IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

S. Birmingham and T. fortunei at Jaycee Park

djcary

I read about Jaycee Park in Raleigh having some Sabal Birmingham and since I'm nearby I visited a couple weeks ago and took some pictures. I figured I'd make an account here and share the pictures with you guys. Also, the Gary's Nursery website has some old pictures of these palms that you can compare with: http://www.garysnursery.com/RaleighPalms.html

They all seem to be doing fine, though the one Birmingham that's out in the open did seem to have a decent amount of damage on some of its fronds. Here in Raleigh, we did see single digit temperatures back in January one day, and I believe the high was at or just below freezing for that day too, but that didn't seem to bother these palms that much.

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

File_004.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

Thanks for the update!  I planted a Sabal Birmingham in my yard and hope to see it become a large palmetto in my zone 7b/8a climate.  Seems here that watering a lot helps the growth rate.  Mine withstood down to 12F with protection (a styrofoam cooler, no additional heat).

Sabals seem pretty resilient and cold-moisture tolerant.  With a bit of TLC  and increasingly warmer temperatures they may turn out to be a viable option for here.

I would love to hear and see any other anecdotes of Sabal birmingham or palmetto in zone 7b or 8a climates trucking along! 

• 2 weeks later...

I planted a gal sized sabal Birmingham in my Dallas garden in 2002.  It has been the slowest growing of any palm I've grown, sabal uresana has been a close second!  The trunk has about 18" of height w/ leaf tips reaching about 9'.  I planted a washingtonia filibusta that same year- it has more than 30' of trunk and a trunk diameter of 32".  I've found sabal Mexicana to be much faster than Birmingham in N Tx.