IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Possible Hybrid Encephalartos?

5150cycad

I bought this as an Encephalartos Arenarius. The larger it gets the more I think there is a chance that it is some kind of hybrid. I do believe it has Arenarius in it, but I feel like  there is something else. Maybe a cross with a Natalensis? Any guesses or thoughts?image.thumb.jpeg.761d81c3ed2acccdc34182fimage.thumb.jpeg.0b95b9ba6b7ffd08e285693

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

I do believe it has Arenarius in it, but I feel like  there is something else. Maybe a cross with a Natalensis?

I have an Encephalartos natalensis x arenarius, and while there are similarities, yours appears to be pulling more arenarius than my known hybrid of the two.  Its always possible that it is within the normal distribution of the hybrid, or maybe a reverse, arenarius female pollinated with natalensis pollen (less likely someone would use a female arenarius cone to try the experiment than the other direction though).  Yours definitely does not look like a pure E arenarius though.  My wife, who likes "green plants", likes the glossy deep green leaves of the E nat x arenarius hybrid. 

20170903-104A7474.jpg

20140130-IMG_9899.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

The other one it sort of resembles is another Encephalartos arenarius hybrid which was hybridized with a close relative (speculated at least) of natalensis, which is woodii.  Leaf of Encephalartos arenarius x woodii below.

20170819-104A7232.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

The other one it sort of resembles is another Encephalartos arenarius hybrid which was hybridized with a close relative (speculated at least) of natalensis, which is woodii.  Leaf of Encephalartos arenarius x woodii below.

20170819-104A7232.jpg

I really like both of these hybrids, especially the Arenarius x Woodii. The leaves are a dark glossy green and almost look like plastic. I have a horridus x woodii that has the similar dark green glossy leaves. It amazes me that the hybrid doesn't inherit any blue gene of the horridus whatsoever. I think you are right that it wouldn't make much sense to use natalensis pollen on a female Arenarius cone when there are so many other choices. It is turning out to be one of my largest cycads and has grown quite vigorously which leads me to believe it's a hybrid. Thanks for the pictures Tracy. It is always nice to compare and see the similarities and differences. 

• Upvote 1