IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen palm planting - time of year

Rtrw

Hello all.   I live in Scripps ranch San Diego, ca.   I am considering planting some queen palms this fall.   We have some good palm nurseries nearby and I think I am going g to plant some relatively large ones -10-15'.   Is it a bad idea to put them in during the fall or early winter?   I know it would probably be best to wait for next spring but I would like to finish my yard.   It time of the year crucial when planting queens?   I am thinking October or November.   We are zone 10a so we have a very temperate climate.   

1 hour ago, Rtrw said:

Hello all.   I live in Scripps ranch San Diego, ca.   I am considering planting some queen palms this fall.   We have some good palm nurseries nearby and I think I am going g to plant some relatively large ones -10-15'.   Is it a bad idea to put them in during the fall or early winter?   I know it would probably be best to wait for next spring but I would like to finish my yard.   It time of the year crucial when planting queens?   I am thinking October or November.   We are zone 10a so we have a very temperate climate.   

You will be fine planting queen palms in October/November. This will give the palms a little bit of time to establish before it starts getting cold.' You will be thankful you did because they will really take off next spring.

• Upvote 1

Robert, First off, I have nothing against queen palms. When they're well grown, they can be dramatic. However, in your zone, there are SO many more less common and beautiful palm species to choose from. I have planted over half of the 130 species of palms in my Bay Area garden during the late fall and even winter without ill effects. Just not the real tender nearly tropical species. If you go with queens, any time of year is okay for planting.

• Upvote 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I was going to mention that there are a lot of alternatives to queen palms as well, especially in your area. Just to name a few:

1- mule Palm (butia x queen)

2- dypsis onahelensis

3- beccariophoenix alfredii 

4- brahea Clara or armata

5- brahea decumbens

6- dypsis decepiens

7- butia x jubaea

8- all of the queen hybrids

and many many more. When I bought my house I planted 4 queen palms. A year later I found out about palmtalk and cut them all down to replace them with something else. We have a ton of great growers around that grow amazing stuff. They also sell them for very reasonable prices. A lot of them are members on palmtalk. I only mention this because I wish someone would have said something to me sooner. The more you get into palmtalk and see what some of the amazing stuff members are growing, it might open your eyes to a whole new world of palms. You should have Jim post some pictures of his place. His garden is a tropical wonderland, something I didn't think was possible 10 years ago. Whatever you end up planting good luck and happy growing. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys for the info.  I know the queens are very common in my area.  I have thought about using something else...I do have some pretty cool and less common palms in my back yard...some arecas, coco queens, teddy bears, foxtail, kings, royals and a few others.  

The reason I was leaning towards the Queens is these will be going in my front yard so I want something that will look fantastic and not struggle with our hot dry summers.  I do not want something that will take years to acclimate.  Queens are fairly bullet proof in my area.

Which of the species you recommend would be the most "bullet proof" in my area?

I don't live in Cali but queens are fertilizer hogs, messy (1000s of orange fruit that attract hordes of flies) and just plain ho-hum boring. And they aren't as drought tolerant as you think. If you want the same look, mule palms are beautiful, coldhardier and sterile. I can't grow Braheas but I've learned here they do great in CA: drought tolerant and eye-catching. I also can't grow Parajubaea but I've learned this genus also thrives in Cali. Finally, Becarriophoenix alfredii are fantastic coconut look alikes that are hardy to mid-20s and look like coconuts on steroids when they get larger. One of those as the focal point of your front yard will make your property stand out as not boring and forgettable.

Now, all the above suggested palms will cost more than queens, which are dirt cheap. If dirt cheap is all you care about, the nearest Big Box garden center is just a few miles or fewer down the road. But if you want something to make your yard pop, check out some of the specialty palm nurseries that populate San Diego. I don't make suggestions but many of them belong to PT. Your eyes will be opened to a whole world of palm riches. So, go on a palm safari.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, Rtrw said:

Thank you guys for the info.  I know the queens are very common in my area.  I have thought about using something else...I do have some pretty cool and less common palms in my back yard...some arecas, coco queens, teddy bears, foxtail, kings, royals and a few others.  

The reason I was leaning towards the Queens is these will be going in my front yard so I want something that will look fantastic and not struggle with our hot dry summers.  I do not want something that will take years to acclimate.  Queens are fairly bullet proof in my area.

I'd recommend a trip up to see Phil at Jungle Music. Other members in the area probably have some good recommendations for you. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rtrw said:

Sounds like you already have a nice selection. All of the palms I mentioned above will be bulletproof in your area except maybe the decepiens (I only say this one because I can't seem to keep one alive to save my life). I am growing all of these palms in Escondido where it gets even hotter/colder than scripts ranch. Joe Palma on this forum is very very reasonable compared to what you would pay elsewhere for the same thing. He is in San Marcos and has some very nice quality stuff. 

