IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why I love Palm Trees

jglock1

I don't post often. Many of you know Judy and me. We are long time members of IPS. We have a house and garden in Cudjoe Key and in Fort Myers, Florida. I say have because our homes and gardens in both locations have survived Irma. The gardens look like a bomb went off.  The number of palms we lost in Fort Myers I could count on one hand. Judy has cleared out over 100 Royal fronds from the yard. Yet every one of our 25 plus mature royals are standing tall.  Our mature Borasus over 20 feet tall has a full head of intact fronds. The same can be said for the majority of the palms. We lost mangos, live oaks, pines, cannonball, and African tulips.  Palms are like my Dad. They are tough SOB's

i have seen an overhead helicopter shot of the yard in Cudjoe. Coconuts and Pritchardias are beat up but standing. We'll head down to the Keys when the road opens. We have been told the it may take two months to restore power to the Lower Keys.  We need just enough rain to keep thing alive. It won't take much because Palms are the Princes of Trees. 

Did I mention they are tough.

• Upvote 12

24 minutes ago, jglock1 said:

I don't post often. Many of you know Judy and me. We are long time members of IPS. We have a house and garden in Cudjoe Key and in Fort Myers, Florida. I say have because our homes and gardens in both locations have survived Irma. The gardens look like a bomb went off.  The number of palms we lost in Fort Myers I could count on one hand. Judy has cleared out over 100 Royal fronds from the yard. Yet every one of our 25 plus mature royals are standing tall.  Our mature Borasus over 20 feet tall has a full head of intact fronds. The same can be said for the majority of the palms. We lost mangos, live oaks, pines, cannonball, and African tulips.  Palms are like my Dad. They are tough SOB's

i have seen an overhead helicopter shot of the yard in Cudjoe. Coconuts and Pritchardias are beat up but standing. We'll head down to the Keys when the road opens. We have been told the it may take two months to restore power to the Lower Keys.  We need just enough rain to keep thing alive. It won't take much because Palms are the Princes of Trees. 

Did I mention they are tough.

POST SOME PICTURES!

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Can't post pictures yet. We won't have power here at our place for at least another week. No power and no Comcast. With only weak 3G, I might as well have my dial up modem. 

Can't post pictures yet. We won't have power here at our place for at least another week. No power and no Comcast. With only weak 3G, I might as well have my dial up modem. 

2 hours ago, jglock1 said:

Post when you can

You'll add to the greater body of knowledge

Glad to hear you're safe!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi Jim and Judy -- thanks for posting.  I've been wondering about the many IPS stalwarts in Florida and it's great to hear your homes and gardens are intact. Best of luck with the cleanup and your eventual return to Cudjoe Key.  Again, thanks so much for posting and checking in! Palms rule!

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I thought of you Jim when I picked this up a little while back and if I was there, I'd be pouring you one! Glad to hear you and Judy are safe and able to work on your treasures soon!

20170913_233255.thumb.jpg.c3ffab6f742ee2

• Upvote 3

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Glad to hear you, the houses and the palms did survived Irma well. Quite curious to discover the mess it left tough.
I must be really demotivating to have years work and love being destroyed in an eyeblink. 

Glad to see your post, Jim. I remember touring your Ft. Myers garden. And I thoroughly agree that in a hurricane palms deal better than 90% of hardwood trees. Our garden lot that had many large flowering trees looks like a war zone. Nearly all of them fell or shattered. We have tree cutters hard at work as I write. If the choice was purely mine  these trees would never darken my property again but my husband loves them. I just don't know if we could go through such massive destruction again. We definitely have some thinking to do.

My verdict: Palms rule! 

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Jim!  So glad to see your post!  I've been thinking about you and Judy and asking about you on the croton forum.  Glad you are ok.  Great to hear your report on palms.  In our garden, the palms did the best too.  We had several small trees blow over, defoliate, etc.. All our oaks have thinned out markedly, but none of our palms fell.  Few even look like they went through a storm!  They are the best.  Makes me want to plant more!  Hey, thanks for checking in.  So happy to hear from you guys.  Now I'm only worried about Tim O'Donnel.  Have you heard anything from him?  By the way, we don't have power yet either.  Bathing in the pool.  Our backs are breaking from picking up 8-10 hours a day.  The mess is unbelievable.

Edited by annafl
  • Upvote 1

Tim rode out the storm up here at Jeff Searles...dont know what hes found if even allowed to return to KW yet

Jim...i lost my biggest Talipot...how did your Utan do...pic taken 2013

020.JPG

• Upvote 5

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Hi Jim and please say hi to Judy for me too! Great to hear from you albeit post such a serious event. 

Thanks for letting us know Tim is safe, as several of us had been concerned. I am sure it will be traumatic for him and you to see what the Keys look like now. So sad for all.

Trying to find even a glimmer of good news: maybe FL palm nurseries and landscapers will stay busy replanting and redoing many areas across the area. And like several of you have noted, I'm sure with no bias whatsoever, replacing other less tough trees with palms that may fare better during hurricanes is good for those selling them.

Assuming Irma did not destroy their stock....

I'll be at either the Fall or Spring Searle sale so look forward to seeing you and Judy there! 

