IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Alternatives to Skype?

Neil C

I've used Skype for several years to video call my parents overseas. A recent Skype upgrade mean that it is now longer compatible with my ageing Windows XP. My laptop works fine otherwise and I feel reluctant to buy a new laptop just so I can use Skype again. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Skype which will give me free video calls, is easy to download and install (as my parents will have to do the same) and will work on Windows XP. Many thanks for any suggestions.

Regards Neil

A lot of people use WhatsApp these days, though I have not downloaded the app myself. Worth checking out. Has to be downloaded to your mobile phone though.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

A lot of people use WhatsApp these days, though I have not downloaded the app myself. Worth checking out. Has to be downloaded to your mobile phone though.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Jeff Searle told me about it on the last biennial and I could not download over there...and did when I got home (I believe because it uses local phone to start/register) then uses fb links to call after that?) Anyway, I use to chat with friends and relatives in Colorado and Canada regularly.  :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017‎ ‎4‎:‎17‎:‎24‎, Neil C said:

...it is now longer compatible with my ageing Windows XP. My laptop works fine otherwise and I feel reluctant to buy a new laptop just so I can use Skype again. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Skype which will give me free video calls, is easy to download and install (as my parents will have to do the same) and will work on Windows XP. Many thanks for any suggestions.

I would suggest to get an updated system.

If you're still browsing the web using that computer with Windows XP, it can be easily compromised, since Microsoft no longer releases any security patches for it. It is vulnerable to many exploits now, and a compromised website you visit can load spyware, viruses, or ransomware into your system. As a result you can easily lose information you have stored in there, and if you do taxes or banking on it, the bad guys will get that too.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all your replies. Maybe it is time for an upgrade but I'll look into Oovoo too. I really want this on a laptop as opposed to a mobile phone.

Regards Neil

8 hours ago, Neil C said:

Thanks for all your replies. Maybe it is time for an upgrade but I'll look into Oovoo too. I really want this on a laptop as opposed to a mobile phone.

Regards Neil

I updated my computer for the same reason Pando suggested.

In my case, the computer had been in use for more than 12 years, so it was time for a change anyway. If you use a broadband internet and haven't upgraded your modem, I recommend doing that too.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I almost don't know anyone using computers to communicate any more. Whatsapp, Viber, ..., facebook,...they all provide video chats 

On 9/4/2017, 4:00:24, dalmatiansoap said:

I almost don't know anyone using computers to communicate any more. Whatsapp, Viber, ..., facebook,...they all provide video chats 

I use them for work mainly, but use Skype every once and a while.

PalmTreeDude

• 3 years later...