IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My palms south of France

alohas

hi everyone,

I've been looking into palmtalk for several years now and l learnt a lot in these pages, so it's time to post some pics of my garden. I have an extended collection of cold hardy palms (hybrids, sabals, braheas etc), my garden is in zone 8b, with warm and dry summers, winters are cool and rainy. There is a lot of wind all year long. And I'm also infested with paysandisia archon unfortunately.

My biggest mule (butia x syagrus santa catarina)

656711DSC05153.jpg

sabal sp tifton

215212DSC05150.jpg

Sabal sp with brahea decumbens

263160DSC05145.jpg

Butia odorata also with brahea decumbens

655562DSC05158.jpg

Brahea armata and a very fast and hardy syagrus from southern Brazil (parana)

348477DSC05159.jpg

Butia paraguayensis x parajubaea cocoides

412657DSC05128.jpg

Trachycarpus martianus nepal form (with my little girl)

277774DSC05135.jpg

Edited by alohas
  • Upvote 14

Hi Alohas,

Impresse by the palms and garden,nice collection of rare hybrids.

Any winter damage on BxP ,Butiagrus or Syagrus?

What are the usual winter minimal temps in the region,do you use any protection?

thanks guys

petrppetrov, no winter damage so far on the palms you're quoting, the lowest they've seen is -7°c (19.4°f) last winter. Winters can be very different from one year to another, even if there are always some freezes. I'm using protection on all of my smaller palms (those pictured above are my biggest, no protection for these). But I have many other hybrids, parajubaeas, livistonas that are little, but went through last winter with only a few burns under winter cloth.

Wunderbar!

Sorry, my French ist nicht gut . . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 month later...
On 14/10/2017 à, Trava said:

Very nice palm collection!

Does someone recognize that Parana syagrus?

It's a romanzo. but from the tablelands of south Brazil

Nice palms there. Brahea aculeata's dont get much attention but are strong growers.  Did the JxQ spear pull or only burn this winter?

• Upvote 2

On 10/18/2017, 6:56:55, alohas said:

thanks!

a pic of a parajubaea sp 'anda' I'm growing, supposed to be 'macrocarpa' according to the seller

22519294_315330932280229_522226857854392

In this picture behind the nice looking parajubeea to the left, is that a Sabal minor I see? Looks like it.

Edit: My bad! I see you already mentioned them!

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2017 à, PalmTreeDude said:

In this picture behind the nice looking parajubeea to the left, is that a Sabal minor I see? Looks like it.

Edit: My bad! I see you already mentioned them!

I bought the palm in the back as a sabal 'Birmingham'. But I can't tell the difference between this one and a regular minor. 

On 13/9/2017, 11:11:16, alohas said:

syagrus from southern Brazil (parana)

348477DSC05159.jpg

what minimum temperatures has had the syagrus romanzoffiana?

GIUSEPPE

nice palms and garden your b.armata looks awsome and add contrast to your garden

• Upvote 1

Palm enthusiast in cold climate

***USDA Hardiness Zones 7a/7b*** AHS heat zone 7***

Beautiful garden! Wish I had your mild winters but retain my long hot and humid summers :D

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

22 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Beautiful garden! Wish I had your mild winters but retain my long hot and humid summers :D

I know the feeling! But here winters are not always so kind, every 15-20 years there's a very bad cold spell. In my area, palms of more than 30 years old are all trachies (and a few chamaerops). I think sabals have a chance long term, but they weren't planted until recently.

Edited by alohas
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, alohas said:

I know the feeling! But here winters are not always so kind, every 15-20 years there's a very bad cold spell. In my area, palms of more than 30 years old are all trachies (and a few chamaerops). I think sabals have a chance long term, but they weren't planted until recently.

Yeah for us ever 5-10 years we get a blizzard or a really cold snap where and arctic vortex comes way to far south and hard freezes us for a day or 2.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017‎ ‎11‎:‎59‎:‎19‎, gyuseppe said:

Isn't this a Syagrus Botryphora in the photo, not Syagrus Romamzoffiana?  If so, isn't it supposed to be LESS cold-hardy than Syagrus Romanzoffiana?  Syagrus Botryphora should be no problem to grow in Nice or anywhere on the Côte d’Azur, but I don't know how many Toulouse winters it will tolerate in a zone 8b.

Alohas, you have a nice garden and I think some of your palms will be quite big soon (especially the Mule Palm and the Syagrus x Jubaea hybrid).  Your Parajubaea Microcarpa is also quite big.  I think it will be very beautiful some day.  

Very nice!

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017‎ ‎1‎:‎49‎:‎13‎, alohas said:

It took - 5°c without protection and -7 with frost cloth. 

Wow, if it tolerated -7°c , then it must be Syagrus Romanzoffiana, not Syagrus Botryphora. Please disregard my previously posted message.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

I live in south italy is very south of Europe,  the only syagrus I can cultivate is only the romanzoffiana

You should try also Picrophylla, it is quite reliable after a certain size, but you need to protect it when still very small.

Thanks Sandy Loam! Indeed this syagrus is a romanzo. I would be happy to try other species of syagrus though, there are apparently many of these growing in south Brazil, I'm sure some would be quite hardy! But they're virtually impossible to find here, except sometimes on rps.

10 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

You should try also Picrophylla, it is quite reliable after a certain size, but you need to protect it when still very small.

Konstantinos over the last 10 years I have tried about 10 species of syagrus(not Picrophylla), are lived   for a few years, but then died in colder winters

I look for syagrus romanzoffiana x coronata , but I do not find it

romanzoffiana x coronata ????-----> https://www.ebay.it/itm/Syagrus-Coronato-X-Syagrus-Romanzoffiana-F2-hybrid-Palm-10-SEEDS-/192005016970?hash=item2cb4640d8a:g:qPEAAOSwB09YC9IY

GIUSEPPE

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017‎ ‎1‎:‎23‎:‎00‎, gyuseppe said:

I live in south italy is very south of Europe,  the only syagrus I can cultivate is only the romanzoffiana

There is a mature Syagrus Romanzoffiana at the botanical gardens of Nice (Jardin botanique de la Ville de Nice).  However, that garden is right on the Mediterranean Sea.  In winter, Nice stays a bit warmer than other French cities on the Mediterranean, such as Marseille.  I have heard about a garden somewhere in the region which even has an Archontophoenix, but I can't remember which one.       

6 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

There is a mature Syagrus Romanzoffiana at the botanical gardens of Nice (Jardin botanique de la Ville de Nice).  However, that garden is right on the Mediterranean Sea.  In winter, Nice stays a bit warmer than other French cities on the Mediterranean, such as Marseille.  I have heard about a garden somewhere in the region which even has an Archontophoenix, but I can't remember which one.       

There's one in the villa Thuret in Antibes. And near the Italian border in Menton there's a botanical garden with an archontophoenix grove, they also have howeas. 

Queen palms are not so rare along the coast in the french riviera, you can even see some in private gardens. 

Edited by alohas
Missing information

• 8 months later...

here's a 4 year progression of my 'parana' queen in pictures, it got down to -7°c (19.4 f) this winter with snow and strong wind, some fronds were damaged but it's recovering.

august 14
43895175912_243baaeb1f_c.jpgIMG_3751 by alohas alohas, sur Flickr

june 16
29005650027_208aa51ab7_c.jpgDSC01901 by alohas alohas, sur Flickr

july 17
43895144042_ebb795318a_c.jpgDSC04780 by alohas alohas, sur Flickr

pic taken today
43943483771_4c3d270fa5_c.jpgDSC07088 by alohas alohas, sur Flickr

• Upvote 5