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

7 hours ago, waykoolplantz said:

Tim rode out the storm up here at Jeff Searles...dont know what hes found if even allowed to return to KW yet

Jim...i lost my biggest Talipot...how did your Utan do...pic taken 2013

020.JPG

Thanks, Mike.  Nice to know Tim's fine.  Mike, that's awful about your Talipot!  Is there any hope of righting it?  Probably not that beast.  Not even with a crane I imagine.

Good to know Tim O is okay, but I wonder what he will find upon his return?  Hoping for the best for another fine plant dude.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Hi all, this is the 2nd time in a week I've been on. To be serious, many of us are still in a little bit of shock. I know I am. Before I continue, I read a remark posted here earlier from Dean that has now been "removed". Dean, I would appreciate in hearing from you with an explanation and apology to the  Glocks for your insensitive remarks to his topic. You have no idea what many of us are going through. I lost power early, saturday at 2:00pm. I still have no electric or running water. It's been 86 degrees in the house each night which is unbearable. We are no longer staying there. I lost many large trees in the garden, BUT, just about all my palms survived!! Yay! It will take many months to remove all the debris. 

Tim O'Donnell has been staying with us the whole time and just found out yesterday his house is ok. 

The nursery is remarkably well. All shade cloth on the 15', one acre house blew completely off! This was first priority to get new cloth up, palms stood up and watered, which we finally did yesterday. Other houses with smaller palms and tropical plants did very well due to to being closer to the ground. It's been extremely hot this week, but we are moving along with the clean up. I have received many, many texts and phone calls from many of you and I can't thank you enough. After all, we do have a sale coming up!!!

Jeff

• Upvote 5

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Mike Harris I wanted to let you know the Utan this morning looks just like the picture you poster only twenty feet taller. It came through in great shape. This morning I went around the yard and took lots of pictures. I'll post when I can get some internet connection. 

• Upvote 4

To Jeff Searle thank you for your post. Judy and I were very offended by the moderator and what he posted. That was very uncalled for. I understand that IPS has to pay the moderator for the Palm Talk site. I have spoken to our President Ray and let him know that Judy and I did not appreciate the comments from the moderator. To everyone out there who lost any palm trees, Judy and I will see you at Jeff's upcoming Palm sale . 

• Upvote 1

Jeff, Jim, and Judy - I have been working on this since awakening this morning. Please be assured I do not recall making any posts publicly regarding the hurricane at all. Nor can I find any Moderator or Administrative logs indicating anything has been deleted by anyone with that ability. 

I hope you all realize I would never leave "insensitive" remarks. In fact I was in contact with Jeff privately expressing my concern as Irma approached, and have been extremely sympathetic to all of you in danger - and have been following the events closely.

So, I am in a state of complete misunderstanding, and am trying to contact Jeff via phone to get to the bottom of this. 

Please, if any of you have what you believe to be a post from me, please PM it to me with any other info you may have - such as if it was "DypsisDean" or "Palm Mod," when it was posted, and even a paraphrasing of the comments if the original text wasn't saved. And - was it posted in this topic? All this info is very important, because I need to find out what occurred.

UPDATE (Edit): All one big misunderstanding. A comedy of errors that we have all straightened out. It all started with a misinterpretation of DoomsDave's rather lengthy and legal disclaimer he has in his signature - and then went downhill from there with several "understandable" missteps thereafter. 

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

2 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

Jeff, Jim, and Judy - I have been working on this since awakening this morning. Please be assured I do not recall making any posts publicly regarding the hurricane at all. Nor can I find any Moderator or Administrative logs indicating anything has been deleted by anyone with that ability. 

I hope you all realize I would never leave "insensitive" remarks. In fact I was in contact with Jeff privately expressing my concern as Irma approached, and have been extremely sympathetic to all of you in danger - and have been following the events closely.

So, I am in a state of complete misunderstanding, and am trying to contact Jeff via phone to get to the bottom of this. 

Please, if any of you have what you believe to be a post from me, please PM it to me with any other info you may have - such as if it was "DypsisDean" or "Palm Mod," when it was posted, and even a paraphrasing of the comments if the original text wasn't saved. And - was it posted in this topic? All this info is very important, because I need to find out what occurred.

Dean I want to thank you for the call and for solving the issue above. What I was offended by turned out to be a poster's signature.  When he replied and quoted me asking me to post pictures, my wife and I assumed that his signature was referring directly to what I had posted.  This is what caused our concern. By looking at the forum not signed you don't see the signature. When it appeared below my post led us to believed to be directed at us.  Perhaps ours signatures should be more Fun and Family Friendly. Thanks again Dean. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jglock1 said:

Dean I want to thank you for the call and for solving the issue above. What I was offended by turned out to be a poster's signature.  When he replied and quoted me asking me to post pictures, my wife and I assumed that his signature was referring directly to what I had posted.  This is what caused our concern. By looking at the forum not signed you don't see the signature. When it appeared below my post led us to believed to be directed at us.  Perhaps ours signatures should be more Fun and Family Friendly. Thanks again Dean. 

No problem Jim - and it was nice to personally touch base again. I can't imagine the angst and anxiety you all must be dealing with in the aftermath. 

Please remember, we would all like to see photos if/when you may get a chance . Not because we enjoy looking at "train wrecks," but because there would be things in them that I am sure we can learn from. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.