IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best Palms For Containers Zone 10A

DCA_Palm_Fan

Hey everyone.  

I have not been on much as I have been preparing for my big move. (sorry about that!) Well, the day is finally here tomorrow, and everything is done. (accept the long two day drive down)  After talking about it for years and wanting it for 2 decades, I will be finally moving to good old sunny Florida!  Saint Petersburg to be exact. YAY!!!!  

What I am looking for are some suggestions for some great palms that do great in containers outdoors year around.  I know many of the good old basics, but I want to ask here anyway as I am sure there are always some that I do not yet know, and that others do, and you fine wonderful palm nuts are always so great and reliable!  So, Please feel free to suggest away!  I appreciate it!

A little about where I am moving.  Its in far south Saint Petersburg. It is surrounded by water in close proximity (I can see it clearly from my place), and some coconut and other very tropical palms are growing and thriving near by.   Below are a couple of photos of the area via map.  I will be living basically right where it says "Seapointe Terrace) 

(edit - I did not place this in the palms in pots forums because it will get far more traffic here, and, I also may be able to plant something in the actual ground) 

new home area.PNG

new home zoom.PNG

• Upvote 3

Welcome to Florida! I drive by your house Monday through Friday on my way to work. Yes lots of coconuts and royals in the area. Very beautiful area and lots of activities within walking distance. Good luck with the drive.

• Upvote 3

I think Licuala grandis is great in pots. 

• Upvote 2

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Bottle palms, Ravenea Hildebrandtii, Christmas palm. 

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Congrats and good luck on the move.. you'll really like the area.  Had time been on my side the first time id lived in FL., i'd planned on moving somewhere within St. Pete. when my lease had expired in Clearwater. Very progressive, lively, and laid back. Always something going on and you don't have to fight traffic to get across the bay to Tampa entertainment unless you choose to. You'll likely meet many great palm people there as well.  Keep us updated as you get settled in.

Aside from all the great suggestions above, make a beeline for Kopsick, if you haven't had the palmy pleasure already while visiting town before the move. Even if some of the palms might be too big to consider for containers, you may never leave the park, lol 

• Upvote 1

I've passed that spit of land on my way over the Sky Bridge. Always admired the great views. If you have an area that doesn't get a lot of sun, some of the smaller Chamaedoreas are very choice. Also, if you can find them, dwarf cultivars of Dypsis lutescens, Rhapis laosensis. I agree you should check out botanical gardens nearby. St. Pete should have some independent nurseries (I think at least one is a member here). When fall/winter comes there will be weekend tropical plant sales all over your area. And don't be afraid to drive to the East Coast to check out rare palm offerings. Think of going on a treasure hunt.

Welcome to FL. I've followed your posts over time because I grew up in NOVA and raised a family in Alexandria for 14 years.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Chambeyronia macrocarpa (flamethrower) , Verschaffeltia splendida , coconut, spindle, bottle.

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

How about Pinanga coronata and Areca vestiaria ('Red'/'Maroon' so you get nice clumps)? Mine are kicking butt and taking names within their pots :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Thanks for all of the replies!   Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on.  Busy week with the move!  So happy to finally be percent resident of Saint Petersburg Florida after decades of visiting.  Love this place.   It's so vibrant now and only getting better.   A lively, forward thinking / progressive City with a Tropicsl climate is exactly what I wanted.    Now that it's all done and we're begining to get settled I will begin to turning my attention to this awesome space.   

One thing is for sure, this place is loaded with coconut palms and many very tall ones (40-50 feet). Most that are not trimmed are loaded with large coconuts too.  The one on the beach here downtown right on Tampa bay  seems to get trimmed.  Or perhaps it just dies t fruit as I saw dead inflorescence on it and the ones alive has no cocos.    Trying to load it from my phone and if course it won't work. :angry:   I guess I will have to wait to show you guys some photos.   As it is having to email myself photos then re download them smaller then having to re upload them here is too much of a PITA.   Why can't that be fixed?   its 2017.  Most things are done with phones.  I don't have internet yet either so phone is the only way for me for now.  

Anyway once I get this worked out I'll share some pics of my space and from the area    Thanks for all of the great suggestions!    Cheers!!!!