IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia Revisited

realarch

So, time to start another Pritchardia thread after seeing how nicely they are growing from recent posts. 

My first Pritchardia's I planted were rescues from a friends garden up in Volcano about 7 years ago and I just assumed they were P. beccariana. They later turned out to be P. pacifica after hoping they were something else, like P. lanigera. Oh well, they are still quite nice. 

I've got 3 P. martii, 2 P. glabrata, 5 P. beccariana, and a number of small P. maindeniana, and hillebrandii, and 2 P. pacifica's. 

The oldest P. beccariana has been a rocket and the P. martii are just killer palms. 

Anyway here are some photos from the garden. 

Tim

First, the P. pacifica's 

P1000965.jpg

P1000967.jpg

P1020281.jpg

P1020285.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 20

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

P. martii, one beautiful palm. They're getting some size to them now and the leaves are just crazy. The one pic is of the hastula on the front of the leaf. 

Tim

P1000942.jpg

P1000948.jpg

P1000946.jpg

P1000947.jpg

P1020292.jpg

P1020293.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 27

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Very nice Tim. I wish I could give you a reputation... i have just one kind of pritchardia home. A pacifica obviously. I am very happy with its health (no pests) growth rate and beauty.

Nice palms!  I love all the Pritchardias like your Martii once they get those ultra white backsides going.  I have some smaller Martii here in SoCal, but they are struggling to adapt to my sun exposure.  Nice to see that your Glabrata are starting to get the droopy leaf tips going.  I can't remember which Hawaiian botanical garden has one at the entrance, but the pictures of it are all over the Internet.  The leaves all look like they just melted at the tips.  It is a stunning palm.

• Upvote 1

Very beautiful Tim, add so much to the garden. Great to see the rarer ones doing well for you, and starting to set seed. The P. glabrata is especially beautiful, love the droppy leaf tips, and the silver backs on the P. marti. 

Firepalm the nice P. glabrata are at Hoomaluhia gardens in Kaneohe. 

aloha

Colin

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jesse, Jeff, Blake, Jim, & Colin, so far so good.

You guys should post some photos and Colin, you should post some pics of P. bakerii.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here you go Tim, probably the largest P. baker anywhere  in cultivation. It is an honor to try to be saving this from extinction. Been many years of work

aloha

Colin 

IMG_0690.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 14

Nice Colin!

So, is the hike up Kuliouou valley to P. bakerii pretty strenuous? Thinking of a trip to Oahu around Christmas time.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Pretty tough but doable. Some rope climbs at the top, probably why I rarely see anyone on that side, and why there is quite a lot to native forest left, Ohia, etc

Let me know if you are willing to go. Would gladly take you. 

aloha

On 9/8/2017, 2:55:52, colin Peters said:

Very beautiful Tim, add so much to the garden. Great to see the rarer ones doing well for you, and starting to set seed. The P. glabrata is especially beautiful, love the droppy leaf tips, and the silver backs on the P. marti. 

Firepalm the nice P. glabrata are at Hoomaluhia gardens in Kaneohe. 

aloha

Colin

Thanks Colin! That is the one I was thinking of!

Acquired this Pritchardia as a very small plant labeled 'Blue Moon'.  It has grown to now look like this and is producing seeds for the first time.

Pritchardia 'Blue Moon'  9-'17.JPG

Pritchardia 'Blue Moon' seeds,  9-'17 (1).JPG

Pritchardia 'Blue Moon' seeds,  9-'17 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

On 9/9/2017, 11:08:00, colin Peters said:

Here you go Tim, probably the largest P. baker anywhere  in cultivation. It is an honor to try to be saving this from extinction. Been many years of work

aloha

Colin 

IMG_0690.jpg

How long from seed for this one, and the follow up, how long before you get it into the ground?  I presume it will grow faster once you get it into the ground.  Good luck with your precious cargo!

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Pritchardia glabrata in garden.  Two angles of the same palm.  

Pritchardia glabrata  9-'17.JPG

Pritchardia glabrata,  9-'17.JPG

• Upvote 7

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Pritchardia schattaueri in garden and has been producing seeds for several years now.  This palm is native to south Kona only a few miles from our place but at a slightly higher elevation, around 2,000 ft.

Pritchardia schattaueri,  9-'17.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Nice sunsets!

Great pictures of some awesome palms Tim. Those are some of the best examples of glabrata I've seen.

Al, let us know what, if any, differences you perceive between hillibrandii & "blue moon". Super pictures as well!

Colin, that's a really pretty seedling; looks well grown..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

My still small Pritchardia hillebrandii growing in an elevated planter in Leucadia.  It sits right off the deck and family room & kitchen, for prime visibility.

20170912-LI9A7715.jpg

• Upvote 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Al, that P. schattaueri is looking nice! (as does the rest of your garden)

Tracy, prime viewing indeed! I don't know how big that planter is, but it might slow it down for longer enjoyment from the window. 

Colin, thanks for all the photos, looks like P. bakeri has some pretty droopy leaves when young. BTW, still contemplating that hike. I'm not a youngster anymore ya know.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thought I'd add a couple to the list. One is a palm purchased as P. viscosa, but probably minor. I've seen it in others gardens where it's listed as minor. It's one of the most unique versions of the genus; nice flat leaves held in nearly horizontal fashion, and a beautiful gold color underneath. The only problem is that I've never seen a picture of a similar palm in habitat. So feel free to weigh in..

IMG_1598.JPG

• Upvote 3

Bret

Now this is a palm purchased as minor. Also very small, but with an entirely different look. Leaves have a coarse, undulating appearance. They're also gold on the bottom, although not as dense as the previous one. The stem is perhaps 3" in diameter. I'm not aware of any other in the genus that stays as petite as these two, so I'm a bit stumped. There's not supposed to be two versions of minor. Thoughts?

Bret

On 9/8/2017, 1:08:40, realarch said:

P. martii, one beautiful palm. They're getting some size to them now and the leaves are just crazy. The one pic is of the hastula on the front of the leaf. 

Tim

P1000942.jpg

P1000948.jpg

P1000946.jpg

P1000947.jpg

P1020292.jpg

P1020293.jpg

your defiantly right!! this is a crazy good looking palm. Nice job!!

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Bret here are some shots of minor I took yesterday while on Kauai up at Kokee, in the Waimea canyon area for the day. Had nice pinkish, brown fuzz. Lots of green seed.

aloha

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Colin,

Those are great pictures, thanks for that! A dead ringer for the first palm I posted. (Excepting the fact it's on Hawaiian steroids) What a beaut.

Bret

• Upvote 1

Bret

Thanks for the habitat shots of P. Minor Colin, both of them are gorgeous plants.  Interesting to see the natural variation since the first one has flat stiff leaves and the second one has a noticeable hastula and appears to be pretty droopy in comparison to the first palm.

• Upvote 1

Well, since we're on the subject...........here are some photos of P. martii in habitat on windward Oahu taken a few years ago while hiking 

with a fellow Palmtalker who knew the trail well. Scattered populations with mature and juvenile specimens. 

They were impressive, to say the least, and a couple were quite tall. It was a fantastic day. 

Tim

IMG_4709.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here's my in-ground Pritchardia collection. The first is what I purchased as Minor. It looks very distinct, even while young, with a sort of deep green, flat, non glossy leaf on top and gold underneath.

IMG_0182.thumb.JPG.62671127dabaf343c7dccIMG_0183.thumb.JPG.46b05937fb90ad31eb05dIMG_0184.thumb.JPG.b7ec8842e8730c471f635IMG_0187.thumb.JPG.a769ff098d61b5333f97d

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8