IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia schattaueri germination & other seeds

Cocos korea

Hello 

I  received my seeds from RPS on september 1st!

Pritchardia schattaueri

Roystonea dunlapiana

Dypsis ambositrae

and Pandanus odorifer

I found out P. schattaueri seeds have really hard shell, Should I crack it open?

I am planning to take these steps:

1. soak them in water(already done)

2. dip them in fungicide 

3. put in plastic baggie with sphagnum moss, squized untill no more drops

4. Float the bag on water that is heated by aquarium heater( at 32~35℃)

5. Wait!

How do you think about my method?

Actually I had done this to my previous order and I got bad results

I can't think of any problems in my germination method.. so maybe the previous failures are due to Seed problem?

Yes I would advise to crack open the seeds of Pritchardia schattaueri, especially if they are not completely freshly harvested.  That should help with better and quicker germination.  P. schattaueri in habitat grows on private property in south Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii.  After MANY years it can grow tall (see photo in habitat).  The other photo is mine in the garden.  

Pritchardia shattauerii, 3-'17.JPG

Pritchardia schattaueri in habitat 3-06.JPG

• Upvote 2

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

5 minutes ago, Al in Kona said:

Yes I would advise to crack open the seeds of Pritchardia schattaueri, especially if they are not completely freshly harvested.  That should help with better and quicker germination.  

Wow what a nice palm you have in your garden!!

I got my seeds from RPS, so I think they must have went through long trip to come here(maybe not so fresh at this point) 

Do you have any tip for opening the shell?

The one in the photo was already slightly cracked so opening it wasn't hard...But the ones that are intact is really hard!

I hit them carefully with hammer several times in different positions(top, bottome, left...) but they didn't open.. ! so I decided not to open them because I was afraid I might crack the real "seed" 

Try squeezing them gently with a pair of pliers. The shell will crack, then you can reach into the crack with your fingernail and pry off parts of the outer shell. It doesn't all have to be removed.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

4 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Try squeezing them gently with a pair of pliers. The shell will crack, then you can reach into the crack with your fingernail and pry off parts of the outer shell. It doesn't all have to be removed.

Oh thank you for the tip!

Before you send me this replie,

I tried hitting with hammer again and voila! only outer shell cracked up nicely and some of them are already germinating :)

By the way, will this wound kill the seed?(second photo)

I tried to get that shell off but only made that wound... 

After few hours the seed show signs for germination but I am worried if that causes death! 

I soaked it with fungicide for treatment

20170905_000210.jpg

20170904_184239.jpg