Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Arenga after 13 degrees

10 posts in this topic

This arenga and revoluta x debaoensis saw 13 this year completely unprotected. I wasn't sure about the arenga for a while but even the big stem survived.  

20170910_141624.jpg

20170910_141618.jpg

13 degrees and recovery? Awesome!

WHOA

There is an encephalartos ferox and cycas diannensis beside these that saw 16 before we covered them up. The diannensis flushed in the spring and looks great but the ferox had a tiny, abnormal flush whuch means that it was hurt. All jubaea in the ground burned but recovered, many 15g jubaea died. All potted pindos smaller than 20g died outside and all of them including large mature plants completed defoliated but came back.  Even in 2011 the butia didnt defoliate like they did this year. 

That's awesome for the rev x deb and the arenga.  I had two large 20 gal size arenga engleri's in San Marcos that were really burned from 17* & 18* lows, but they've recovered.  

My butias and jubaea in Central Dallas had no burn from 15* & 16* lows.  

Joseph:

Is that an Arenga engleri?

Yes, sorry i forgot the engleri part. I dont have any of those hard to find ryukyu island species. 

16 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

My butias and jubaea in Central Dallas had no burn from 15* & 16* lows.  

The butia at my house fared much better and were only half burn despite being only 2 degrees warmer than the nursery. The wind seems to have really made a big difference and plants right out in the open burned really bad. 

My A. engleri has recovered fine in the ground for close to a decade. I'm growing a A. ryukyuensis and A. micrantha to size to experiment some more. My past work with A. micrantha has been unsuccessful.