the one I got from you... the one I got from you is proving to be one of my favorites! (It looks similar to oropedonis?)

BS,

This is the same one as Bill A's. I saw it in person when  I was there a few months ago. I'm glad you got one from me. I just shifted the rest into 15 gals and they are growing very fast.

You better it it in the ground and not keep it in a pot ;)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

23 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I got to see this palm in person this past weekend, it's incredible!  Going to be huge, thats for sure! 

lucky ducky!!!!!

Sunset zone 24

On 9/17/2017, 6:52:51, Bill Austin said:

I thought I would share this .

IMG_2628.JPG

I remember seeing it in person like it was yesterday. Outstanding bill!

One of my faves in your garden.

Sunset zone 24

5 hours ago, Josh-O said:

BS,

This is the same one as Bill A's. I saw it in person when  I was there a few months ago. I'm glad you got one from me. I just shifted the rest into 15 gals and they are growing very fast.

You better it it in the ground and not keep it in a pot ;)

I'm not trying to stir the pot here but what makes you so sure the palm BS Man posted is the same as BA's. There were so many palms that came in a tokoravina back in the day and with the size/age difference between the BS Man plant and BA's I'm not so sure you can definitively say its the same palm. Could there be some wishful thinking going on? Here is a plant I got years ago that was labeled as tokoravina. Is it the same thing as BA's and BS Mans's? Its in a 5g pot. So many of these big heeled Dypsis look so similar at this age it makes ID'ing them difficult.

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3542.JPG

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Nick , Your are right! Almost impossible to i d at young ages. I have grown a lot in 35 plus years! Did you get that from me? Looks similar to the ones I sold you and Rusty!

53 minutes ago, neoflora said:

Nick , Your are right! Almost impossible to i d at young ages. I have grown a lot in 35 plus years! Did you get that from me? Looks similar to the ones I sold you and Rusty!

Hey Ron hows it going? Its been a while. No this is a different plant than the one that I got from your although they are very similar at this age. I'm bummed to report the one I got from you got a bad case of pink rot and died. Im bummed, that was a very cool plant.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Sorry being so slow responding BS man, been busy anyway this plant was in a 5 gal. pot when planted out and I would say it's been in the ground 4 years. Very fast grower I would say it's a highbred . I posted this back some time ago but I can't seem to find the post, I am sure you remember how great I am with computers.:wacko:

• Upvote 1

Here's mine. Just picked it up this weekend from Bill Austin. Part of my first palm shopping trip I had here in Hawaii!

IMG_0009.thumb.JPG.ab231a98bdcf635021af4

• Upvote 5

Ha Ha....look at you Jason. Good going!

Maybe we can hook up this coming week. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 10/1/2017, 10:35:16, realarch said:

Ha Ha....look at you Jason. Good going!

Maybe we can hook up this coming week. 

Tim

Sounds good!  Would be great to have you stop by. 

Nice..new palm and new name in one fell swoop

On 10/2/2017, 1:24:03, Hilo Jason said:

Here's mine. Just picked it up this weekend from Bill Austin. Part of my first palm shopping trip I had here in Hawaii!

On 10/2/2017, 1:24:03, Hilo Jason said:

Nice Jason!!

23 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Nice..new palm and new name in one fell swoop

Yeah, we are loving it here in hilo so far. Hopefully some more palm shopping this week. Eventually I plan on starting a thread to introduce my new garden and have a place to post updates over the years as it develops. I also need to post a final Fallbrook garden thread as well.  Not enough time in the day. 

• Upvote 1

great to see you getting some cool palms, and helping out great nurserymen like Bill

aloha