IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal species ID

Jesse

I have planted a Sabal in my garden without knowing the species.  If possible, does anybody know? I know it's not mature yet but am curious what I should expect. Possibly minor?

Any help is appreciated. TIA

20170910_165941.jpg

20170910_170004.jpg

• Upvote 1

I don't think it is a S. minor. It could be any of the other species, but my guess (based on my own observations) is Sabal causiarum. Whatever it turns out to be, the colors are gorgeous!

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 106°, Lo 74°

• Upvote 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

I'm not too sure, but it could be a S. bermudana - which has a prominent yellow patch, around the hastula.  It's pretty commonly cultivated, too.  But, I believe other Sabals have that feature, so some degree.

• Upvote 1

Thanks you two!  This helps me narrow it down.  I was told that the seed was from a Sabal in San Diego from either San Diego Botanical Garden or Balboa Park according to my memory. 

On 12/9/2017, 7:44:09, Tom in Tucson said:

I don't think it is a S. minor. It could be any of the other species, but my guess (based on my own observations) is Sabal causiarum. Whatever it turns out to be, the colors are gorgeous!

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 106°, Lo 74°

Here are my 2 c: Does not look to me like minor because it has already a hastula on the way to becoming prominent and many filaments among segments, which exactly is what minor lacks of. Seegments look halfway down to the midrib sepatated from each other, which excludes palmetto. Margins of hastula look not enough involute, which would otherwise distinguish bermudana (at least on several specimens growing in Europe). On the other hand a causiarum growing in  Ca is often prone to potassium deficiency, which here is not the case, plus causiarum has long ligules among leafbases, but latter may develop later.  Such a deficiencymay may show up later as well though, when the plant grows bigger and needs of potassium increase (although Steve Toad has a  very well nutritioned causiarum). The closely related S domingegsis has very rigid leaves almost cardboard like in texture. Here are some simple rules of identification you should have in mind as the specimen grows older and bigger and resumes its final appearance.

I would say moderate growth. Since planting it on Oct 22nd last year it has probably pushed about 5 new leafs, or more. Here it was after planting.  I apologize for the poorly composed picture as Sabal comparison was not my original objective.

20161022_074616.jpg