IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Drimys a goner ??

Darold Petty

My street tree, Drimys winteri v. chiloense, grew well for 3 years with an approximate temperature range of 50-70 F.  Last Friday we suffered a record high temperature of 106F.  (At my home, closer to the ocean, it was likely about 95F.)  All the foliage was completely wilted by Saturday morning, and now all the leaves are falling off the tree. This tree was most beautiful, with a refined and elegant appearance.

Can this tree recover from complete defoliation, or is this tree killed by the one-time extreme temperature ??  Your comments greatly appreciated, thanks.

IMG_4494.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

• Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

Hi, Darold.

Really sorry to see this big hit on your Drimys. I saw a fair amount of spontaneous combustion from last weekend's heatwave, with both greenhouse and terrace temps exceeding 110 F/43.3 C. You should know fairly quickly whether this tree is mortally wounded or just temporarily hors de combat. FYI, I had some high Andean sobralias defoliate like this during the mid-June heat event and they managed to survive...only to be re-roasted again on Friday. Kicker here is always the duration of high night-time temps...these are the worst enemies of cloud forest plants.

J

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Last Friday we suffered a record high temperature of 106F.  (At my home, closer to the ocean, it was likely about 95F.)

Holy Toledo, that is hot in The City!!!  We were hot down here too, but nothing like that.  We were experiencing heat and humidity from the remnants of Tropical Storm Lidia over the Labor Day Weekend, but our marine layer returned pretty quickly to bring the coastal temps back down.  Hope your Drymis tree makes it, but I can't offer any input, as I have no experience with the genus.  How did everything else do in that extreme event.  While it may not sound that hot to folks from other areas, it is way out in the tail of the normal distribution of your temps, so none of your plants are accustom to seeing those temps.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

The rest of my garden seems OK.  No trouble for my Geonoma undata palms. I had leaf scorch on a few Howea leaves. These leaves had been shade grown, and only exposed to direct sun since last December, when I removed a large Metrosideros excelsa.  Fingers crossed against further, slow appearance damage. :greenthumb: 

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

On 9/7/2017, 4:40:43, Darold Petty said:

The rest of my garden seems OK.  No trouble for my Geonoma undata palms. I had leaf scorch on a few Howea leaves. These leaves had been shade grown, and only exposed to direct sun since last December, when I removed a large Metrosideros excelsa.  Fingers crossed against further, slow appearance damage. :greenthumb: 

glad to hear everything is doing very well in your amazing garden :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24