Yeah, what everyone else said. Don't plant queens. Ugh. It doesn't take long when they will be out of reach to trim by hand, so it will cost you a fortune to remove them or you'll have to keep paying for trimming with ugly spike holes everywhere. Even the common Kentia palms (Howea forsteriana) will be much better looking than queens.

You are in San Diego where you have one of the best climates in the world. Queens are everywhere; plant something better. You have way too many choices to choose from.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alright - I am convinced.  NO QUEENS.  

I love the idea of the kentia but they seem to struggle in the direct sun in my area.  I have one in full sun - it is about 6' tall and it doesnt look so good.  I am hoping it will come around.  Anybody have experience with Kentia in full sun in a similar climate?  Do I just need to give it time?  Mine has only been in the ground for a year or so.  I dont mind waiting for it to acclimate so long as it does.  I dont want a palm that always looks half ass.  

I am also considering the coco queen......anybody have any first hand info on this one?

How about a Bolivian Mountain Coconut (parajubaea torallyi)?  They're mega cold-hardy and ideal for California, so I've heard.  Bonus: they actually grow small coconuts.

Parajubaea-Torallyi.jpg

Exotic and beautiful.

Edited by Anthony_B
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Anthony_B said:

How about a Bolivian Mountain Coconut (parajubaea torallyi)?  They're mega cold-hardy and ideal for California, so I've heard.  Bonus: they actually grow small coconuts.

Parajubaea-Torallyi.jpg

Exotic and beautiful.

Parajubaea is an excellent recommendation. They grow super fast here and have that coconut like look. I bought one as a pretty small15 gallon 4 years ago and it is now about the size of a 36" box or larger. I would be happy to send u a pm with some of the palms I my growing in my area since our climates are pretty similar. I  live in Escondido by the stone brewery. I actually probably get hotter and colder than you do.

Coco queen is also a great choice. I saw some really big ones a while ago and kind of regret not planting any of them myself. I think jungle jacks was selling 15 gallons for $125-150 last time I was there. Kentias would grow well but might burn, at least until they adjust to your climate. I work in poway/scripts ranch area and have seen some nice kentias however they always seem to be a little bit on the yellow side. There are definitely other palms that would look better year round. Good luck. 

Give Joe at Discovery Island Palms a call. He has a great selection of sun acclimated palms that would do great in your area.

MLW

I think I am going to go with the coco queens & I am also considering a "foxy lady."

Does anyone have experience with the foxy lady?  Wondering if anyone has any direct experience with this one?  I absolutely love foxtails but I have had mixed results with them.  I am hoping the foxy lady would be a bit more tolerant to my location?  Again I am in inland san diego (scripps ranch zone 10A) we do get dry heat during the summer, some wind.  I will be planting in full sun.  I am about 13 miles from the coast.

Assuming the foxy lady is a good choice for my climate I will need one double or triple foxy lady and 3-4 of the coco queens to do my front yard.  The foxy lady can be anywhere 6-8'+....does not have to be too big.  The coco queens however I do need to be a bit larger as I will be planting along a walk way so I need them to have enough trunk so I can walk under them without running into the fronds.

If anyone can private message me or put me in touch with someone who has what I am looking for I would appreciate.  I know moon valley has the coco queens but they seem overpriced.  

Thanks everyone who has responded you guys are great!

Strange as it may seem, Queen palms are not really that common in Darwin, Northern Territory of Australia. Sure, they are cultivated here, but they're not really 'flavor of the month' with Darwin enthusiasts. Generally speaking, our tropical monsoonal wet/dry climate is a bit different to their natural growing conditions....having said that, my specimens have proved to be fast growing and prolific producers of viable seeds. And they produce seed all year round irrespective of the seasons. I had a mature ( 28 year old ) specimen succumb to the dreaded wilt last year, the other one is 30'/40' tall and is flowering again atm. ( and a million seedlings sprouting underneath from the previous flowering ! )

As for Foxtails, well they are tough little plants, thrive on neglect in my climate ( which is almost identical to their natural habit on Cape York Peninsular in far north Queensland ) surprisingly hardy and can take a bit of cold here in Australia.....however the Mediterranean climate of cool wet winters and hot dry summers is the exact opposite of their natural climate and that is the problem. I guess.they don't really like having cold wet feet....( me either ! )

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...
On 8/31/2017 at 1:22 PM, Pando said:

Yeah, what everyone else said. Don't plant queens. Ugh. It doesn't take long when they will be out of reach to trim by hand, so it will cost you a fortune to remove them or you'll have to keep paying for trimming with ugly spike holes everywhere. Even the common Kentia palms (Howea forsteriana) will be much better looking than queens.

You are in San Diego where you have one of the best climates in the world. Queens are everywhere; plant something better. You have way too many choices to choose o

One of the best climates in the world is very questionable.  Lol