IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

why arent royals or foxtails more common in south lousiana?

Mr.SamuraiSword

I know that much of south louisiana south of New orleans is zone 9B and some even 10A.  how come palms more tropical than queens are extremly scarce in that region?  here is one of the only royals ive heard of in that area.  its a good size too.  how come they arent planted more there?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.261598,-89.9560394,3a,37.5y,299.99h,96.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgCygOBxzRhQ-1697Bp20ZA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Wow that's a nice Royal for Louisiana, last time I checked the 2012 interactive USDA zone map there was only a tiny blip of 10a in Louisiana waaaay down there on the end of the delta. 

Louisiana had a streak there of mild winters that made people think they could get away with tropicals, but truth is, it is not very hospitable to royals/foxyails. Within the last few years I've seen some hard freezes down there even deep south like Houma I've seen royal/foxtail killing freezes, we have forum members that sustained heavy damage in those areas, I wonder when that photo was taken with the royal. 

Having said all that, if I lived down there I might plant some anyway with the understanding that I would enjoy them for however long they lasted before the inevitable. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

1 hour ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

I know that much of south louisiana south of New orleans is zone 9B and some even 10A.  how come palms more tropical than queens are extremly scarce in that region?  here is one of the only royals ive heard of in that area.  its a good size too.  how come they arent planted more there?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.261598,-89.9560394,3a,37.5y,299.99h,96.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgCygOBxzRhQ-1697Bp20ZA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I dont think there are any inhabitable area in Louisiana that are 10a. The reason you dont see them is because they will die in the winter, just like they will in Houston. 

Wow, I'm equally impressed by the Ravenala madagascariensis growing beside it. Nice pair of Bismarckia too. Bismarckia is a palm that should definitely be more common in S. Louisiana and the Texas coast. Imagine the banks of the Mississippi in New Orleans lined with Bismarckia...

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

3 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Wow that neighborhood is waaay out in the gulf, I didn't realize Louisiana had developed areas that far south. I've heard New Orleans is borderline 10a (most years), so I'd be willing to bet that island is even closer to 10a. But with that latitude and all that water around it it's a lot more protected that the NOLA area and especially other southern LA cities like Baton Rouge.

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

In the long run, LA is too cold.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It is very interesting to see those plants growing in LA. The gulf coast of FL isn't warm enough to support those at the same latitude (29.26n).

That's probably the only town in the state capable of supporting a royal palm. You've really got to wonder what it is doing there, I doubt there's a local nursery selling them given the market is so small. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

13 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

It is very interesting to see those plants growing in LA. The gulf coast of FL isn't warm enough to support those at the same latitude (29.26n).

That's probably the only town in the state capable of supporting a royal palm. You've really got to wonder what it is doing there, I doubt there's a local nursery selling them given the market is so small. 

The fact that it's basically an island off the coast probably makes it's climate more comparable to Galveston than to a northern Florida coast city. And as people have shown on this site, there are a few royals in Galveston though they are marginal there.  This town is actually south of Galveston, closer in latitude to Daytona Beach. That homeowner probably trucked it in from south Florida.

Edited by pin38

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

1 hour ago, pin38 said:

The fact that it's basically an island off the coast probably makes it's climate more comparable to Galveston than to a northern Florida coast city. And as people have shown on this site, there are a few royals in Galveston though they are marginal there.  This town is actually south of Galveston, closer in latitude to Daytona Beach. That homeowner probably trucked it in from south Florida.

Looks a lot like Galveston too. Strertviewed the area and saw some decent sized Araucaria, shrubby Ficus, and even a young Dypsis decaryi. Wonder how cold it got there in January of 2010. The north Atlantic coast of Florida is pretty mild too...there are pictures of tropical landscaping (somewhere on the web) in Jacksonville Beach and St. Augustine comparable to Galveston. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)